Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Rigid forks – help needed
  • dicky
    Free Member

I’m building up a commuter bike and I need some 26″ rigid forks. I want to stay away from carbon so I’m looking for cro-mo or alu forks, disk only, and as light as possible.

I had thought of Kona Project 2’s which sound ideal but I can’t find any disc only ones. Help would be appreciated! What alternatives are there?

Dekerf
    Free Member

Salsa do some

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Bontrager do an alloy version of their Switchblade(?) fork.

D0NK

a quick google shows evans and sunset have canti and rim brake version and if you really cant live with brake posts file them off – better to keep them on in case tho.

el_creedo
    Free Member

Orange make a nice rigid chromo fork – disc only.
    http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/components/

kimbers

u mean canti and disc D0NK

i love my p2s

dey r da bomb

MrAgreeable

Even “sus corrected” rigid forks can steepen a bike up pretty drastically. If you want to keep suspension-y geometry have a look at 29er forks, Salsa and Surly are two off the top of my head.

zaskar
    Free Member

Strange, I ordered some Kona P2 forks disc only and had to wait 3 weeks till they shipped some in.

Call your LBS and get them to ring the distrubutor in Bristol for stock.

Also check your forks-my first one came with badly/twisted forged drop outs.

They are skinny and look funny on my commuter with huge ali tubes. Will look nice on a small steel tubed frame.

Also lightly grease your steerer against corrosion.

Even Evans cycles have these forks.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i wouldn’t worry too much about the angles – quicker steering is good in traffic jams anyway!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

29er fork will have the wrong offset so you will end up with far too much trail

NotoriousP.I.D
    Free Member

Wish I’d seen that Orange fork before I ordered the Salsa one. Looks way nicer.

🙁

MrAgreeable

TJ, I would guess that some 29er forks are more corrected for this than others, I’ve been told older ones like Karate Monkeys work OK with a 26″ frame.

one_bad_mofo

Vicious Cycles have a new UK distributor so their steel forks should be easily available. No idea on price but they’ll be spendy.

STATO
    Free Member

If you dont need suspension corrected (395mm a-c) then these are lovely…

dicky
    Free Member

Salsa ones are ordered, thanks for the tip

theflatboy
    Free Member

isn’t that orange one a funny length or something? i was thinking about getting one recently and there was something about it that meant it wouldn’t have worked (or i thought so).

glenp
    Free Member

What’s with the brake mount on the wrong side and sticking out the front?

DoctorRad
    Free Member
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

glenp – Member

What’s with the brake mount on the wrong side and sticking out the front?

Doing that eliminates the “qr / disc / wheel ejection thing” As the braking force pushes the wheel into the dropout rather than pulling it out Existing callipers can still be used

2alexcoo
    Free Member

I have the Orange and the Salsa ones, on different bikes. Can’t go wrong with either IMO, both look better than the newer P2s with that ‘extender’ piece above the crown.

theflatboy – the Orange is 450mm axle to crown so works well on a frame designed for a 100mm sus fork.

druidh
    Free Member

Any particular reason why you’re avoiding carbon btw?

dicky
    Free Member

druidh – Member
    Any particular reason why you’re avoiding carbon btw?

As they are going on a commuter bike that might get bashed about a bit in teh bike shed etc I thought cro-mo forks might be a bit less fragile, that’s the only reason for avoiding carbon really.

druidh
    Free Member

Ah – cool. I’ve been using some Pace carbons on my commuter and they do take the sting out of the potholes etc.

Norton
    Free Member

Tout terrian do a high quality disc only rigid fork for about £100 (see bikefix.co.uk)specifically designed for touring/commuter use

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Rigid forks – help needed’ is closed to new replies.