Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Riding in Ardgour – advice please
  • Kendal
    Free Member

Going to be in Strontian for a week with the family next week, is there any good riding to be had in the area? I'd spotted a track on the map from Polloch to Glenfinnan along Loch Shiel, does anybody know if this is ridable?

Thanks for your help.

Kunstler

I rode around Ardgour with Mrs K last september. Went from Corran, camped at Glenfinnan and roe down Loch Shiel.

Yes, that track is ridable. It's a wide and undulating forestry road that in part is used by FC heavy vehicles for forest harvesting and gets a bit churned up but only in a small part of it. There are great views of Loch Shiel and surrounding mountains – mostly towards the Glenfinnan end but there isn't any technically challenging riding, unless…

There is an old coffin road that goes from Strontian to Polloch (the road climb it's an alternative to is pretty stonking). It is one of those 'curious, dotted line on map, maybe' potential routes. Geograph and google rendered very little information so I concluded that it's probably little used. Might be worth inspecting in dry conditions though. If you have a look at it then post back and let us know what it's like.

Kendal
    Free Member

Thanks Kunstler. I'd spotted that on the map. Thought I may have a run over it one evening to check it out before trying to ride it, I'll let you know. Thanks for info on Loch Shiel.

Waderider
    Free Member

Just off the top of head, from Strontian you can make up a loop where the off road section is from Kentra Bay to Branault. Singing Sands is worth a visit on a sunny day. The track isn't always top notch especially when the vegetation is up, the bracken can be ferocious. The views and country is great though. You can continue on round the north edge of Ardnamurchan to Sanna, home by the singletrack road. Eilean Garbh birdhide is worth a visit if you like that sort of thing.

I've never been up the tracks to the mines behind Strontian.

In short though, after the Loch Shiel landrover track and the overgrown tracks on the north of Ardnamurchan it's more walking country.

Waderider
    Free Member

Just realised I have photos:

After Singing Sands, heading West.

Approaching Ockle

Another trip, another day – view from Glendrian Bay

Kendal
    Free Member

Waderider. That's what I thought. We're taking all the toys, (bikes, climbing kit, canoe,) but Mrs. Kendal was after a good ride if there was one, looks like Loch Shiel may be it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Riding in Ardgour – advice please’ is closed to new replies.