• This topic has 13 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by jad.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Riding near Paisley
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

Just wondering what kind of riding is within easy reach of Paisley?

There’s a possible job on offer up there and it’s one of my considerations.

Cheers

richmtb

Glennifer Braes has some trails, also riding fairly nearby at Clydemuir Park and the Fairlie Moors

GW
    Free Member

Muirsheil Country Park and surrounding hills (Nr Lochwinnoch) too.

iainc

GMBC (Glasgow Mountain Bike Club) ride from Milngavie which is a 20 min drive. tue and Wed evenings, Sun morning.

miles and miles of everything from easy fireroad to the teckiest singletrack

cheers

OmarLittle
    Free Member

there is the glennifer braes which is just on the edge of the town and a bit further afield (down the sustrans route so probably about 40 minutes cycle away) then there is clyde muirsheil park and the greenock cut. If you have a car then there will be lots of good stuff within an hours drive away and lots of great stuff within a couple of hours.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Gleniffer braes at top end of Paisley so would be within riding distance, lots of riding there. Not worth moving there for though. Depends what sort of riding you do i suppose but it’s all xc type stuff.

steve_b77
    Free Member

It’s not a move of choice, more a case if getting out of London if I’m honest.

What’s the cost of living like up there, especially rented properties?

a11y

The Old Kilpatrick hills are just the other side of the Erskine Bridge and have some great riding. Around 8 miles on the road from Paisley around the edge of the airport.

Glennifer Braes is good for evening rides but not really much more than 2-3hrs worth of riding there IMO. Still good for local riding though.

For reference, Paisley’s about 1.5hrs from Glentress/Innerleithen.

ratherbeintobago

It’s not a move of choice, more a case if getting out of London if I’m honest.

I’d expect very few people move to Paisley out of choice. Bear in mind you don’t have to live there just because you’re working there. Fast train from Bishopton.

Andy

DOI: from Greenock.

Sanny
    Free Member

There’s loads of riding to be done within easy reach. The Braes have a lot to offer while there is also the Kilpatrick Hills, The Campsies, Loch Lomond, Mugdock Country Park (20 min drive from Paisley) and more close by. There’s lots of nice backroad riding to be had as well.

House prices are very reasonable – don’t be expecting London prices. If you want a nice area to live in the Glasgow / Paisley area, you’ll be hard pushed to beat the West End of Glasgow. It’s a short commute to Paisley on the bike but with much more in the way of amenities.

Have a look at the likes of Slater Hogg or Clyde Property for house prices.

For info, Pitlochry is only an hour and a half away, Aviemore two and a half hours while you can get to the northern Lakes in 2 hours if like me you drive like Miss Daisy! The Clyde Valley is a great place to live as a mountain biker as there is great riding on the doorstep and easy access to big mountain riding in all directions.

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Sanny

steve_b77
    Free Member

Cheers for all the input guys.

I won’t be moving up there permanently, just Monday to Friday with the occasional weekend thrown in.

Some major rail project or summit in the area

fisha
    Free Member

I’d expect very few people move to Paisley out of choice.

DOI: from Greenock.

+1.

Yeah there is plenty of stuff around about … Here is one from Clyde Muirsheil Park on Christmas Eve ’09..

Brrrr….

and here is another during the summer…

Shaky …

mrmojo
    Free Member

The Greenock Cut has alot of tarmac now. Plenty of good riding up Loch Thom.

jad
    Free Member

I’m from Paisley although planning on getting out! As mentioned there are lots of nice places close by.

Feel free to give me a shout and I can show you around.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Riding near Paisley’ is closed to new replies.