Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • Rivington steps question?
  • GavinB

I’ve never ridden off the Pike that^^ way – much better fun IMO riding down the ‘Eliminator’.

As for this bit, I’d only ever go there after 6pm mid-week – check out cheekytrails.co.uk for confirmation that this is ok (Rule #1: After 6pm every trail is available to bikers)

This trail is most definitely technical, and if you could get down in one piece, could be considered a lot of fun. 😀

izakimak
    Free Member

think i’ll go have a look at them steps not saying i’ll ride them but i’ll have a look

nick1962
    Free Member

Never having been there I may be talking b****x,but am I missing something that the photos don’t show? Why ride down the steps at all?
    There looks like plenty of challenging technical steep stuff “off road”(rather than on footpath) to tackle…
    Oh and one other thing that confuses me is why when folk on here are riding down Snowdon or some other big mountain they go on about the best(read smoothest/easiest)line but when steps are involved everyone wants to “clean them”. Why when there is usually a perfectly good line away from the steps through the woods etc?

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

for crying out loud!!! it was only a frickin question … i wished i had’nt bothered asking now, FFS there’s some Owd nannys on here

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Those steps are knarl.

Good to see you out gav…believe you were with KKF couple of weeks back round H Nab.

Agree re Pike line……whats the point, better off doin the line round the back.

My mate Si does the pike steps …..pointless but steep. There you go.

nick1962
    Free Member

Ive seen the light!
    I will be off to Rivi over Easter to try the steps challenge 😉
    I’ll be bringing my SS rigid 29er..and my nascent beard

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

was it one of them cheap chinese copy lights? 😉

nick1962
    Free Member

was it one of them cheap chinese copy lights

Quite the opposite.
    Titanium casing hand carved by Vestal Virgins with totally organic recyclable glow worms inside giving 10 million lumens. Recommended by someone on here surprisingly. 🙂

GW
    Free Member

don’t really get why anyone still wears a watch when almost everyone has a mobile on them (or within easy reach) at all times

geordiemick00
    Free Member

Some pointers chaps, when I did the video it was as the title suggests a ‘play around’. It was one of my first rides from crashing not even three weeks earlier and was carrying a cracked knee and two cracked ribs, so the fact I got up there in itself amazed me and secondly as I had heavy scabs on my knee I couldn’t wear pads, so some bits were a bit of a no no. I’ve not been riding more than 18 months so I’m not expecting people to be in awe of my work.

With regards to the dabbing comment, I had to dab as my foot unclipped half way down and I couldn’t get it back in and concentrate so hence the dab, but again no pads so I was taking my time

mr_mills
    Free Member

my foot unclipped half way down…

flat pedals are the future!

lowey

GM.. I thought it was a great vid.. good speed down the ICR on the proper route too. Bit more loose at the moment.. was all over the place on it last night.

Nick1962.. people wanna ride them cause they are there. Its like climbing a big **** off hill… no other reason than its there. Steps like these are a technical challenge and one that give you a certain buzz when you get to the bottom unscathed. Remember, fear releases the brains good stuff.

I could not ride them and am happy to know that they are beyond my mind. Have ridden the steps from the pike without too many issues, but I find the best descent is back down the spiral and then turn right and FLY down the road… but then I love speed.

What I’m trying to say is that its all good. As long as we are smiling at the end then its mission accomplished.

Only other thing I;d say is DONT go within 5 miles of Rivi over Easter.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes the burger vans are up there already also did ICR yesterday seemed to be rockier but not done it on FS for ages
    izakimak you should stand a decent chance of clearing and I will video your attempt.
    The rocky drops folowed by the ruts is the best way down.
    Stay away this weekend esp Friday will be heaving.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

could’nt have put it any better me’self Lowey ;O)

crispo
    Free Member

I did wonder why there was a portable cafe up at the top as I rode through last night!
    Its amazing how dry everything is round there at the moment, even the bumpy track around to belmont road is almost dry at the moment!

samuri
    Free Member

Alright, now I know which steps you’re talking about. Pretty sure we did those way back. I’ll do ’em again next time I’m up there, see if I can get a video of it.

