• This topic has 39 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • RIP Davy Jones
  • Harry_the_Spider

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfuBREMXxts&feature=fvwrel[/video]

Pigface
    Free Member

🙁

matthew_h
    Free Member

Really?

He can’t have been that old really

Harry_the_Spider

oldfart

😥

matthew_h
    Free Member

Not good

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

🙁

The best manufactured band ever.

DezB
    Free Member

Ah, thats sad. I love the Monkees and he was a local, from Bedhampton I believe.
    Rip.

oldfart

any linky ?

project
    Free Member

He was on the tv at the weekend about the creation of boy bands, and looked well, in fact like a chubby version of Richard Hamomnd.

Harry_the_Spider
    DezB
    Free Member

Erm, this isn’t on the BBC or Yahoo… TMZ looks reet dodgy.

higthepig
    Free Member

Part of my ‘yoof’ the Monkees 🙁

highclimber
    Free Member

wasn’t he the only talented one out of the monkees? I remember a story that they used other people to sing the songs on their programme etc.

sad news

Blackhound

Sad at not really old age these days. I seem to recall hearing that the 4 were put together because they could not be sent to ‘Nam for one reason or another. One had flat feet and Davy was of course British.

CountZero

wasn’t he the only talented one out of the monkees? I remember a story that they used other people to sing the songs on their programme etc.
    sad news

I would suggest you check out the recorded works of Mike Nesmith. Not only can he sing, but he’s a damn good songwriter as well. He had chart success with Rio and Silver Moon. All the band could sing, but early on may have had some help from session musicians in the studio. Like many others have, over the years. Listen to Daydream Believer, it’s quite clearly Davy Jones singing it.
    A sad loss, the Monkees were a pretty good pop band, made a bunch of good songs over the years.

totalshell

used to rush home to see the Monkees, grew my hair gagging for a bobble hat.. too young RIP

jools182
    Free Member

😮 Too young by far

R.I.P.

duckman

Part of my early childhood,summer seemed so long then. RIP

DezB
    Free Member

I was in a band once and we covered Daydream Believer in a punk stylee. Good bassline 🙂

plumber
    Free Member

Shame

Watching him on boy bands, seemed a nice enough chap

Trampus
    Free Member

RIP, Davy. Your grave will probably remain empty at the funeral, ‘cos we’re too busy singing to put anybody down!’

I’ll always remember you as Ena Sharples’ grandson.

Napalm
    Free Member

This Monkees Gone To Heaven.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Sad – I like the monkees

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Part of my early childhood,summer seemed so long then. RIP

plus 1

Curly68
    Free Member

I was going to see them last year until they pulled out of the show.
    Really enjoyed the shows and the songs.
    RIP Davy

speaker2animals

I was born in 61. Not sure what years the show was originally shown on Friday teatimes I’d suspect 66/67? I remember crying like a little kid (oh yeah I was one) in the episode where Davy was having to return to the UK and split the band up. Of course something happened to save the day.

RIP fella.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Bugger.

RIP.

mamadirt
    Free Member

😥 RIP

Trampus
    Free Member

At first I couldn’t believe it when Mrs T told me. Then I saw her face. Now I’m a bereaver. 🙁

souldrummer
    Free Member

Real shame. I remember watching the TV show as a kid.. In fact I got into a lot of bother as I preferred them to the Beatles and the Stones which was VERY uncool back then….and may well still be!!!!

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

I’m a bereaver 🙄

colournoise

The Monkees are/were the anti-One direction. Proof that made-up bands can create pop genius given the right circumstances.

May not have been great at first, but worked and grew into themselves. A great self-fulfilling pop prophecy.

RIP Mr Jones.

slainte 🙁 rob

pitduck
    Free Member

Trampus 😆

AndyP
    Free Member

Disappointing. I always thought he’d be on a ship and fall overboard and drown.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I’ve just played Pleasant Valley Sunday as tribute to Mr Jones … A stroke of genius as it seems to describe a great many stw forum users 😉

IHN

Proof that made-up bands can create pop genius given the right circumstances.

To be fair, the band didn’t do a lot of the ‘creating’, at least in the early days, many of the songs were written by established artists (Daydream Believer is a Neil Diamond track IIRC).

However, RIP.

IHN

My mistake, it was I’m A Believer. Quite an illustrious song-writing line-up

Their hits came from some of the greatest up-and-coming pop songwriters around. (Not to mention that Stephen Stills auditioned for the TV series and that the Monkees gave a relatively unknown Jimi Hendrix his first, if ill-advised, high-profile break as an opening act in July 1967. Even Frank Zapa made an appearance).

That was Harry Nilsson’s “Cuddly Toy” that Jones made his own.

The Monkees boosted the careers of songwriters and producers Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart making hits of the “Monkees Theme,” “I Wanna Be Free” (another Jones’ signature) and “Last Train to Clarksville.”

Carole King and Gerry Goffin wrote “Take a Giant Step,” the gorgeous “Sometime in the Morning, “Sweet Young Thing” (with Nesmith) and, of course, “Pleasant Valley Sunday.”

Augie Meyers of the Sir Douglas Quintet and Texas Tornados remembers the pandemonium generated by Jones and the Monkees. He’d first met Mike Nesmith in 1958. Nesmith even penned a song for Meyers’ teenage group the Fabulous Goldens — “I Guess I’ll Go Somewhere and Cry.”

“It was like Elvis or the Beatles, you know what I’m saying? Just ahhhhhhh!! Just screaming little teenies,” Meyers recalled.

The Sir Douglas Quintet and Monkees did several dates together. Meyers remembers Jones and the others as nice guys. “We’d hang out backstage,” he said. ”We’d say, Hi.’ And talk for a few minutes. The , ‘See you next time.’”

Meyers praised the Monkees for giving songwriters a break.

“They were a manufactured band. But it would have been fantastic to (get them a song),” he said. “But we were doing it, too, at that point. We had ‘Mendocino’ out.”

Before he became a superstar, Neil Diamond provided the monster hit “I’m a Believer,” as well as “Look Out Here Comes Tomorrow.”

Neil Sedaka and Carole Bayer Sayer contributed “When Love Comes Knockin’ (At Your Door)” to the second album.

Jeff Barry and Marianne Faithfull had a hand in the rocker, “She.”

Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil delivered the haunting “Shades of Gray.” Actor Jack Nicholson even got in on the action during the band’s “Head” period.

Singer-songwriter John Stewart, a second-generation member of the Kingston Trio, produced Jones’ most popular and well-known song, “Daydream Believer.”

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘RIP Davy Jones’ is closed to new replies.