Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • RIP Maj Dick Winters
  • bikemonkey
    Free Member

I love the Band of Brothers miniseries and book.

Sad to see that Major Richard Winters has died, although it’s good that he reached a grand old age and got to see the world he fought to protect whilst many of his comrades didn’t.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12158637

I know there are a great number of other heroes from WW2, but I’m glad I’ve heard his story and was always impressed with the respect and affection he earned from his men which was papable even in interviews some 50 years later.

Please suspend the comments about whether or not we should praise warriors, and the rights and wrongs of war in general. He seems to be a genuinely good man who did an exceptional job in a god-awful situation.

Harry_the_Spider

Watching Band of Brothers on DVD at the moment. That news will make the next episode even sadder.

RIP Major Winters

skiboy
    Free Member

+1 for the boss of easy company, one of my favourite books too, he helped to free the world make no mistake.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Indeed.
    I first thought Winters was way to “right stuff” to be remotely believable and was astonished to find out how realistic his portrayal was. Really want to say something else, but lost for wordsw.

Daniel
    Free Member

Read about this yesterday. My wife bought me Band of Brothers on DVD for Christmas I’ve been watching them on by one over the past couple of weeks. Last night I watched ‘Points’ which was made all the more poignant.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

RIP a true hero.

brick
    Free Member

Good OP. RIP Dick.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Yes.

McHamish
    Free Member

Officers at this level are the glue in an army, without them the army just falls apart.

Winters was an example of someone who was a born leader, and someone who did his job well – leading front line troops into war.

Glad to see he led a long life…and hope he didn’t suffer too greatly.

pedalhead
    Free Member

BigButSlimmerBloke – Member

Indeed.
    I first thought Winters was way to “right stuff” to be remotely believable and was astonished to find out how realistic his portrayal was.

Yep I totally agree. A proper hero by all accounts.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

On the band of brothers theme, I’m glad I read the book before watching the series. I think there was certain details or background that you would have missed if you hadn’t read the book. Eg the 1st jump with the ‘british leg bag’ .

Again thanks to the heroes like Major Winters.

hora
    Free Member

No 🙁

Also read the books.

RIP. It looks like the Band of Brothers boxset is coming out tonight.

trailmonkey

A remarkable man in the right place at the right time.

An excellent innings.

RIP.

Blower
    Free Member

The books a good read then?

backhander
    Free Member

RIP Maj Winters, your record speaks for itself.
    An amazing man who really does qualify for the title of “hero”.
    I wonder if he will get a posthumous MOH? Many have been campaigning for a while.

trailmonkey

Excellent, as is the documentary that preceeded the B of B series.

McHamish
    Free Member

They tend to award MOH for individual acts of bravery above and beyond the call of duty, not for being an exceptional soldier or officer generally.

Sgt John Basilone for example (read or watch Pacific) was awarded his for shooting ‘hundreds’ of Japanese soldiers over a few nights at Guadalcanal with his heavy caliber machine gun. And running backwards and forwards resupplying his soldiers and covering different charges from the Japanese. Although what he actually achieved was exaggerated to support the war bond effort. When asked he always stated that his men were awarded the medal, and he just wears it for them.

Blower
    Free Member

railmonkey – Member

Excellent, as is the documentary that preceeded the B of B series.

what documntary is this?

gravitysucks
    Free Member

RIP to a truly great man.

For those that haven’t seen the series its going for a bargain on play at the mo

Play

hora
    Free Member

Ah, just bought the old TRIBE series. No BoB for me tonight

transporter13
    Free Member

Also a fan of the BOB series….He is one of the few people that I’d seriously call a Legend

Without him and his comrades, just think where we might be now

R I P

LycraLout
    Free Member
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘RIP Maj Dick Winters’ is closed to new replies.