Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Riding after a few beers?
  • I’ve noticed it a few times but due to the extraordinarily beautiful weather I felt it more today than ever before

After a few pints I’m a better cyclist! There, said it…… 😯

Safer – I would guess not
    Misplaced confidence – 100%
    Not overly thinking about little tricks (wallriding, bunnyhopping & manuals) – yup
    Losing that natural tease feeling i have when cycling that i don’t even realise till i’m more relaxed – that be me

So does a few pints help lube you’re chain? I know i should take up yoga instead but the question still poses, do you cycle better after a beer or two?

thejesmonddingo

Completely the opposite,knackers my stamina and skills in about equal amounts.Post-ride beer? Bring it on.
    Ian

khani
    Free Member

Try it in your car, you’ll go like Senna!! 😀

lmao

Edric64
    Free Member

It`s so hard to cycle or walk when pissed ,driving is much easier

taxi25
    Free Member

Used to hear this from drink drivers once upon a time. Your riding might be ok but not better across a range of situations. Me, I hate riding after a beer ! Usually I’m barely incontrol sober:

neilc1881
    Free Member

Well, after riding back from the rugby yesterday after a gallon I have to say that how I managed to stay dry is a miracle. 5 miles of narrow canal tow-path from Llangynidr home without lights was something else. A mate was not quite as lucky. I think he has just about dried out. I think he’ll back me up when I say that no alcohol does not help.

naffrider
    Free Member

Remember riding to a house party and telling myself because of that I wasn’t aloud to get drunk.

I didn’t take any notice of that common sense.

Ride home was interesting. Like a drunken walk, but on a bike. Didn’t come off till I was practically home. Someone had moved a lamppost you see…

I also remember building a wheel when I was drunk, wasn’t at the start but by the time I was finished I was half a bottle of whiskey down and I couldn’t give a toss. Had to redo it the following day amazingly.

chojin
    Free Member

I’m 200% better at Pool and Bowling after 2 pints. That’s the sweet spot though, after any more I’m rubbish

robsoctane
    Free Member

After a few pints I’m a better cyclist!

I haven’t done this recently BUT I agree. If it’s enough to get you just a little tipsy then I think that it boosts confidence and helps you relax.

I know that reaction time will be down
    but I think that just maybe it’s levelled out by the care not attitude it gives you/me…

Beer and bikes – nothing but lasses is better 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have, on occasions, doddered along the few hundred yards from my rather marvellous local after a few too many.

Not a clever thing to do. I should walk it, really.

makkag
    Free Member

drunk and a few drinks is very different .. i had about 5 pints whilst out solo today stopping at pubs on my point and ride route and , with headphones on doing last 10 k back home down the canal towpath i was a riding god.. so much so some guy was taking photo’s near a lock that has a concrete lip thats basicaly a small tabletop hence manual to jump to very very small tail whip and me giggling .. not big and not clever i know but tres fun !

sparkyrhino

Riding after a good brew of magic mushrooms thats an experiance(many years ago in my youth)

widge34
    Free Member

I have found that after two or three pints I have less fear and I let the bike flow faster.

Squidlord
    Free Member

I’m 200% better at Pool and Bowling after 2 pints. That’s the sweet spot though, after any more I’m rubbish

+200

I do enjoy a sneaky mid-ride pint. The 2nd half of the ride goes better once I’ve taken on some fluid, carbs and mild analgesic. More than one and it all goes a bit pear-shaped, however.

antigee

there is a sad memorial to a cyclist who failed to negotiate a bend on the mayfield valley road coming back into sheffield from ringinglow – i believe after a short social – it’s a sobering sight

not that i won’t stop for a beer, but it reminds that just the one is enough

rOcKeTdOg

from today, lovely sunny ride with mid point pint, only one mind

365/70 11/3/12 mid ride Beer appreciation by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg, needs more flat cap and doppelgänger.

julianwilson
    Free Member

carlphillips of this parish won the night race at the Big Bike Bash one year on four or five pints and a singlespeed, naturellement.

I on the other hand lose what little skillz I have after just one pint: ok just trundling back down the railway path, but I’ve had some right wobbles as soon at i try and turn on the misguided skillz. If you don’t own one already, I can also say that the Exeter ship canal path home from the pub is also not the place to try out a road bike. 😳

I did come fifth in the ‘pint to pint’ race (also at BBB last year and although not quite my highest placing in a race, definitely the one I am most proud of!) but it hadn’t the time to get to my head before the end of it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

For me its one of the joys of cycling – being able to have a couple of pints with my lunch.

I have no issues with drinking and riding at all so long as you can actually stay on the bike

oldgit
    Free Member

I’m dizzgusted 😡

bellys
    Free Member

Last summer I had 2 pints of cider on a ride we only had a 20min blast back to the start point. the decent iv don’t it loads of time night and day and never had any probs this day was to be my undoing stacked it big time on a bend back wheel slipped before I could do any thing I’m out cold for aprox 5mins my mates were crying with laughter when I come round 1st thing I said was f@ucking cider should never drink that shit.

makkag
    Free Member

how posh are you , your hospital does not eve have plastic seats !

Wooden !!! WOODEN !

boltonjon

sparkyrhino – Member
    Riding after a good brew of magic mushrooms thats an experiance(many years ago in my youth)

Bloody good fun isn’t it!!!

_tom_
    Free Member

Riding home from house parties is fun. I always tend to loop out on manuals though.

bellys
    Free Member

makkag

that’s James may sat behind me in stepping hill hospital Stockport.

tazzymtb

Beer is the sports drink of singlespeed champions, without it no Uk, European or World champs would be complete. 😀

Houns

I had a mid ride 4 pints yesterday

makkag
    Free Member

very good !

Eyepic
    Free Member

Once rode home cross-country after a few pints… missed a footbridge ended up in a ditch full of nettles…. best bit nettles didn’t hurt so much… Mates pissed themselves.

sparkyrhino

Boltonjon
    The ultimate night vision …….. 😯

Jamie
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg, needs more flat cap and doppelgänger.

boltonjon

I got chased by a Polar Bear and seen a seal in the river. That was one difficult ride!!!

Shrooms are great!!!

Neil-F
    Free Member

I had a couple of pints of Guinness in the boozer in Kinlochleven just before doing the Devil’s staircase climb(We went north to south) on the WHW last May. I can’t help but feel it was detrimental to my enjoyment of the climb somewhat……. 😕

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

One of my regular rides is the “three pubs circuit” I work on around 10 miles a pint

butcher

If I have so much as two pints then I just want to get off and sleep in a bush. Sooo much easier than riding…

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Riding after a few beers?’ is closed to new replies.