Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Riding with a cold
  • spock
    Free Member

Woke up this morning feeling very rough, big head cold etc. Had it a day or two now. Should i still go riding tonight? it’s not a massive ride, around 2 hours, i feel a bit better now and reckon i’d be fine but im still blowing my nose regurarly if that gives you any idea .
    What do you think?

neninja
    Free Member

I personally always give it at least week after I’ve had a cold before trying to do much. If I don’t it always seems to make me run down or flare up my asthma.

hora
    Free Member

Listen to your body.

You wouldn’t strain your car if something mechanical needed attention.

Esme
    Free Member

Yes and no . . .

Yes, if could be a gentle bimble just enjoying the fresh air

No, if it’s a macho ride with your mates. Better to just join them in the pub afterwards

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cars indeed behave in similar ways to human bodies 🙄

Perceived wisdom is that a cold above the neck only is OK to ride with.

I get hest infections though and prefer to recover properly, not keen on PVFS. I do find I need a wee ride to blast the end of the cold out.

spock
    Free Member

I dont feel physically tired because of it. Just head coldy if that makes any sense, i dont think its a full blown bed ridden cold. I have no aches or pains in my body.

Should i go and just take it easy?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I find riding when I have a cold clears my sinuses 🙂 Much better than being cooped up indoors with all that dust!

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I’ll be out with a cold too Spock, so me and thee can just bimble along at the back. 🙂

I’ve got some lemsip for this afternoon… Really don’t want to prolong this and ruin the Lakes trip this weekend.

Onion butties in the pub should clear us up! 😉

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

As said above…cold above the neck…ride but not ‘training ride’ style so no hard efforts. If it’s a cold below the neck then don’t even think about it. Kettle on, duvet round you, retire to sofa and let your body sort itself out.

Then take it easy on your return to training…PVF is a real pain to get rid of if you get it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

A “cold” is always above the neck FFS. Anything below the neck is secondary infection.

hard exercise with a cold is linked ( rarely) with sudden death. Gentle exercise can help clear airways.

You choice but IMO it must be very gentle exercise

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Shit! We’re all gonna die??? 🙄

yossarian
    Free Member

I usually keep going and look on it as resistance training

I love that feeling when the cold is on its way out and you realise that you can honk up the hill that you’ve been bimbling up for the past couple of weeks.

I hear what people are saying about allowing your body to repair itself etc, I’m just not convinced that pushing through is all that bad for you.

Just kicked off a cold thats been around for a fortnight and feel bloody fantastic – I’m sure I rode some of it off as well.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Hmm last time i went out riding when i felt i had a cold brewing made it turn into something really horrible, MAN FLU!
    Seriously though, it was a cold autumn night ride and it gave me a horribble sore throat.
    So either miss out on the ride, or dress warmly and keep your neck covered up!

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

M T F U.

gordimhor

what tj said

foxyrider
    Free Member

I rode on Sunday with a stinking cold in the Newnham 60 – after vomiting at the end of the First Lap I gave up – Its not worth it !!

rOcKeTdOg

HAd a cold since Saturday, rode last night, riding tonight, riding in Scotland Friday, cold or not

nickc

Colds come and go in about 8 days. just let it run it’s course. a week off the bike isn’t the end of the world

rOcKeTdOg

if you feel ok, ride, you’ll know if it’s not right

spock
    Free Member

went out for 15 minutes on the road bike, actually feel fine when im riding, worse when im sat down doing nothing

Zoolander
    Free Member

A cold hit me thurs last week. Went out and did 40 miles on Saturday and was so far off the pace it was unreal, after the first hour I had no energy or strength at all. It’s the first time ever that I’ve really not enjoyed riding and woke up with the start of a chest infection on Sunday – just to really top it of.
    Really wish I didn’t bother.

Xylene
    Free Member

colds = tinker time

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

tbh ive ridden with a cold loads of times and it actully just clears my nose out and helps lol

bigbob38
    Free Member

Ride gently – take a hip flask full of fine scotch or brandy (for medicinal purposes of cause :lol:)

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Riding with a cold’ is closed to new replies.