Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Riding in Canada
  • aleigh
    Free Member

I am in Canada right now and was due to ride off road in Banff but talked myself out of it after speaking to an expert in the information centre!

I figured that my brother (the now local) who apart from the fact isn’t experienced off road, well……he’s no bear expert either and I didn’t fancy dying! Those of you that know me know I shriek a fair bit and would assume that my noise would scare the bear off…..that might be so but I sure as hell wasn’t going to take that risk, especially after reading that they can run as fast as a race horse both up and down hill 😯

So instead I am hitting a DH trail tomorrow as it’s the safer option, or is it?!! 😆

deserter
    Free Member

I recently moved to Calgary and have only just started to venture into bear country,its a bit weird having to make noise to let the bears know your coming,anywhere busy is pretty good as they don’t like us at the end of the day,I was told by one guy that they don’t know the noise of bear bells yet so have been known to investigate what the noise is,so I don’t use one of them

aleigh
    Free Member

I’ve heard about bear bells but the bloke said about spray, can’t say I’d feel very confident about using that seeing as you’d have to get close to their eyes!

You’re very brave 😀

Trimix
    Free Member

Stop worring. As long as you make a noise the Bears will avoid you. If you dont make a noise you may come round a corner and scare one, but its not that likey, possible, but not an everyday thing. So shout out for blind corners – you will be fine.

uplink
    Free Member

Don’t worry aleigh

You only have to be able to ride faster than one other person in your group 😉

juan
    Free Member

well iirc you use to scream a lot…

While riding 😉
    Xx

Garry_Lager

Know what you mean – I’ve been hiking around Banff and wasn’t entirely comfortable with the bear thing. That being said, you’re probably looking at God’s own trails up there – they simply must be ridden. Guess you need to hook up with a few locals who can fill you in on the trails and give real advice on bears and whether they’re worth worrying about.

scruff
    Free Member

We took a taxi driven by a local rider, proper bears sniff pepper spray for fun, and will sleep on your tent as its comfy (with you in it). You have to make noise and never ever go near them if you see cubs. And they can climb trees.

Coach driver up to Lake Louise told us of his mate who has some bear researcher, tranquilized one but didnt use enough, it woke up and took his mates head off with one swipe of its paw.

Although i think more people get headbutted by grazing elk than attacked
    by bears.

wl
    Free Member

Agree with Trimix. I’ve mates in BC who ride all the time, including in grizzly backcountry, and basically they ignore the bear thing. Yes, they see bears from time to time, but unless you make one of the usual stupid mistakes, you’re extremely unlikely to come to any harm. As a tourist it’s difficult to get your head round (I know it bothered me a bit on two trips), but the locals I know just get on and ride where they like, in groups or alone. None of them bother with bells or spray – better relying on good sense and not panicking. Cougars, now that’s a different story……(only messing).

aleigh
    Free Member

You remember well Juan 😉

I think when I come out here again I will get a local with bear experience to come with me…..this time I wasn’t prepared!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Riding in Canada’ is closed to new replies.