Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Rib damage advice
  • jobbyheid
    Free Member

So, had a couple of falls recently, one where I fell on the ribs which was a bit sore but I could ride with pain killers, I'm a guide so time off the bike is a bit difficult. Then loading the van the other day I pulled or tore something around my rib cage, after 4 days off the bike it feels a little better but after a quick ride down the road I know I'm nowhere near riding off road, braking and trackstanding feel like they might tear it again..

Any advice or experience?

Junkyard
    Free Member

you wont like this but rest there is nothing you can do that wont involve your ribs 4- 6 weeks depending on severity
    Done mine a few times and you just cant pull up on bars even when you can ride easily advise some road miles once they are relatively pain free

wwaswas

I broke/cracked a rib leaning over the arm of a chair (popping noise followed by intense pain).

Went to see my GP who said there's not much to do except rest it. They don;t tape ribs anymore.

Might be worth going to a physio if you think it's more muscular/tendons than bone that's damaged?

jobbyheid
    Free Member

Don't think i broke the rib, wasn't that sore, I'm more worried about the muscular thing..

Cougar
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

* internet diagnosis is 90% wrong and not to be relied on*

Sounds like a possible intercostalmuscle tear or costal cartiledge dameage to me. As far as I know rest is the only real treatment unless you want to have cortisone / painkilling injections in it.

One for the sports physio?

scottyjohn
    Free Member

I badly bruised my ribs after a spectacular crash whilst skiing. Got helicoptered off the mountain and they xrayed and was okay just bruised, but….. and sorry to tell you this…. I wasnt right for about 3 months! Couldnt lie on my back or anything, had to sleep sitting up, I was in a real state for weeks, then constant pain for the three months.

jobbyheid
    Free Member

That sounds right, TJ, any idea on recovery time for this?

(just noticed the Ask a doctor online ad… those hamsters are quick)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

don't really know – I suspect a few weeks.

Have a google around – there is usually some decent stuff on this

lodious
    Free Member

I fell off my bike and hurt my ribs (dunno if any broke?). Hurt like hell for 3 months. Finally got better and slipped getting out of the bath, landed on my ribs…another 3 months of pain 🙁

Reluctant
    Free Member

Don't sneeze! 😆

Northwind

Seriously, speak to a doctor.

Oh, as for "not sore enough to be broken ribs" that's what I kept saying when I broke my ribs.

docrobster
    Free Member

Doesn't really matter if broken or not. As long as you can breathe ok and not coughing up blood or green stuff there's nowt you can do either way.
    If it hurts for 6 weeks it's broken. If it doesn't last that long then it isn't.

spacemonkey

Yep, did mine on an 'off' a few years ago. Turning over in bed, brushing one's teeth, and generally doing anything that worked the rib area was **** agony. Can't remember how many weeks I had off, but it was a fair while.

gusamc
    Free Member

Here is, pretty much verbatim, the medical advice I got for a cracked rib

"don't cough, don't laugh, don't come back'

Northwind

The advice I got was "take some of these diclofenac".

genghispod
    Free Member

Some advice from someone who's had lots of broken ribs (6 or 7 over the years). Before you cough, sneeze (especially), turn over in bed or otherwise do anything that will stress the affected area, tense your whole ribcage. Contract your abdomen and tighten your whole shoulder area – this means the damaged rib is supported by the others around it and the muscles spread the strain over a larger area.

A surprise sneeze is enough to snap a rib that is otherwise only fractured.

I would also advise using the minimum of pain-killers, pain is your friend and will help you avoid doing too much and lengthening your recovery.

docrobster
    Free Member

Pain is not your friend.
    Pain inhibits movement.
    Lack of rib movement leads to decreased air entry which leads to infection.
    Take adequate analgesia.
    And a fracture is the same as a break. There I've said it.

Andy

😥

Bad news JM. Heal soon.

amodicumofgnar

Watch out for rabit holes, managed to turn bruised ribs into a cracked rib on an easy smooth ride.

jobbyheid
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice, am taking it as easy as I can. No one has come up with a magic potion, I see the point about pain being an indicator too. Rest it is..

takisawa2

Doc gave me pain killing suposetries. Reckoned they work best, & it at least let me get some sleep after breaking a couple at CyB a few years ago. Happened on a Fri night, & I went on to do the MBR next day. What about strapping your chest tightly ?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Docrobster is right

jonoryan
    Free Member

When I was recovering from a broken rib if I was going to sneeze or cough wrapping a towel around my rib cage for support and then twisting the ends to tighten it reduced the pain significantly. The doctor advised taking pain killers and then breathing deeply, as broken rib shallow breathing can lead to fluid build up and pneumonia.

Northwind

"Doc gave me pain killing suposetries."

For all the good those'll do you might as well shove them up your a**e :mrgreen:

And yep, Docrobster is right

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Rib damage advice’ is closed to new replies.