Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • maxxis 3c compound lifespan?
  • trusty

I’ve had about 3 months on a 3c high roller on the front of my 29er trail bike and the side knobs are splitting / tearing off the carcass.
    The tread pattern still looks virtually new though, is life expectancy on these usually this poor? I know it won’t last as long as a standard compound but I’ve had super tacky tires that have lasted longer!

reedspeed
    Free Member

I’ve got the same front with no problems whatsoever !,I guess it all depends on terrain ,pressures, riding style etc etc !,and suspension if you’re pushing the front ??…you could just slow down !

Sui
    Free Member

My pair on a 26 both looked **** after about 2months of moderate use. The Tyres looked as though they had aged like 5year old tyres, cracking all ove.. I’ve continued to use them for the last 8months and they are exactly the same, I.e no further deterioration… Very odd. Maxxis importer hadn’t heard of it before..

Sui
    Free Member

My pair on a 26 both looked **** after about 2months of moderate use. The Tyres looked as though they had aged like 5year old tyres, cracking all ove.. I’ve continued to use them for the last 8months and they are exactly the same, I.e no further deterioration… Very odd. Maxxis importer hadn’t heard of it before..

rickon
    Free Member

The 3c compound isn’t really for trail riding, the dual compound would be better for that.

The 3c is pretty soft side knobs which will wear out quick on hardpack.

My minion 3c lasted about 4 months on the front on muddy and rooty trails, but after a few rides on hardpack its for the bin.

trusty

Looks about normal it seems. Standard compound in future then! I don’t know if I trust it leave it on. I’ve had a few moments when it’s felt like the fronts about to go which may have been the knobs folding. Now what to replace it with… 😉

Chipbutty
    Free Member

My 3C HR2 went the same way (on the front) now been replaced with a Vigilante.

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve heard the 3C Minion DHR2 doesn’t crack like the HR2 because the side knobs are thicker and thus less prone to folding over. I’ve only had one for a fortnight so ask me if that’s true in a few months!

boxxer7
    Free Member

3c highroller 2 here with 1200 miles on no problems whatsoever

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Got a HR2 when I bought my 29fs for the rear, 3c compound. Lasted 152km before I noticed all the side knobbles and mid ramps were cracked and coming off. Next day tyres gave me a full refund. I was quite relieved, as it was shit on my local muddy trails.

tomhoward

Got them on three bikes (1x 26, 2x 27.5) aged 13 and 10 months on the 27.5s and 2 months on the 26. No problems to report.

stany
    Free Member

HR2 3C’s here. Been on since Autumn and ridden almost every week in all conditions. No issues at all.
    Sui – you managed to tear your tyre on St Martha’s. It’s nowt but sand up there. Must be something to do with the pig iron it’s mounted to 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I can only assume it was a bit of a one off/bad batch type scenario, as I’ve never had such issues with maxxis tyres. The shorty I put on the front at the same time is mint, and a fantastic tyre.

Sui
    Free Member

shut it Stany, it’s outlived the 2 brothers plastic bikes you sold.. 😛

rocketman
    Free Member

No problems with Maxxis 3C other than I don’t like them. Much prefer gluey single compounds

AlexSimon

My problem with the 3C so far (130 dusty km) is that centre knobs aren’t hard enough. So it’s wearing pretty fast all over.

Northwind

My hr2 on the front sees mostly hard stuff I suppose, it’s worn a fair bit on the shoulders and the knobs have rounded/broken up more than I’d like but it still seems to work OK- it’s not like, say, a nobby nic where as soon as the knobs lose their shape it’s awful.

ahsf
    Free Member

Had a minion dhf (26″) c3 on the front lasted 6 months hard riding in the Alps, side knobs was ragged as expected,but it was bought in 2013 so was not a new edition.

trusty

I’ve never had any problems with maxxis before, I used to run a super tacky minion in summer and swamp thing up front in winter, both lasted surprisingly well and were ace. The side knobs in my high roller 2 aren’t worn / breaking up, they’re whole but just not attached to the tyre properly! I’ll probably replace it with a butcher as I’ve already got one, see how that goes

glasgowdan
    Free Member

My mates newish shortys has cracking on many of the knobbles…tyre manufs need to address this as customers aren’t interested in tyres that fail before wearing out.

simon80
    Free Member

Just remounted my 3c exo DHR2 on the back after another tyre failed spectacularly to stay on. All the side knobs are torn around the Base. Probably had it on the rear for 18 months – normal? I don’t even consider myself to be a fast rider..?

bigjim

my 3C shorty on the front hasn’t rounded off too much but I can see where the side knobs join the outside of the tyre are looking like they could start to crack soon. I am 85kg in my bra and panties though and it’s a very good tyre so not too upset

bigjim

Probably had it on the rear for 18 months – normal?

6 months on the back is good for me nevermind with a softer compound

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘maxxis 3c compound lifespan?’ is closed to new replies.