Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Riding in Devon
  • walla24
    Free Member

Where is good to ride?
    Been at uni in wales surrounded by amazing trails now home in chudleigh, haldon is still being rebuilt and abbeyford woods is all derilict too.
    Can someone suggest good trails please!?

Del

there’s lots of riding on haldon but you need to explore or be shown it really. up there this afternoon if you’re about.
    there’s a wednesday night ride leaves the ley arms at kenn @6.30, or meet at the top of the cycle path/a38 flyover ( near the racecourse ) @ 7.
    otherwise lots of riding on the moor.

qwerty
    Free Member

Dartmoor is pretty good, i’ve hooked up with some locals when visiting and its fab if you know where to go 😀

walla24
    Free Member

del thanks but i have to work 🙁
    qwerty- been walking on dartmoor a lot, where roughly is good to bike?
    cheers

jam-bo

Gawton…

julianwilson
    Free Member

ask trailmonkey when he is next doing a ride. He *may* have had something to do with the trail guide in last month’s singletrack mag. In fact, the routes in there would be a good place to start. Not too far from chudleigh neither..

Do you downhill? Gawton (near Tavistock) really is bonkers. Similar random woodsy singletrack in Cann Wood near Plymouth but having ridden at Haldon this morning I wouldn’t bother coming here just for that as the trail pixies at Haldon seem rather more organised than ours here. Loooooaaaaaddddds of fun stuff round Haldon if you look around a bit…

You really have to ride round Lustleigh though. Wait till its been warm and dry for a couple of weeks as it takes ages to dry and is just lovely when it is.

jam-bo

Once you get your head around the steepness then gawton is great fun.

Tavi woodlands is good fun too.

walla24
    Free Member

Gawton looks sweet 😛 love DH but really need to build up a ful sus, my poor hardtail is getting abused!

Cheers for the suggestions will be going to them all, and picking up a copy of ST!

Will be searching for more trails up haldon too then, dont suppose there’s a map of them anywhere? Rude not to really as its so close to my house.

Thanks!

MrAgreeable

The uplift at Gawton is even scarier than the trails. 😉

walla24
    Free Member

ooo never been on an uplift…its just a dude with a truck yeah?

On that note its time to pick a full sus 8)
    At the minute i ride a bit of a messed up norco bigfoot 05 running a pike 454 and a pants chainguide (Blackspire IST-1), fireeye rim up front, stock alex rim on back with nokian rubbers.
    I love my bike….but its heavy and its not a full suss.

I ride everything apart from XC really, think of trails like Climachx, Brechfa etc and a love a bit of proper DH too.

I want something that is not comparatively heavy but pretty darn unbreakable, im 6″6 so a large i expect yet chuckable.

Any suggestions please!?

trailmonkey

Haldon is great and is right on your doorstep. Personally prefer Dartmoor, especially when the trails are so dry. Get the latest edition of the mag. The cream of the legal Dartmoor stuff is in there. If you wait for us to get back from the alps in a couple of weeks, then join us on one of our regular weekend bimbles, be it Haldon or Dartmoor.

tim41
    Free Member

The only map you’ll find of the haldon trails will the official FC routes, and they’re being redone at the moment so not much use.

I think we’d all agree that the delicate work of the trail pixies should remain unrecorded, lest the nasty keepers of the forest get too interested. The knowledge must be passed on only by magic, word of mouth, or following the knobbly tyre tracks! 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Riding in Devon’ is closed to new replies.