Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Ripping your knob's off! …….Maxxis HR2s
  • bowglie

Cleaning my bike and noticed that most of the knobs on the front HR2 (3c maxxterra) are starting to shear off – has anyone else had this happen? If so, is it a warranty job? Reason I ask is because the tyre is fairly new, and even the Trailstar HD I was previously running lasted longer on the same terrain.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Mine did that on the rear. Less rolling resistance now innit

clubby

My rear looked destroyed after only a week of Whistler riding. Still riding fine though so I’m not going to worry.
    The price you pay for the softer compound on the edges. Wouldn’t buy 3C again though unless I had absolutely no choice, will be sticking to the 60a in future.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Interestingly The STs seem to last longer

Kahurangi

Yep, had that. Everyone I know running the 3C compound had that.

br
    Free Member

Yep, had that. Everyone I know running the 3C compound had that.

Had mine 6 months on the front now, a 2.4 3C, no more wear than I’d expect tbh and ridden 2-3 times per week in the Tweed Valley – so plenty of rocks etc.

chakaping
    Free Member

Been riding mine six months or so on the front and it’s deteriorating badly.

The DHR2 (60a) on the rear is still looking fine though.

Have ridden it a lot and it wasn’t expensive, so I won’t bother trying to warranty it with the French mail order retailer.

It’s such a good tyre that I’d probably buy one again anyway TBH.

Kahurangi

Had mine 6 months on the front now, a 2.4 3C, no more wear than I’d expect tbh and ridden 2-3 times per week in the Tweed Valley – so plenty of rocks etc.

26″ or 27″?

I hardly think of myself as the gnarliest rider but I destroyed a rear in a few months. Front was looking pretty bad after 6 months. Mates killed them much quicker (both 27.b” x 2.4). Tweed valley riding is comparable to what we were riding too, just wetter & muddier.

ks562
    Free Member

Next Day Tyres refunded me for this, HR2 3Cmaxterra (29 inch) lost a load of knobs within three weeks. Now running the 60a compound and no issues.

mikeep
    Free Member

3C on the rear, it’s gonna happen. Good up front tho.

sprocker
    Free Member

Destroyed mine on the front in a week in the Alps, sheared one of altogether and will not hold tubeless now

Sui
    Free Member

Same here, front and rear (26″ if it matters). The front is OK, but the rear well and truly knackered. Oddly, the rear went bad pretty quickly, but then it’s holding up bloomin well considering it looks trashed.

I’ll be going back to 60a on the rear (maybe minion) and keep 3c on the front.

ks562 – Member
    Next Day Tyres refunded me for this

did they now, they told me they’d never heard of it!

ks562
    Free Member

Yep, other half emailed them saying he’d been using it as front tyre and the nobs had started to wear down far too quick. Next day asked us to send it back to them and he received a full refund. Can dig you out the email?

**edit I’m sure I did it this as I’d read on here about other people sending them back with the same issue?

ks562
    Free Member

Here we go http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/maxxis-3c-compound-lifespan several posts down about next day tyre refunds.

Sui
    Free Member

cheers for that KS, must have missed that originally. Bit late now, I’ve had them about 10 months!

daver27
    Free Member

Brake less…

bowglie

Brake less…

. Hee hee, yea, that’ll do it. I reckon my braking and cornering style are to blame – hard & late and get it over on its edges:)) I run an Ardent or 60a HR2 on the back, and have had no issues there – I’ve now put the 60a HR2 on the front. Original intention was to put the 3C HR back on for a trip to the Alps, but I’m not sure it’ll last a couple of weeks of that!

FWIR, I got the tyre from Stif, so will give them a try (not expecting much though).

Cheers for the feedback.

Kahurangi

No sure what you’re doing with the quotes there bro.

FWIW having tried HR2s once, for an all-round trail tyre I’mm probably have a go with minion DHF2/DHR2 combo next time I go Maxxis.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Any tyre with a soft compound that’s ridden hard will wear out. I’ve known people wear out tyres (in a variety of brands and compounds) in less than a week in Morzine or uplifting.

chakaping
    Free Member

These 3C HR2s seem particularly prone to crumbly knob syndrome though.

I usually get a year or two out of 3C tyres with similar levels of use.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Ripping your knob's off! …….Maxxis HR2s’ is closed to new replies.