Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • riding on arran.
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

it aint that big , there for a couple days end o month – anything not to miss on mtb

flyingfox
    Free Member

I’m no expert but I really enjoyed Glen Rosa and the lower slopes of Goat Fell.

chris23
    Free Member

Google Arran MTB club, on there is routes on the Island. The routes from Brodick to Lamlash are well worth doing.
    We stayed at the north of the Island at Lochranza at the youth hostal. The Laggan route from there is sooo good. The hostal is a great base to go biking from, bike friendly, and cheap.
    Was there for a week of biking about 2 weeks ago and had a fantastic time.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

might be worth asking richard McD, Terry – think he’s done a fair bit on there.

trail_rat
    Free Member

will do tom

dont think ill need that much tbh – it seems one of the couples may be on a tandem MTB – although if i find out where the missus has booked to stay i may get out for some early morning or late night rides:D

snowslave

Glen Rosa is stunningly beautiful and no navigation challenges. Nice for a few hours, but getting my bike through a dear gate or two was a challenge. I actually had to drop it over a deer fence into some heather at one point. I’d recommend popping in to the Arran Adventure Club, think it’s the same as the MTB club mentioned above actually – they had shed loads of local routes on pre-printed maps and were really helpful. Just tell them what type of ride you want and for how long and they’l probably sort you out. Well they did us! And a great ride it was too.

balfa
    Free Member

I’ve ridden just about everything there is to ride on Arran.

Best stuff is;
    The routes around Brodick/Lamlash
    Ride/Hikeabike up to the shoulder on Goat Fell and back down again.
    Laggan route
    Coire an lochan is a nice push up blast down too but not very long.

Probably best to avoid the Clauchan route as it is normally a bit of a bog at the best of times and they’ve been felling and making a mess of the track.

Glen Rosa is an ok out and back with a few little technical challanges but its nothing to shout about IMO.

If you run out of stuff on the island, you can also get the ferry over to Kintyre with the bike for the day and make a couple of reasonable routes using the kintyre way.

allyharp

The best section of trail I’ve come across is some nice clifftop singletrack following round the coast from here in the direction of Lamlash
    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=205095&Y=633795&A=Y&Z=120

We got there by going through the woodland trails marked as Clauchland hills and they were enough fun for us to go back and to it in reverse later.

I’ve also cycled a fair bit of the Arran Bike Club black route, and I was rather unimpressed. One big long slog up through some woodland fireroad for not much singletrack reward stands out; but perhaps I just missed all the best bits?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Probably best to avoid the Clauchan route as it is normally a bit of a bog at the best of times and they’ve been felling and making a mess of the track.

I was over a month ago, and the Clauchlands path is riding really well. It’d take ages to try and type all the rides I know Terry, best bet is to email Gerard Tattersfield, the ABC secretary, he’s a top bloke. You should get his email address on the ABC site.

Greg.

balfa
    Free Member

I was over a month ago, and the Clauchlands path is riding really well. It’d take ages to try and type all the rides I know Terry, best bet is to email Gerard Tattersfield, the ABC secretary, he’s a top bloke. You should get his email address on the ABC site.

The Clauchan route is over by shiskine. Your refering to the clauchland hills. Completely different places.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Oops,my mistake! 😳

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘riding on arran.’ is closed to new replies.