Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Ribble Sportive Crack
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

Just found these.

Now I think they are just cracks in the outer resin and I used a scalpel and cut some of the resin away and the carbon weave underneath looks OK. The are both sides one crack bigger than the other. Would you mail this to Ribble?

firestarter
    Free Member

i wouldnt bother as ribble wont be arsed to reply im afraid

foxyrider
    Free Member

I have had a good experience with Ribble myself – all emails answered within 24 hours or so – bough quite a lot of stuff of them in the past with no issues 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

lucky you 😉 id mail them then but i cant see them doing anything other than saying a crack in the laquer but you never know . it was only my previous bad experience with them that put me off one of these as they look lovely. good luck

foxyrider
    Free Member

1 email sent – I have stressed the frame after taking the wheel off and no issues with crack prop – I think i'll ride it and keep and eye on the crack until I get and answer (phone or email from them). I think its is just a crack in the laquer as there is a little one the other side. See what ribble say 🙂

foxyrider
    Free Member

Anyone else seen this – BTW I went for a flat out ride this evening and marked the crack – when I got back nothing 🙂

chameleon78
    Free Member

lets hope they don't read the scalpel comment……Let us know what happens, was maybe looking at a possible purchase from there.

foxyrider
    Free Member

well I got picture of what it looked like before I chipped a bit away – its under 1 year old so we shall see 🙂 rode fine tonight – no squeaks, no crack enlargement so who knows 😐

scruzer
    Free Member

With customer service, they should be interested in checking that out for you, after all they are the 'experts' on their own branded bikes,I hope. Put the ball in their court maybe? Good luck

Frankenstein
    Free Member

That chainstay doesn't look good and assuming it wasn't there before.
    I'm hoping its just the resin as Boardman Team carbons have marks on them from new too.

Best to email Ribble with the pics and ask them if it is safe to ride so you have an email as evidence. Or you can pop into a local bike shop for advice who can supply written quote as evidence if your frame is still in warranty should they the LBS think it is faulty.

Your pics have made me either buy a frame with lifetime warranty or a Titanium frame.

Hope your frame is ok and its just resin marks-check with a LBS to make sure as its not worth risking your health.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I sent Ribble an email and I'll follow it up Monday with a phone call. I am gonna still ride it unless Ribble say no we'll swap it or unless the crack propagates (marked it on the frame) 🙂

Edit: I'll put an update when I know more (either in hospital with broken legs and gravel rash or Ribble contact me back 😉 ) [uncrossing fingers]

anc
    Free Member

Trek carbon frames used to do this on the joints between the bb section and the seat tube its nothing to worry about….according to Trek. That said the newer trek madones don't seem to do it anymore my SL hasn't, so its something Trek obviously addressed.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Nice bike anc, I'm saving for Trek or Spesh so I can get life-time warranty at least but now with summer gone I'm using my winter ride soon!

The Sportive Ribble is a bargain, I do know some riders with the red/black Sportive Ribbles and they do l00's of miles with no probs and these are heavy lardy riders.

Ribble have obviously noticed the bad press and sorted themselves out – look at bad customer service thread- they have been quick to post and reply too.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Oh and I am not lardy 😉 I commute on it and ride some sportives and keep my fitness up on it when I am not on my HT/Five 🙂

foxyrider
    Free Member

BTW – did 95Km today and the crack looks the same so ? Anyway I'll hopefully hear something Mon/Tues so I'll post some people are interested 🙂

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Would be interested in what happens.

BTW how old is the bike from new? e.g. when was it bought from Ribble?

cynic-al
    Free Member

BTW – did 95Km today and the crack looks the same so ?

Even if it is propogating it may not do so quickly.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I got it from Ribble last September (frame only).

Cynical – at least I think I can ride it a bit while I sort it out with Ribble me thinks (obviously at my own risk!!)

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Avoid fast descents at least till Ribble say it is fine!

