Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Riding with a Cracked/Broken Rib
  • Flash
    Free Member

I damaged myself a few weeks ago but not riding my bike is getting a little frustrating.

If I ride my bike, obviosly without trying too hard will I prevent the rib from healing properly?

Thanks

sugdenr
    Free Member

Depends. It is usually actually the cartilege that connect the rib that has cracked and is mostly not really that serious, just painful. I hate it because I always seem to dameage them again and again. the lower it is the easier it breaks again and hurts more.

I broke a high up one when I hit a tree before xmas and havent stopped riding, esp. as it keeps going again when playing with my kids!

Its only pain after all.

antigee

road yes, mtb no in my painful experience

biggest issue seems to be picking up chest infection because you don’t clear lungs as much

16stonepig
    Free Member

As long as you can ride without laughing.

oldgit
    Free Member

Or falling off.

honourablegeorge

I had that recently – rested up for a fortnight, started to feel ok, then picked up one of the kids, and it went completely again, was right back to square one, if not worse. It’s worth resting up until it’s fully right.

Garry_Lager

If the pain is OK then ride away – just don’t fall off onto it again as you’ll soil yourself with the pain.

I did mine just after Christmas on a tree root shredding a monstrous move at Cannock. First week was miserable with the pain, seriously thought I’d hurt my liver as it was just on the lower right rib. Clearing up well though and I’ve been out a few times since. Once the exercise adrenaline starts I’ve not noticed it. Unless it’s really fked (like rib bone is actually broke) I’d be happy doing some careful cycling on it.

honourablegeorge

I’m told that an actual broken rib (bone) is pretty obvious – you won’t really be able to breathe normally.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Riding with a Cracked/Broken Rib’ is closed to new replies.