Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • RIP 5 Spot
  • michaelbowden

Well it's a very sad day indeed. My much loved HL 5 spot, upgraded with 5.5 rockers and a RP23 has met its end.

Having just had her painted, she has developed a crack in the seat tube at the taco brace weld. The crack can be seen from inside the seat tube, I use a 400mm post with a good 190mm inside so I have no idea what has caused it.

Anyone heard of this before

So I guess I'll be on the look out for something new, unless anyone has a large front triangle hanging around?!?!?!?

Russell96

Mine died last week too, slightly different place with mine thou down by the main pivot. My week was made worse by the fact that I found a crack in my fave hardtail too in the same week.

clive
    Free Member

Both can be repaired chaps 😀

send me a mail, my address is in my profile

Will send you a phone number of

A friend of mine that used to be a F1 car builder worked on Jackie Stewart's cars ect

He is a samurai with a welding torch 8)

He could repair the frames no problem

They would just need a re-paint

hope this helps

pastcaring
    Free Member

contact turner, they may be able to fix it? if not they do a great trade in deal.

Trailseeker
    Free Member

Russell96 – that machining inside that pivot doesn't look right, what goes in there?
    Whats Turners warrenty? (Prospective 5 spot purchaser)

funkynick

Definitely contact Turner as they are renowned for having some of the best customer service of the industry… just have a look on mtbr for some stories about this.

freeform5spot
    Free Member

+1 for funkynick.

send the frame back to silverfish and I bet that you get lucky.

pastcaring
    Free Member

freeform5spot – Member
    +1 for funkynick.

send the frame back to silverfish and I bet that you get lucky.

don't bother with silverpish, they wont want to know. contact turner direct!

contact

mail::.
    Turner Suspension Bicycles, Inc.
    41615 Date St. #105
    Murrieta, CA. 92562
    Phone: 951-677-1711

trade in
    http://www.turnerbikes.com/010/010faqs/010warranty/crash.html

anc
    Free Member

Mate had a problem with his Large HL front triangle couple of months back he contacted Turner US on the off chance they might still have had some triangles knocking about. No joy I'm afraid. 🙁

NagsNog
    Free Member

Aye, go to Turner direct My Flux cracked 1 year out of warranty, importer did not want to know.
    I emailed Turner they said What size and colour do you want as a replacement , 5 days later the postman handed me a new front end..

Superb and now the only frame i will ever buy..

Quite why the importer would not ask Turner to see if they would help i have no idea..one email , one email…

Nog

coogan
    Free Member

Yeah, defo get in touch with Turner direct.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Yep, contact Turner direct, either Greg or Jarret. Don't waste your time talking to Silverpish. They will probably try to flog you a DW front triangle, such is their knowledge..

auricgoldfinger

Yep – go to Turner direct. I did the other week and got a pivot re-build kit under warranty within a week. By contrast Silverfish wanted £109 for a set.

michaelbowden

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've emailed Greg, fingers crossed.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Yup – broken bits twice on my 2nd hand '02 RFX – both times I got absolutely cracking support from Turner USA. Assuming they have the bits, they'll come up with an answer.

wwaswas

are turner happy that their UK importer is, effectively, driving warranty claims to them direct?

One assumes one of thigns that Silverfish agrees to do as a part of getting frames 'cheap' from Turner and sellign them on is manage warranty issues in the UK.

If Turner have a 'standard' on warranty which Silverfish are failing to uphold then they should be forced to change, not just be kept out of the loop because tyhey are obstructive?

clubber
    Free Member

she has developed a crack in the seat tube at the taco brace weld

Very common for this type of seat brace unfortunately – same happened to my Pace 303.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member
    are turner happy that their UK importer is, effectively, driving warranty claims to them direct?

One assumes one of thigns that Silverfish agrees to do as a part of getting frames 'cheap' from Turner and sellign them on is manage warranty issues in the UK.

If Turner have a 'standard' on warranty which Silverfish are failing to uphold then they should be forced to change, not just be kept out of the loop because tyhey are obstructive?

The OP is talking about a HL Spot which must be from 2004/05 at the latest? So doubt that Silverfish could give a toss and won't stock anything going back further than the DW bikes anyway. Much easier to give Turner a call as they will give some options straight away.

I got my Turner direct after being messed around by Silverfish. So I go direct to Turner. Even if I did go through Silverfish I would still ask Turner first as I know then that I'll get an honest answer.

I know a couple of people that wanted a Spot but decided not to because Silverfish are the importer. As long at Turner get a phat cheque from Silverfish each month I doubt they'd care that much.

pastcaring
    Free Member

I know a couple of people that wanted a Spot but decided not to because Silverfish are the importer. As long at Turner get a phat cheque from Silverfish each month I doubt they'd care that much.

i went to the dutch importer for my 2010 5spot! there is no way on earth i'd ever use silverpish ever again!
    if i had a £ for every time i've herd that…

z1ppy

pastcaring, any cheaper than the UK pricing after P&P or similar costs?

