Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Revs Confusion – Help, Please!
  • domderbyshire
    Free Member

Hi, Everyone.

I have 2 sets of Revs, both sold to me as 140mm. However, the AC length on them is about 2cm different (510mm against 530mm) and one shows 140mm of stanchion, the other 160mm. I am confused as to what I actually have. The shorter set are on my bike and I feel the longer ones are too big. The thing is, I wish to sell a pair on (probably the longer ones)and need to know exactly what I am selling so as not to mislead any potential buyers.

Any thoughts?

ATB, Dom.

PJay
    Free Member

I’m a but of a suspension fork novice, but would it be worth checking that the pressures are the same for both forks (assuming they’re air forks). Won’t different +/- chamber pressures affect travel?

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Are they dual airs,Could be running high negative in one set,drags the fork travel down.

Release the air from the negative chamber,this will give you what travel they are.

domderbyshire
    Free Member

Fair point, but they are physically not the same size. The “taller” set are 20mm taller from axle to crown, as well as having more stanchion visible.

ATB, Dom.

domderbyshire
    Free Member

Sorry – cross posted, there. Yes, they are dual air and I will give it a go! The set on the bike are set up as per the recommended pressures for my weight, so I presume these are looking as they should.

ATB, Dom.

PJay
    Free Member

Surely if there’s more stanchion visible then they will be taller axle to crown as it’s the stanchions that separate them. You could always try letting all the air out and then pumping them up equally.

— Edit —

Whoops, I cross posted too!

domderbyshire
    Free Member

I have put 100 psi in both chambers of both forks and the stanchion lengths between the two is still not the same: there is about a 20mm difference.

As an aside, the negative chamber of the set on my bike expelled oil when I detached the shock pump.

I still don’t know what I’ve got!

ATB, Dom.

PJay
    Free Member

I quick look at the 2011 Revelations on the SRAM site shows them as 130/140/150 travel with something about external travel adjustment. I’ve never had Revs. but my old Rebas bought as 100mm could be internally travel adjusted using the All-Travel spacer system. I suppose that it is possible that one of your pairs has had its travel adjusted but (unless they’re U-Turn) you’d need to take them apart to find out.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Try releasing the negative air,just leaving positive.As above, could have a travel reducer kit fitted.

When releasing the negative,turn the bike upside down and leave it a while,this will stop it blowing any oil from the negative chamber.it is meant to have some oil in there.

domderbyshire
    Free Member

They are not U-Turn, but as to their history, I will need to ask the sellers if they were adjusted.

Any thoughts on the oil?

ATB, Dom.

boobs

Oil tends to sit at the bottom of stuff, as someone said, turn the bike upside down and the top will become the bottom and ta da very little oil will come out (most probably) probably best to wait a minute as well.

domderbyshire
    Free Member

OK. I won’t worry about the oil too much.

Is there any definitive way I can tell model?

ATB, Dom.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Let all of the negative air out of both pairs (upside down, don’t get oil on your disc). Then measure again.

domderbyshire
    Free Member

Well, I fitted the longer forks today and went for a ride in the snowy Alps which included a couple of technical descents and ascents. The bike climbed as well as ever and felt fine, so after everything I think I’ll stick with the longer forks.

This means I have a pristine set of Revs (140mm) for sale. They are dual air and from 2010, I believe. 1 1/8 steerer cut to 185 mm. I bought them on here from a guy who had used them very little. I have used them once for a short test ride. They have Poploc, although the cable and lever have been borrowed. I paid 200 pounds but will let them go for 180 pounds posted. These would be great for an XC machine, either lightweight HT or FS. I will post photos when I get home.

ATB and thanks for everyone’s input,

Dom.

domderbyshire
    Free Member

Here’s the link to the original advert:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-rockshox-revelation-forks-140mm-qrpics

Remember, the Poploc mechanism is now absent.

ATB, Dom.

domderbyshire
    Free Member

I have now been advised that the Revs I have for sale are 130mm, not 140mm. Please see my ad. in the For Sale section.

ATB, Dom.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

The next time I have some forks for sale I know know how to plug them on stw!

Seriously dom – you’re pushing it now.

james
    Free Member

If you empty the -ve chamber and then measure you’ll have better idea when measuring

I believe the axle-crown distance is not a straight line, but the vertical element (Where the horizontal element would be a combination of all the forward offsets (crown, dropouts)
    I could well be wrong of course, that is merely my perception, I’ve not read anything anywhere on this

IIRC the A-C of revs should be:

06-08 Rev dual-air/dual-air U-turn/coil U-turn @ 130mm = 508mm
    [dual-air min* of 115mm would be 493mm]

09 Rev dual-air/dual-air U-turn QR @ 140mm = 521mm
    [dual-air min* of 125mm would be 506mm]

09 Rev dual-air/dual-air U-turn 20mm(big fat pike lowers) @ 140mm = 518mm
    [dual-air min* of 125mm would be 503mm]

10/11 (bulged lowers) Rev dual-air/dual-air U-turn/dual position air? @ 150mm = 528mm
    [dual-air min* of 130mm would be 508mm]

*I’m a bit confused by the stated minimum travel spacerable on dual-air Revs, after all the dual-air U-turn models all go lower. It might just be they only sell single piece travel spacers down to those travels, probably not to overlap with the reba ..

domderbyshire
    Free Member

Thanks, James. Very useful information.

couldashouldawoulda – sorry, but I really don’t want somebody else to get the wrong end of the stick. (Like I did.) I had no intention of ‘pushing it’, but I can see why it might look like that. I’ll say no more: the subject is closed on this section of the forum. Thank you to everyone for your help.

ATB, Dom.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Revs Confusion – Help, Please!’ is closed to new replies.