Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Road bike groupset qs
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

What compares to deore/slx/xt/xtr?

njee20
    Free Member

Shimano Sora/Tiagra/105/Ultegra/Dura Ace

SRAM Apex/Rival/Force/Red

rob-jackson
    Free Member

so sora = deore
    tiagra = slx
    105 = xt
    what parts make the most difference? shifters and then mechs like mtb?

wallop

The thumb shift on the Sora is difficult to reach from the hoods IIRC.

I have 105 shifters with Ultegra rear derailleur – buttery smooth, more than adequate for my needs.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Rear mechs make little difference above the cheap ones. Ditto re. sti imo.the benefits are gradual- lower weight, better sealing in bearings etc.

sambob
    Free Member

Sora = acera, Tiagra = Deore, 105 = SLX, Ultegra = XT, Dura Ace = XTR
    Tiagra just works, good for anyone just commuting and occasional riding IMO. You’re in the Peaks aren’t you? If you’re near Whaley Bridge before next wednesday, you’d probably be welcome to try my dad’s Tiagra shitfters/Ultegra/SLX mech Scott CX.
    EDIT: Sora shifters are awful, Not possible to reach the thumb shifter in the drops and they jam if you overshift. Tiagra have been fine for me.

_tom_
    Free Member

The thumb shift on the Sora is difficult to reach from the hoods IIRC.

I found it easy to reach on the hoods, not so easy on the drops. I don’t really use the drops much anyway so it didn’t bother me that much.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

essentially i have a road bike to use for 6 months before a 60 mile leg in a triathlon (as a team of 3 so no great shakes)
    Just want to get my head around stuff if i enjoy road riding tbh

stoney
    Free Member

If you can afford it then go for the Campagnolo, even the lower end stuff like centaur etc are really good. Take a look at the Ergos....They are more compact than the Shimanos (shorter length in the body) and the brake lever doesnt move sideways at all, and you dont get that hideous cable coming out of the side!!!!!! 👿 The inner lever for the down and the inner thumb button for the up. Also you can drop all cogs in 1 go by holding the button, and a full push of the lever will bring 3/4 sprockets up on the down shift. 🙂

Ive used them for 10 years and find them the best. Ive also tried using the Ergos on Sram cassettes and it works, this was after reading this………

http://velonews.competitor.com/2008/03/bikes-and-tech/can-you-run-campy-shifters-with-a-sram-drivetrain-sure-why-not_73404

Hope this helps!!!!!!!! 😉

EDIT….

Im currently on Sram Force (cos it was on the Trek when i ordered it) and could`nt stretch to the Campag,the Sram shifters are good but not the same as Campag!

colande
    Free Member

there is also the shimano 2300 groupset,
    which is 8sp and is groupset one below sora.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

thats what i currently have

Jamie
    Free Member

I would say, if your going for Shimano, you do not want anything below Tiagra for the shifters.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Tiagra is great IMO. Average group set for a very average rider. Legs and fitness make the biggest difference. There’s an old boy in our club who wipes the floor of most of the riders and he has got sora all round.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Campagnolo

11 speed – Athena, Chorus, Record, Super Record (record and s.record now available in EPS electronic for silly money)
    10 speed – Veloce, Centaur

I think they’ve stopped doing the lower end 10 spd stuff like Mirage (which i’ve got on my cx bike and is ok).

I’ve got carbon chorus 11 on my main bike and it’s very nice indeed. Brakes are excellent and shifting v.crisp. No problems using the thumb shifter from the drops and you can shift multiple gears in both directions easily.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Had shimano sora shifters on my old trek and they were pretty awful, as were the non-branded brakes supplied and the bonty chainset (08 trek 1.5)

cynic-al
    Free Member

Campag v shimano is very subjective, neither is demonstrably better overall.

stoney
    Free Member

That makes 2 thumbs up for Campag! 😛

wallop

I found it easy to reach on the hoods, not so easy on the drops. I don’t really use the drops much anyway so it didn’t bother me that much.

Ah yes – just checked my other half’s bike – I got it the wrong way round.

mrmo
    Free Member

If you have the choice, try Sram, Shimano and Campag, and see which you prefer. To be honest they are all much of a muchness. I would say Sram is overpriced though.

My choice is Campag, partly i prefer its action and partly it looks much more appropriate on a Steel frame.

To answer the OP,

Veloce, Centaur, Athena, Chorus, Record, Super Record and then there are the two electronic sets, one based on Record the other on Super Record. You do sometimes find old stock of Xenon and Mirage, which slot in below Veloce. Campag don’t make a cheap groupset anymore, cheaper yes, just not cheap.

stoney
    Free Member

Come on you Campag lovers……Keep posting 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I like sram rival cos its black and loads lighter than the equivalent others

ojom
    Free Member

Worth popping into a shop and having a feel of different brands STI’s. I have trouble with the new flatter Shimano design and like the older (5600 for example) shape of lever and grip.

Use Campagnolo now as my lady hands fit it beautifully and the levers feel right nice.

Other than that they all shift as well as each other like Al points out. You really just get lighter action and weight as you spend more. It’s not like anyone makes stuff that doesn’t work – it tends to break down into what you like the look of and can afford.

Also, you may not like the way SRAM shifts so try that as well.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve got SRAM Rival on one bike and Tiagra on the other. The Rival is ok, rather agricultural shifting and the doubleshift thing isn’t the most intuitive. I find the Tiagra nicer to us.

I’ve had Sora before and never had any trouble with it.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Road bike groupset qs’ is closed to new replies.