Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Reverb again (sorry)
  • MoseyMTB
    Free Member

When my post extends it doesn’t produce full travel. It sticks with half an inch left and I have to physically pull it to fully extend.

It feels like it gets stuck on a ridge as you feel the pop when it comes free.

It’s brand new and bled twice and it does this without the quick release collar done up so it’s not too tight.

Anyone had this? Anything I can do?

Jeffus
    Free Member

Mine did that after about 6 months sent it back for repair but yours is new so maybe something different, sorry not much help.

Davesport

Have you tried extending the post with it not inserted in the seat tube. It’s surprisingly easy to distort the Reverb’s outer casing enough to make it stick. I can’t have the seat quick release as tight as I do with the fixed seatpost. It makes my Reverb stick down.

D.

jamesco

If its sticking on a ridge as you say may be send it back,OR try a bit more air, applied through the valve in the base of main stem, OR is the cable routing a bit tight causing the lift to drag, OR have you set the bar control to its fastest return speed, OR is it like mine – a bit sluggish in this effing freezing weather ? See if your lass will let you in the kitchen to warm it up a bit !
    Davesport could be right many people have seat clamp tight enough to deform the outer enough to create a narrow spot , sorry.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’ll try it completely out of the frame. It’s in the warm kitchen already ha.

Cable routing is zip tied really loose.

Maybe a third bleed as its still incredibly slow and doesn’t move on anything other than the high speed setting.

What a ball ache.

martinxyz
    Free Member

The seatclamp affects the function? Ok,that enough for me to put the wallet away and wait another year until someone gets these things sorted. Hopefully giant have got their contact switch sorted. Fingers crossed.

In the meantime,the maverick will do!

winrya
    Free Member

As with davesports reply, when I first had mine I set the clamp similar to my standard post and it reduced its movement. Loosened off and was fine

mrplow
    Free Member

Sounds like a return. I can do my seat clamp up as tight as it goes without it affecting the function. Could not imagine it feeling like it has a restriction as it pushes up with so much force. Yours may have poor pressure but I would send it back so that you know it is right as the “restriction” may create further issues down the line with wear.

Had one year on mine now and it works as well as the day I got it which is spot on…obviously it will fail now I have said that!

jamesco

Martinxyz , its more to do with the design of certain seat tubes combined with heavy handed riders, if the tube has a large expansion slot and the rider over tightens the clamp then that combination is enough to deform any seat post, no bike parts need Goliath screwing them up tight!
    Mosey , have you put a bit more air in through the base?

martinxyz
    Free Member

We have pretty much got through the past (at least) 15 years of mountain bikes with seatposts and seat tubes causing no problems at all, its a sad day when we have to start pointing the finger at a seat tube and seat clamp design when we know that the problem stems from the wall thickness of some new fangled seatpost that hasnt yet been perfected.

and by that i mean the internals made small enough to enable a wall thickness that can do the job like all the stuff we have got on with fine over the years…and thats even before they get the reliability sorted on these things. Start from the outside in!! We have used the likes of PUSH posts retailing around £20 and even at that price,they do not fail because of a wall thickness thats too thin.

The only problems that we have (and its not even a freekin mtb) is on mountain bike style bikes such as real poor quality stuff like Universals,Emmelles etc. Those chrome plated steel posts that get pinch marks before the seatpost is securely fixed. This is mainly on mtb style bikes costing around £70-£130. Lets not go there.

Its about paying £150-£300 for a seatpost that now has possible problems with its wall thickness,not to mention the internal reliability.

If this is the case,any brands that cant make them strong enough,stick with 31.6 and forget 30.9 until you nail it on the head with decent testing.. instead of blurting these things out for £270 a pop,using the public as guinea pigs..

yet again ;O)

martinxyz
    Free Member

and even with the quality stuff slightly pinching,maybe they need to start making them slighty more beefier in the first place,james. If its going to affect the function then its either tougher material or leaving more on there in the first place.

Its a shame. These things arent cheap.

jamesco

Martin, I agree all true, often manufacturers falling for the ‘we want to save 5 grammes’ brigade, HOWEVER, the reverb is a good post if that is what you want,I do like the thing but we have ridden as you say for umpteen years without (auto)adjustment and come to no harm and no less enjoyment, we are all in grave danger of disappearing up our own backsides , just get out and enjoy the freekin ride !

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Mines a 31.6 by the way. I’ve not got a shock pump so I’ll borrow one and try that first.

It’s the sticking at the bottom that worries me most.

billysugger
    Free Member

Mine’s cool.

Works brilliantly. Has for a year now.

Clamped up tight as.

Shame if your’s doesn’t I just get bored of reading all the negativity from people who’ve never had one.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Don’t get me wrong I really want the post and if it goes back it will be swapped or fixed.

I just don’t want to send it back if it’s something I’ve missed.

BadlyWiredDog

Surely the Reverb thing is only a design problem if it distorts under the clamping force necessary to hold the post in position, which it doesn’t. I’d humbly submit that if you feel you have to tighten your seat-clamps with all the finesse of a steroid-abusing gorilla, then the issue is user error not a design problem.

You know, in the same way that clamping carbon bars with excessive force so they crack is user error rather than a design fault. Making things idiot proof is something else again.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Another thing running through my head is the amount of time and money spent coming up with everything else on a bike,well no.. a frame. Each year theres usually a few changes to angles,colours,graphics,gussets amongst other things.. how about buying half a dozen quality seat clamps,test them out through all seasons and decide which one works best? If they can choose a clamp that has a well placed cam pivot point and agree on which one out of their favourites lasted the longest/stayed as new throughout a winter,then this would hopefully put an end to seat clamps that fail. Theres manufacturers still speccing seat clamps on bikes with nylon cups that deform and become useless after a week.

They seem more interested in talking the talk,getting new colours and graphics, new anodized caps or stem face plates in a range of matching colours before sorting out how to hold a seat post up on a £3000 bike.

GW
    Free Member

We have used the likes of PUSH posts retailing around £20 and even at that price,they do not fail because of a wall thickness thats too thin.

I’ve bent 400mm PUSH seatposts fairly easily running them at full height for XC.
    talking of which, wouldn’t have thought it would be possible for the reverb to fail from pinching if it was a 420mm version and only inserted to somewhere close to the height the limit mark. Sounds like you simply need a new frame with a shorter seat-tube 😉

if they really are using too thin walled tubing I’d imagine them to be fairly weak. has anyone bent a reverb yet?

GW
    Free Member

I’m with you on seat QRs tho..

the only decent ones ever produced with a good cam and quality material (chromed steel) were Shimano’s from the early ’90s
    wish Shimano’d do a modern XT aluminium QR and clamp instead of **** everything up by introducing MOAR gears every few seasons.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Yeah my cannondale in 1990 had a chrome plated shimano rubber coated q/r and it did the job perfectly. We shouldnt be going backwards… but we do!

Actually.. if i had one of those 20 year old shimano seat skewers, i wouldnt bother with a dropper post because they are so easy to open/close compared to everything else out there at the moment!

jamesco

Mosey have you cured the reverb ? I am confident that your problem is a lack of air , get a pump on that valve and then see the difference, you WILL be happy again, whack 250psi in and watch as your favourite saddle goes into orbit. Good idea not to shorten hose so post can be pulled out easy to gas up in future.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Reverb again (sorry)’ is closed to new replies.