• This topic has 21 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by mrmo.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • ripped off headtube!
  • legend76
    Free Member

has anyone actually done this before,if so how?

david_r
    Free Member

2-3 years ago we were doing the Mega and there was a guy on an Orange hardtail who had snapped his frame. The top tube and down tube had snapped; not at the head tube but pretty close.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

A couple of years back one of the Ticket2Ride guides ripped the headtube off his Commencal Supreme DH (looked like the weld failed) shortly after landing a large drop when he clipped a stump.

Phil_H

Saw Iain Macintosh remove the headtube from a morewood at an SDA race at Alvie several years ago.
    He popped off a drop at pace and it all went horribly wrong.

Speshpaul

Seen a orange 222 seperate at the welds to the head tube.

foxyrider
    Free Member

wwaswas

oddly that seems to have had the headtube removed altogether.

[Edit] clicked the photo and read the story. oops.

z1ppy

FR, as per wwaswas comments bit weird, but the skid marks on the concrete just make me wince.

clubber
    Free Member

My mate removed the headtube on his Kona Chute on a set of doubles, landing a bit off line (looked pretty innocent at the time). He replaced it with a Stab which he then did the same thing to on the same set of doubles 🙂

Wozza
    Free Member
    burmaboy
    Free Member

i hit a ripped mine of my marin quake dual hardtail by abusing i through trials and dirt. Landed on both sides of a double's landing !! My mates just pissed themselves!

wwaswas

well, at least you got to go home with dry trousers.

ddmonkey

I saw more than one Commencal frame in bits at the Mega this year… One had snapped just about every tube going it was amazing! No idea how it happened.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

LOL@wwaswas

I was pretty funny until we realised it was a long walk home. For him.

crazy-legs

I saw a couple of snapped frames during last years Three Peaks CX race, both separated at the headtube.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I landed a jumped and snapped the head tube off my old marin. This was years ago though, never done it since. Not a nice experience either

adeward
    Free Member

I used to work "in the trade" we had a bike back with the head tube pulled off, the owner claimed he just hit a curb,, claimed for all sorts of stuff and a huge dental bill if i remeber rightly

a few months later a video appeared on you tube of the owner jumping off a band stand landing on the front wheel snapping off the headtube,, eating tarmac and the ambulance,,

some curb Sir

ferrit
    Free Member

Ae forest:

jam-bo

my mate snapped the headtube clean off his glory in whistler this summer.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I saw more than one Commencal frame in bits at the Mega this year… One had snapped just about every tube going it was amazing! No idea how it happened.

I've seen most of these making there way back to the lakes now looks messy, there is a picture round of him with it in a supermarket trolly

leftyboy
    Free Member

About ten years ago did this to my GT STS when I didn't see a 4 foot deep 18 inch wide ditch because it was hidden in long grass!

mrmo
    Free Member

why do you think Cannondale got the name crack 'n fail? on the 18" 3 series frames the weld surface wasn't enough to hold and the headtubes regularly came off. saw a few.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘ripped off headtube!’ is closed to new replies.