NagsNog
    Free Member

As long at Turner get a phat cheque from Silverfish each month I doubt they'd care that much.

I rekon Turner are one of the few who do really care.

Its not uncommon for the phone to be answered Buy Dave Turner himself when you ring up apparently.
    Over on MTBR on the Turner board he regulaly posts answers to questions.

I do hope they know that Silverfish are rubbish though, i told them of my experience and im sure im not the only one to do so.
    …i remember SilverFish them telling me that there are no issues with Isis BB's 🙄 despite the whole world agreeing they are useless at best…sums it up really…

khani
    Free Member

if your feeling flush, here you go
    ti 26 or 650b 5 spot anyone 8)

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Hang on a minute… 5 reports of broken Turners in 1 thread? Shouldn't we now be thinking of some "hilarious" crack/snap/fail type pun and slagging them off all over the place? 🙄

Surely that's the true mtb forum response?

khani
    Free Member

they are all quite old though, not exactly a commonfail or a crackierre 😆

pastcaring
    Free Member

z1ppy – Member
    pastcaring, any cheaper than the UK pricing after P&P or similar costs?

£1920 delivered. so about the same as here. i wanted a 5spot and was prepared to go the long way round, as long as i didn't have to deal with silverpish.

Bikeboutique Rob Akkermans
    Koolweg 34 6181 bm Elsloo

T | +31-46-4375056
    F | +31-46-4280049
    E | info@bikeboutique.eu
    W | http://www.bikeboutique.eu

i'm sure turner know all about silverpish, and apply pressure when needed!
    funny how the 09 turners that were being sold by crc/merlin were being sold as 2010 stock a few weeks before by silverpish? my dealing with silverpish have under hand at best!

khani
    Free Member

just in case flux owners feel left out

showerman
    Free Member

Have always found going direct to manufacturer is best cuts out the middleman who could end up doing work for nothing so do not care, have had good care from Tomac, even better from Ibis with frames all out of warranty, mate had a ventarner that died deal was good (from turner i think) but we got better from lbs so do not take first offer look around some good deals out there

robinhood
    Free Member

Hi,

This is my first post because although I've been following STW for about 18 months now, I just like to read/listen to the forum and not really say much (comes after living with my wife for 10 years). However, after reading the comments about Silverfish, I felt like I had to say something.

Although I can't comment on Turner frames (never had one), I can say that I've dealt with the staff at Silverfish and found them excellent.

I had a problem with my Rocky Mountain that I needed fixing fast (biking weekend away was approaching) and decided to bypass my local shop as they were giving me the brush-off – Silverfish handled my warranty claim direct. I found them to be very knowledgeable about the bike, pleasant and polite. The whole thing was turned around within about a week and was completely painless. I would highly recommend them – don’t really understand why they would be any different with Turner than they are with Rocky Mountain?

In fact, I even bought a second Rocky Mountain when I decided to go into the full suspension market – I had no concerns whatsoever over their customer service.

I feel better now….

duntstick
    Free Member

And your connection to Silverfish is…………?

chameleon78
    Free Member

OP stated he'd upgraded to 5.5 rockers, are these Turner made? If not I doubt warranty would cover it.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

yeah 5.5 rockers turner made shouldnt be a problem.

Heres my most recent experience with Turner. I didnt go through Silver fish emailed Turner direct.

Hi I have a small crack in the swing arm / chain stay on my TNT 2006 5 spot is it covered under warranty?

Reply for Turner ….. Yeah its covered whats your address.

5 days later new spec asymetric swing arm / chain stay arrives with a bush kit FOC from the states to the UK.

There is no other bike company offering after sales srvice like that! My advice would be to ask if they can help before getting it repaired.

Sanny
    Free Member

Hmmm. Sorry to be the one to tell you but you aren't likely to get a large 5 Spot front triangle as there are none left. Mine broke at the main pivot weld last June. I contacted both Turner and Silverfish. They were very helpful but couldn't find a large frame for me as the old stock has gone. II can't fault either company to be honest. I've also dealt with Silverfish when I found out that my Cove Hummer has an aluminium insert In the headtube which popped out. Litespeed's solution has been to cut out the head tube and reweld the frame. Silverfish have been great and they too have not been impressed by this solution if Litespeed can't source another insert. 😯 Let us know how you get on? Cheers Sanny

freeform5spot
    Free Member

I had a good experience with them and got a warranty replacement DW link with no bother.

robinhood
    Free Member

"duntstick – Member
    And your connection to Silverfish is…………? "

Unfortunately, I am just a lowly civil servant, but would love to work in the trade. I also think highly of Wiggle (again, brilliant customer service), so if either companies are recruiting, can they let me know 😛

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘RIP 5 Spot’ is closed to new replies.