D0NK

Yea DONK thems the buggers, you done Em then?

Ridden most of it yeah, pretty sure I haven’t ridden that steep section at the bottom, dunno tho, used to do a lot of riding through the gardens years ago, haven’t bothered much lately.

Junkyard
    Free Member

packs camera for tonights ride

Vortexracing

piccies please Junkyard.

I’ll have a shufty tomorrow night.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

DONK, the steep bit is in the middle really, the first and last 50mtrs look quite doable … the middle bit has me sphincter nipping just walking down em, Lol

kaesae
    Free Member

What this thread needs is video footage!

Vortexracing

What this thread needs is video footage!

You mean of somebody going ar$e over t1t down the steep bit.

sefton
    Free Member

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

very nice vid Sefton BUT them’s not the steps

trailmoggy
    Free Member

done them a few years ago when i was daft…i seem to remember the drop at the bottom giving me the shock of my life

philfive
    Free Member

which is the best way up to winter hill from the pike?

bazza17
    Free Member

follow the road round past the kennels then drop down the hill and you’ll come to a right hand bent – go left there over a gate which then links up to the road. When you hit the tarmac, hang a left and follow your nose to the masts. There is also a path next to the kennels that does the same but think thats cheeky…

Vortexracing

Righto gents, just come back from a night ride with the lads and to be honest I was quite chuffed with myself and Grant as we rode them right up to this point.

Image0053 by eastham_david, on Flickr

then when we looked down we saw this 😯

Image0054 by eastham_david, on Flickr

and thought $h1te!!!!!!!!

only then to see the 2nd switchback.

Image0052 by eastham_david, on Flickr

At this point we carried the bikes down, does this count BTW? 😀

I will be very impressed with anybody who can ride down those. You must have big gonads and a lot of skill.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

yup, thems the buggers (again) scary mary! Lol

Vortexracing

It’s a long way down if things go a bit t1ts up that’s for sure.

nick1962
    Free Member

Looks like it needs trial rider type skills (age 14)rather than trail rider skills (age 41)to get round that corner 🙂
    Not my forte for sure!
    If it can’t be made easier with a bit more speed then I’m goosed and this certainly fits the bill.Though there does look a line down across the grass to the left of the top step , bypassing the corner which is what I would choose…but that doesn’t really count does it?

lowey

I think the only way your gonna be able to get round them is with a bit of trials skill, hopping the back wheel round etc. But then thats just me, I’m crap at steps.

sutty
    Free Member

Go full bore from winter hill, down to the main road & what a RIDE that is! 😀 must be a mile downhill that makes your arm dumb before you reach the bottom 😆
    on the steps note, does anyone ever ride up them ? my m8’s a ex trails riders & the B****** can ride up most sets of steps which really pisses me off & i wish i had his skills
    🙁

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Ive done them once, just go a bit quicker than you think you should and skid “a bit” round the left hand bit,makes you “nip up” a tad though.

Not somert you do ever ride, rubbish route really.

Too slow and you stall.

BTW Gavin B has a cheeky drop off near his house that he lulls you into at full gas in near dark conditions. 😯 (done it a few times since Gav, its a nice decent to finish on)

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

i’d like to see some video evidence of such skills 😉

oreetmon
    Free Member

easy (ahem),

the steps in the valley, back of darwen tower on the the way to tockholmes are where its at. only ever cleaned them once, tried plenty times over the years as well.

sanmarino was nuts today, fierce cross wind making every drop sketchy , seen a crazy 1 foot square sink hole on the way down too,,,, glad i missed it, proper wheel folder if you hit it at pace.
    the other steep decent towards great hill, off the back of the mast was dry n fast though, pity my newly bled brakes gave up halfway down

did the ICR for the first time in a while as well and it was rough as ken BABIES YEDs all the way down,,,,,thank fk for bash guards,,,, woohoo :twisted:.

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Rivington steps question?’ is closed to new replies.