Dirtynap
    Free Member

The joys of carbon ownership. Bring back memories of my trek 9.9 that snapped on me. It was fun while it lasted.

cynic-al
    Free Member

fr that's my point.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yes cynic-al I was agreeing with you 🙂

foxyrider
    Free Member

Phoned Ribble this morning (twice engaged but twice got though) – original email didn't get through but mailed them again this morning and they said they would forward the piccies to the boss. He seemed to think the boss's (or an employee) has a few cracks in the outer coating on theirs arond the chainstay area IIRC. So cross fingers its just cosmetic 🙂 I'll update when I recieve a reply from the boss man 🙂

RealMan
    Free Member

Binned my sportive racing coming down Ventoux big time last week. Already checked it over, but just went out and checked it again where yours has appears to have problems. Its all fine though.

My experience with ribble (when buying the bike) has told me to email them and email them and email them until they give in and give you what you want.

MS
    Free Member

You have to wonder who the laquer cracked there though…

Could be a sign of what is to come. Not a usual laquer crack as it does look like some sorta stress has caused it. Just keep an eye on it

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yeh I think its a stress crack – maybe see what Ribble say – If I dont hear in the next few days I'll ring them again 🙂 Trouble is I am doing a charity Pro Ride (Tour or Britain) in 3 weeks 😯

foxyrider
    Free Member

Hi Guys. Had my email replied to today from the manager of Ribble Cycles.

From the images they are 99% sure it is just cosmetic. They said this area is the main junction and it is glued and wrapped with carbon to make the joint stronger than the individual components. They said this area has a lot or sometimes a little filler before the final coat is put on and is sometimes a bit inflexible. Either way, it has to flex with the frame and in rare occasions it can develop a thin cosmetic crack in the paint.

They have offered to exchange it but said if I wanted to ride it for the rest of the summer (as I have a major ride in 3 weeks) then just send them the frame and they are happy to exchange it when I am ready 🙂

Can't ask better than that?

RealMan
    Free Member

Nope, that sounds pretty good.

cp

wow, that does sound very good actually!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Nope can't say fairer than that 🙂 As I say I have not had any bad experience with Ribble – having bough a fair amount of stuff from them and have mailed and phoned them on several occasions – the only problem I have really had is getting through on the phone sometimes esp Monday morning 🙂 I do have policy of being polite unless I am being d!cked around generally speaking 🙂

I will obviously keep an eye on the cracks in the meantime 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

I have just bought a frame off them and I'm very happy. Next summer I'll be looking to replace the whole bike and will definately be looking at Ribble to buy from.

As you say being polite goes a long way and I think a lot of the negative feedback they receive is due to shitty customers not shitty service.

Good luck in the Pro Ride too. 😀

foxyrider
    Free Member

Cheer Don 🙂

scruzer
    Free Member

Well done to you Foxy for going about things the right way, its paid off. Having followed your account here I will still shop at Ribble, though my last purchase was incorrct on their website so sent me wrong item.They reembersed me straight away.

foxyrider
    Free Member

No worries scruzer – Yeh we all make mistakes & its annoying when things go wrong but, as long as they are rectified properly, why get shirty 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

must say don i was nothing but polite and i wouldnt shop there again , even tho i really fancy a sportive lol

foxyrider
    Free Member

Perhaps you caught them on a bad day as did others – Anyway funny thing is quite a lot of people have had a good service so? Can't explain it 😯

speaker2animals

When I was in my late teens I was pulled up on my Suzuki X7 for speeding at least 8 times. I only once had to produce documents at a station and generally just got a chat to/slap on the wrist. All the others who I hung out with on our estate got endorsements/fines monthly. I was always meek and polite, the others would act like total *ossers as soon as stopped and paid the price.

I was in the Jobcentre this PM behind a teenage couple. They were moaning about the attitude of the staff member who was dealing with them. They were late for their appointment, swearing and obviously not arsed. They got bad service as a result.

Just saying.

foxyrider
    Free Member

point well made sir 😉

Today I got something off Cycle Surgery but coz I was in a rush I clicked too fast and my invoice address was wrong. I phoned to tell them and appologised for my numptiness and thanksed him for his help in sorting it out. I think he was rather taken back?

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Ribble Sportive Crack’ is closed to new replies.