Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Riding in snow – worth it?
  • singletracksurfer

choice of a solo snow ride (up to 12" deep) or turbo trainer, rowing machine etc in the garage! hmmm

Can see it'll be much fun riding to be honest (no singletrack, slippery, cold, slow and hard work) – am I wrong?

Dylan08
    Free Member

its the road salt you need to worry about!!!

jedi

Riding in the snow is fun!

duntmatter
    Free Member

Riding over fresh snow is good fun. Just like walking over it is. Crunchy snow sounds are nicely amplified by hollow tyres. Give it a go if you want to know.

5thElefant
    Free Member

It's fun and a quite unbelievable workout. Just pick a trivial downhill with a road to get you back up the top and do circuits until you turn into a sweaty mess.

singletracksurfer

whoops. meant to say can't (not can).

you aren't helping. I couldn't be arsed really, looks like i should get myself out.

keyses2

Uphills a slog, but the downhills are worth it 🙂

Saccades
    Free Member

Don't pick the technical stuff, I've been using gamekeepers trails (mainly double track from them little bike 4×4 things, savage ruts either side) – amazing how much harder they are when you can't judge the surface properly and know that if you slip to the side that you are going to break the ice and be in 4" of water and another 6" of mud.

breaking over snow that no one has gone near except deer/rabbits/foxes is marvellous!

kennyp
    Free Member

Depends where you ride. It's a chance to do different stuff. I've been riding down some steepish grassy slopes in the Pentlands. Normally they'd be too short, dull and off the tracks. However in thick snow they are hilarious, even if I do fall off every few yards.

Also, take a camera. Even a dull ride might present great photo opportunities on a cold day with a blue sky.

singletracksurfer

normally singletrack.

is taking the cx bike a daft idea – should I stick with fat mtb tyres?

higthepig
    Free Member

Try the snow, freezing limbs and a dirty bike afterwards but well worth it, especially if you get home after staying upright for the whole ride.

sofatester
    Free Member

Riding in the snow is fun!

Is that why you where riding down the A119 today then Jedi? That salt won’t do all those pivots any good.

I think you set the world record for being the most over biked for the terrain though! 😉

owenfackrell
    Free Member

I went for a ride in 12 inch+ deep snow today and you go very slow. In fact after taking half an hour to go less than A mile I gave up went back to where my car was and phused my bike to the top of butser hill and then rode back down. Now that was fun dodging the toboganists.

Lest
    Free Member

Wow, fair play Owen!
    I hiked from the QE Centre, up and over to the back valley for some powder turns on the Board and it killed just getting there!!!!

It is goolie deep up the top in places!!

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Glad I am not the only one falling off every couple of metres. Well fun! But your legs will feel it tomorrow.

coastkid
    Free Member

give it a go its great fun,we may not get weather like this for another 30 years!
    ..if your unsure try riding a snowpacked ungritted road or forestry road…its great fun…

jedi

sofatester, a119?

i was riding to here

gee
    Free Member

2 1/2 hrs to do 12 miles round Porridge Pot and DERA.

sofatester
    Free Member

I thought as much Jedi, looks great fun!

The A119 is the road from Watton to Hertford 😉

What tyres for snowy Hertshore? 😆

lowey

Snow riding provides memories that you will take to the grave!

Click to make bigger.

I would break out the sack cloth and ashe's if I had spent last night on a turbo trainer.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

riding in the snow, is fun, even if you have to push for miles – I can remember how overexcited I got when finally I could ride it Dec '08:

turbotraining would be such a wasted opportunity 🙁

Wednesday evening:

miketually
    Free Member

My rides to work in the snow this week have been great. Going to try to sneak out in the fresh fall we got last night – another couple of inches on top of the stuff that we've had for the last 22 days!

deadkenny
    Free Member

"freezing limbs and a dirty bike afterwards"
    I found the snow results in quite a clean bike. My tyres look like new after my last trip in the snow! 😀

DaveF2
    Free Member

I love riding in the snow, although the novelty is beginning to wear off slightly now.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Riding in snow – worth it?’ is closed to new replies.