Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Ridley Scott to direct a new Blade Runner
  • pedalhead
    Free Member

Wow. Blade Runner is one of my all-time favourite films. Not sure what to think about this news, but with Ridley Scott on board I hope it might not be completely rubbish. I wonder if it’ll clear up the ambiguity of the “is Deckard a replicant” question…although, I quite like not being 100% sure!

CountZero

Hmmm, interesting. I knew about Promethius, which, from what I gather is only loosely connected withAlien, going off on a tangent to much bigger themes, apparently to do more with the wrecked starship pilot. I hadn’t heard about Blade Runner, but I would hazard a guess that Scott will again go off in another direction, he famously dislikes returning to older films to do sequels so who knows? Maybe showing what Takships on fire off the shoulder of Orion actually look like. I’m sure it’ll be visually arresting, with the technology available nowadays.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

err…
    pretty much exactly what pedalhead said.
    i’d like to say that i have faith in mister scott, but i’m really not sure about this.

headfirst
    Free Member

Sounds ace!

Will Megan Fox be in it?

Junkyard
    Free Member

After what Lucas did I am excited beyond words for the artistic treat in store.

serious geek point for knowing the line ..you all do dont you 😀

Spin
    Free Member

Takships on fire off the shoulder of Orion actually look like

Attack ships was it not?

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes typo surely
    I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I’ve watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die

pedalhead
    Free Member

poetry 🙂

dogbert
    Free Member

serious geek point for knowing the line ..you all do dont you

Indulge me…….i’ll get my coat

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

As unexcited as one could be.

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

Well, it is 29 years old so due a remake 😉

Kevevs
    Free Member

If only you could see what I’ve seen with your eyes!

Just leave it be! It’s great as it is, don’t go adding a backstory/forward story,all that crap, embellishing the characters etc. It’s a film moment in time for me. It’s not gonna be made any better, as the thing that is good about it is partly to do with the time it was made and the techniques used. It looks brilliant cos of the constrictions and ingenuity. Ridley could make whatever now with CGI etc, he hasn’t made a better film since IMO. I like the fact that it is impenetrable to start off with and some of it you have to make up yourself, and the ambiguity. Why go explaining it with another new bit? leave it alone!

EDIT: on a tangent, there is a bloke comes into our local ASDA the spitting image of Ridley Scott. I keep having to resist the urge to ask him if the lighting is right and does he want more dry ice!

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Junkyard – “and you have burned so very brightly Roy” ??

kimbers

part of the deal with the owners of the rights is taht the film cant be remade or rebooted so it has to be a sequel or a prequel or something else, like prometheu is gonna be?

tbh until ive seen prometheus i will be undecided about this

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Do you think Roy Batty and Emily Batty are related?

CountZero

I was quoting from memory and forgot it was Attack ships rather than Tac ships, which is how small fast interceptors are referred to in something I was reading recently. My memory isn’t as good as Roy Battey’s. Sadly.
    Deadly, go back to your crochet work, we know you couldn’t give a toss about any pop. culture subjects, and have nothing significant to contribute other than sniffy dismissal.

Dibbs
    Free Member

It won’t be worth watching if Sean Young isn’t in it 🙁

LycraLout
    Free Member

My local fishmonger is in the High St, not at the Tannhauser Gate, which might explain why I’ve never seen sea breams glitter at night

samuri
    Free Member

Do you think Roy Batty and Emily Batty are related?

Do you think she might be a basic pleasure model? That would work for me to be honest.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Is a follow up to Bladerunner really necessary? I like the ambiguity as to whether Deckert is a replicant or not. I also like the vision of the future.

What is there to resolve, other than to make more money out of a franchise?

drain

There wasn’t much ambiguity in Philip K Dick’s book as to whether Deckard is a replicant.

Was never a fan of Sean Young, I’m afraid. Classic film though.

Prometheus sounds amazing!

PJM1974
    Free Member

If you thought about it for long enough and watched the director’s cut, it was obvious that Deckert was a replicant. Not quite so with the original version with the pointless voiceover.

Sean Young? Amazingly beautiful and vulnerable as Rachel but apparently she’s a pain in the harris to work with.

DavidB
    Free Member

It’s a test designed to provoke an emotional response

drain

Beautiful – absolutely. Acting? Nah… If you watch her in No Way Out it’s painful…

PJM1974
    Free Member

Agreed – she was dire in No Way Out. Costner wasn’t much better.

colournoise

DavidB – Member
    It’s a test designed to provoke an emotional response

And the desired emotional response is that Deckard IS a replicant?

slainte 😉 rob

higgo
    Free Member

I like the ambiguity as to whether Deckert is a replicant or not.

What ambiguity?

Cougar

See, your answer here in in CZ’s initial follow-up.

Scott isn’t big on revisiting IP. He was doing an Alien prequel for about 20 minutes, then went “made you look!” and announced it was something else entirely.

I’d bet this is the same. To me, the big news here is “RS doing more sci-fi” – a *quel to Bladerunner is both unlikely and undesireable, but a Ridley spin-off in the same world? Sign me up.

My local fishmonger is in the High St, not at the Tannhauser Gate, which might explain why I’ve never seen sea breams glitter at night

Proper gave me the giggles, that did.

Pigface
    Free Member

I really like the voice over on the first version, went to see it with an ex without it and she didnt have a clue what was going on.

The first version is quite ambiguous about Deckard being a replicant, the newer versions witht the Unicorn dream make it pretty obvious what Deckard is.

Junkyard is he saying well that’s a little out of my jurisdiction

geetee1972
    Free Member

He say you braid runner!

Of course if it was a sequel he could set it 30 years in the future and wouldnt even have to worry about Harrison Ford’s make up. 😀

hora
    Free Member

I don’t want to watch the new version. Nothing can compare or better Blade Runner.

Just look at the **** with Star Wars.

jedi

bladerunner is my fave all time film 🙂

hora
    Free Member

I’m amazed that you don’t even consider ‘age’ with Blade Runner. Funny how alot of the film that followed in the 80’s decade just look so dated compared. Does anyone else know Roy’s last words by memory ..along with the pauses, pronunciation of ‘moments’ and the slight grimace?

Gawd I’m a geek.

jedi

of course.
    i actually prefer the narrated version of the film

it’s too bad she won’t live, but then again who does

xherbivorex
    Free Member

my first proper band was called Skinjob…

ski
    Free Member

1freezingpenguin – Member

Well, it is 29 years old so due a remake

That makes me feel very old 😉

yoda
    Free Member

We did Bladerunner for A level media studies as our text.
    How lucky were we! analised it (!)pulled it to pieces and put it back together again. It has to have the voice over! sets all the tone,

“They don’t advertise for killers in the newspaper. That was my profession. Ex-cop. Ex-blade runner. Ex-killer”

Right from the outset everything is past, “EX”, there is no future, the clue is there right from the outset.

bigjim

Well it doesn’t say he is remaking blade runner anywhere but in the title, so hopefully it’ll be a seperate prequel or sequel story. It can’t be anything but the phantom menace is to star wars though. There was a very good making of documentary on the BBC recently, worth seeing if you haven’t.

Junkyard
    Free Member

sorry i did not answer the first person got it
    indulge me – hence the reason I picked it

uponthedowns
    Free Member

“These are my friends… I made them”

Marvellous!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Ridley Scott to direct a new Blade Runner’ is closed to new replies.