Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Riding the WHW………in a day.
  • lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Idon’t want to start a debate on ‘there’s better riding in Scotland’ ‘why’ & ‘pointless’ etc.

But has anyone ridden the WHW in one day? How tough was it? How did you prepare for it? Up or down?

cynic-al
    Free Member

mcmoonter did it back in the day, not sure what prep they did, I believe it was a long day though!

I’ve done it in 2.

13thfloormonk

Definitely worth searching the forum for this one, its been discussed a few times.

I tried (and failed) managing to get to Kingshouse in 12 hours having started at 5am in Milngavie. In my defence, the weather had been rotten most of the way, but I bailed mostly out of mince-ness, the rain coming over the top of the Devil’s Staircase was mostly horizontal…

Dmoffit on here has done it, as did some guy from Mull (north to south, but still a silly fast time like 11 hours or something) and of course Rob Lee managed Milngavie to Ft Bill and back to Kinlochleven in one sitting.

I’d only consider going south to north, seems more traditional, but probably the harder direction (saving the big hills for miles 80-95..)

And if you skip the nasty bits on Loch Lomondside it doesn’t count! 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    shaggy

I rode it unsupported in just over 14 hours this summer, as part of an attempt at the double. I think people are overly negative about it. North to south, its a nice journey from Glasgow to ‘the wilderness’. The navigation is dead easy and in good weather i would imagine a lot of it is fast going. More about my ride
    here

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

i was thinking of a mid-summers ride on the longest day. I don’t know if its a brain fart at this point or something I want to set a target and train for.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

I think people are overly negative about it

Agreed. Good write up shaggy.

lovewookie

Hit and miss, some get it good, some, like my mate, get it bad.

Two attempts, first failed due to really bad weather past Kings House, second due to an off taco-ing his front wheel at about the same location.

north of Inversnaid is apparently shitty.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I think they are overly positive. I have ridden and walked a few stretches of it and have absolutely no desire to ride the whole thing – let alone in a day – when there is so much better riding out there.

I really find it inexplicable that anyone would

marty
    Free Member

north of Inversnaid is apparently shitty.
    aye, north of Inversnaid to Beinglas camp site is pretty awful. 2.5 to 3 hours of on/off/push/carry with a couple of clambers up/down ladders. if you know the crappy bits coming it wouldn’t be that bad, would be a pretty grotty surprise.

Got to do that bit though, who wants to have done Bits of The West Highland Way in a Day? 😉

marty
    Free Member

I find it inexplicable that you’ve not bothered to read the OP…

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Mate and I rode from Balmaha to Fort William in under 24 hours a good few years back, though this did include a stop in Glencoe for food and a snooze.

Total riding time was 11 1/2 hours, but obviously we missed out the Milngavie-Balmaha section and also took the ferry from Inversnaid to Inveruglas to miss out the shitty bit.

Not a very pure attempt, but lots of good riding. I must do it properly some day…

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

lobby_dosser – Member
    Idon’t want to start a debate on ‘there’s better riding in Scotland’ ‘why’ & ‘pointless’ etc.

old faithfuls 😀

TandemJeremy – Member

I think they are overly positive. I have ridden and walked a few stretches of it and have absolutely no desire to ride the whole thing – let alone in a day – when there is so much better riding out there.

bigyinn
    Free Member

A very good old friend (pistola on here) has done it with a couple of others from the GMBC.
    Early start (DAWN) midsummer with a good days forecast and a bit of luck are your best bets.
    I’d love to do it in a day, just because. No reason other than the same reason people do the SDW in a day, because its there.
    TJ trying to be funny??

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Go for it George, will you be buying a new XC bike for it?

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Hi Stuart, Long time no see. no Xc bike for me. I think i’ll try it on the nomad ,)

Are you a racing whippet this year?

DickBarton

I’ve considered it and then considered do there and back in a weekend…which for some twisted reason is more appealing to me (no idea why as I appear to be coming to the realisation that I’ve got some sort of illness that will take a wee while to sort (not life-threatening just take time to fix) – I reckon once I get that kicked, I’m going to do some training then just do it – there and back over a weekend…it won’t be easy but it’ll be something to talk to real boring folk about in years to come…

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

G, i’m still a lazy git! Fancy a beer this week?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

TJ trying to be funny??

No – just being a bit hard of thinking. Sorry

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Thursday or Friday night?

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

No – just being a bit hard of thinking. Sorry

No worries tj

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Riding the WHW………in a day.’ is closed to new replies.