Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Road bike advice – chainring sizes.
  • rigid_carbon
    Free Member

Please help.

I am looking to change my chainset and want to fit an Ultegra sl double.
    At the moment I have a 105 50/34 set up , running 11/25 on the back. I am strugling to find a 50/34 without busting the bank, but 53/39 are a plenty.

Question then, is there a massive difference when you change the chainrings on the front ? I do tend to spin out occasionally with the 50t, and hardly use the 34t chainring where I live.

Thanks.
    (novice roadie)

cynic-al
    Free Member

Go 39/53 or 42/52 then.

Any reason for the “upgrade”?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If your a real roadie get the 53/39

If you mince along at walking pace get the compact

Frankenstein
    Free Member

If you’re spinning out then a 53/39 will be fine but if you have steep climbs then yes 39 can be tough but I’ve been fine.

You could always change the cassette for 12-27 if you train on hills in the future.

Go for it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’m not an expert but you might want to check that your front mech is compatible with different chainring sizes.

And yes you are right that compact is a bit poofy.

Mincer

I run a 50:39 (105) – my legs struggle to push a 53 round unless I’m going downhill or am at the big end of the cassette….it’s rare for me to spin out on the 50 though…

ourmaninthenorth

A standard chainset will be fine if you’re regularly spinning out a compact on a 12 sprocket (c.40 mph, I’d guess).

Oh, and if you are regularly doing 40mph on the flat, get a TT bike and break some records….

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Road bike advice – chainring sizes.’ is closed to new replies.