Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Rioja- recommend me a decent one
  • hora
    Free Member

I had a Faustino Rioja last night, I sensed the Rioja taste for a fleeting moment but it was lost in a sea of alcohol/bitterness.

Any recommendations for a stunning Rioja??

binners

I thought this was more your style…..

😉

binners

Oh…. and real cowboys don’t drink wine

IHN

Hora, after last night’s disappointment:

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Not had a decent Rioja for ages – try some of the South American stuff, I find more hits than misses there.

binners

Apparently the Portuguese stuff’s a lot better than the Spanish at the moment. Due to the state of their economy, its distilled from the tears of the unemployed and homeless

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I had a Faustino Rioja last night, I sensed the Rioja taste for a fleeting moment but it was lost in a sea of alcohol/bitterness.

Any recommendations for a stunning Rioja??

MTFU and get some meths you pansy.

Baldysquirt

Langunilla is very nice as is Campo Viejo

elzorillo
    Free Member

Best rioja I ever had was the Paternina gran reserva..

But.. for a more palatable price, try the Paternina banda roja reserva..

pjt201
    Free Member

i’d go with a muga or a puelles (but it’s impossible to get in the uk).

mastiles_fanylion – Member
    Not had a decent Rioja for ages – try some of the South American stuff, I find more hits than misses there.

binners – Member
    Apparently the Portuguese stuff’s a lot better than the Spanish at the moment. Due to the state of their economy, its distilled from the tears of the unemployed and homeless

You guys do know that Rioja is a region in spain with very strict rules about how the wine must be kept/aged? a bit like saying champagne is rubbish, which not get some lambrussco in…

rewski
    Free Member

I recall this being OK, especially if you like hessian, a coarse cloth of mixed hemp and jute.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

You guys do know that Rioja is a region in spain with very strict rules about how the wine must be kept/aged?

Err yes I know Rioja is a region of Spain. 🙄

I meant that I have stopped buying Rioja and buy South American reds (variety of brands, grapes etc), most of which are better than most European wines I have had recently.

rugbydick

Which Faustino?
    The ‘VII’ is for chugging, ‘V’ is nice enough on with a meal but the ‘I’ is the one to savour.

hora
    Free Member

It was on special at the Co-Op so I assume it was the cleaning fluid version……

MrSmith
    Free Member

La Rioja Alta.
    Marques de murrietta
    Marques de Riscal
    Cune

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Marques de Riscal is my reliable rioja. Majestic stock 2006 but 2005 is better if you can get it. My local winestore claim that Majestic use this as a loss-leader for their Spanish wine as they sell it below his cost frequently!

http://www.majestic.co.uk/find/category-is-Wine/category-is-Spain/product-is-14210

If you want to spend some money they are some really ballsy wines from Priorat, but its 2-3x the price.

At the other end of the spectrum, the Aldi temperanillo is surprisingly quaffable at 1/2 – 1/3 the price!!!

binners

You guys do know that Rioja is a region in spain with very strict rules about how the wine must be kept/aged?

Really? Wow! Every day’s a school day on here, isn’t it?

Are there any other gems of your infinite wisdom you’d like to furnish us with? Careful though. Sometimes it can be misconstrued, and you can easily come across as a pompous, patronising arse!

crispo
    Free Member

+1 for the Muga.

FIL always has some 2007 Reserva Muga about and thats really tastey!

andydicko
    Free Member

Baldysquirt – Member
    Langunilla is very nice as is Campo Viejo

Campo Viejo is a good call!

mogrim

La Rioja Alta.
    Marques de murrietta
    Marques de Riscal
    Cune

It’s Cvne, not Cune.

Edit: googling suggests the company’s CVNE, the brand Cune. So you were right.

I like Coto de Imaz, no idea if you can get it in the UK though. But given the choice I’d usually go with a Ribera del Duero rather than a Rioja.

hora
    Free Member

Theres a nice Spanish Restaurant on Deansgate in Manchester. I think I’ll go there this weekend 🙂

binners

Rafas El Rincon? Good call! Will they let you in in Cowboy Boots?

hora
    Free Member

As long as I don’t say I’m Texan..

donsimon
    Free Member
    rewski
    Free Member

Are there any other gems of your infinite wisdom you’d like to furnish us with?

Did you know that Portsmouth is an island?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

a bit like saying champagne is rubbish

And because you have titted me off, it is Champagne, not champagne as it is a region. Didn’t you know that? Tut.

dashed
    Free Member

Majestic had a good deal on a Muriel Gran Reserva recently – I picked up a bottle of 1985 for about £18 – twas awesome. I think they’ve got similar deals on a 1989 (ish?) at the minute. Usually got to buy 2 bottles as part of min of 6, but if they’ve got a “Spanish” deal on you can mix and match singles within your 6 (so 5 bottles of drain cleaner and a 1985 Gran Reserva ;o)

Muga and Cvne also very reliable but as ever, you get what you pay for!

hora
    Free Member

Muriel’s a good call actually. Even their Sainsburys/Asda cheap tat is good canon fodder.

Clobber
    Free Member

+1 for MrSmith, Marques de Riscal is my favourite.

Head over to Majestic for good Rioja

ElShalimo

a good Rioja is a pleasure to drink, try this for a special occasion

Ribera del Duero is every bit as cheeky as a good Rioja. Try some…. soon before the secret is out.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Had this at a tapas restuarant recently and thought it was good

DrRSwank
    Free Member

+1 for the Marques de Caceres.

The Marques de Caceres white rioja is also excellent.

Campo Viejo is also an honest, and relatively cheap one worth trying.

rugbydick

Oh yeah, forgot about the Campo Viejo.
    They always have cases of it on special offer in the Costco near me.
    There’s an orange labelled version and a yellow label; from memory, the orange label is slightly better but they are both quite quaffable.

donsimon
    Free Member

Antaño is a not too shabby drink for a cheapish price.

hora
    Free Member

Going for a ride later on this afternoon so I may pop into Majestic on the way back off the motorway 8)

MrOvershoot

ElShalimo – Member

a good Rioja is a pleasure to drink, try this for a special occasion

Ribera del Duero is every bit as cheeky as a good Rioja. Try some…. soon before the secret is out.
    Like THIS then

donsimon
    Free Member

I think the nice thing about Ribera del Duero is that most of the producers are quite small, almost one could say nichelike.

SBrock
    Free Member

Marques Del Norte from Asda’s is very good at £4.46

Mackem

Second the Duero recommendation, also try the Somontano ones and Toro ones, excellent wines at better prices.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Langunilla is very nice

£4.99 at morrisons just now

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Rioja- recommend me a decent one’ is closed to new replies.