Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Restaurants in Bristol?
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m working away (again) near Bristol and 3 of my favourite places to eat have gone since I was last here 2.5 years ago, so I’m looking for a recommendation or two

What I’m after is:
    Somewhere that does fairly ‘normal’ food. I don’t wanna eat Thai, Indian, Pizza etc every night
    Somewhere that’s not £15+ for a main course becasue I only have £17.50 a night to spend
    Somewhere I can sit quietly in a corner with a book and not be bothered

Any suggestions?

Cheers! 🙂

backhander
    Free Member

Where is “near”?
    You don’t necessarily have to go into the town centre for good food

TooTall
    Free Member

You could look on the Cheesy Riders forum where I started a thread on this subject!

Say Pasta in Emersons Green is quite a surprise to find – nice food, fair prices, not far from your neck of the woods.

backhander
    Free Member

I likes say pasta too. A million times better than bottelinos but not sure if they’d be OK with you settling in with a book.
    There’s loads of nice country pubs around if you have transport.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Anywhere really. I might ride to Bath tonight.

TT – I’ll usually be staying in Emmersons Green actually. I think one if the places thats gone from Clifton was Say Pasta, I’ll have a look for them, thanks!

TooTall
    Free Member

Given I live in Emersons Green, we might actually bump into each other.

Unless you’ve heard about me!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Backhanded, I won’t sit there all night reading, but some places, well, you just get stared at or they’re too noisy if you know what I mean?

backhander
    Free Member

I’d recommend the Roasted veg salad and lamb fusilli

IHN

Yeah, whereabouts will you be?

Fox Den in Stoke Gifford does decent food and beer and is next to a Holiday Inn/Travelodge so is used to mid-week businessmen stting in a corner reading a book. Including me on occasions 🙂

GaryLake
    Free Member

What were the 3 places you liked that have gone?

IHN

Yeah, whereabouts will you be?

Fox Den in Stoke Gifford does decent food and beer and is next to a Holiday Inn/Travelodge so is used to mid-week businessmen sitting in a corner reading a book. Including me on occasions 🙂

backhander
    Free Member

I know what you mean peterpoddo, the reason I say that is because saypasta is quite small and it’s easier to hide away in larger places (old pubs etc).

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Gary, IIRC one was Say Pasta in Clifton, the big health food shop on The Triangle is now a Waitrose, and the Walrus and Carpenter opposite Pizza Express in Clifton.

They have another branch in Bath though, which is my plan for tonight. 25 mile round trip on the bike too 🙂

Olly
    Free Member

Zero degrees for the win!

Rad pizzas (or generic food if you really dont like pizza), and Mango beer.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

IHN the Fox Den looks fairly close as well. Cheers, I’ll try there one night. 🙂

Keep em coming!

Andy_K

Zero Degrees isn’t really a cosy-corner-with-a-book place though is it? Mind you I can’t think of anything other than Falafel King at the minute 😉

edit: I always liked the Moroccan caf in St. Nicks market

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I know Zero Degrees, and to be honest that’s exactly the type of place I’m trying to avoid. Sorry. 🙂

IHN

Be warned: the Fox Den website may give the impression that it’s location is a bit more idyllic than it actually is (it’s in the carpark of a chain hotel, next to a dual carriageway…) As I said though, food’s okay, beer’s good.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

How about either The Wellington or The Inn on the Green, Mueller Road/Horfield common way (avoid quiz night at The Welly to aid your quiet-contemplation-with-book)?

Or any of these in Bristol http://www.thelounges.co.uk/. May be busy at w/e’s and late eve….

In town, I’ve found the The Hole in the Wall to be quite quiet on week nights….

llama

is say pasta worth a 25 mile ride or do you just fancy a ride?

peteimpreza

Emmersons Green? FFS could they not put you up any closer to where you are actually working?

TooTall
    Free Member

Peter

Give me a shout and I’ll give you a rundown of places we’ve found, places we’ve not been to yet and other joys of Emersons Green. I’ve got the Eating out Guide to Bristol for 2010 you can borrow to look through.

toby1

Carpenter and Walrus is worth the 25 mile round trip for those who are asking – great place to eat 🙂

rondo101
    Free Member

Jamie’s Italian has just opened at the top of Park Street & I’ve been very impressed by the one in Bath. Quality food at reasonable prices (~£9 for a main IIRC).

As it’s only just opened, I’m not sure it’ll be quiet though.

ridingscared
    Free Member

Wellington is a good shout, the Lounge , Planet Pizza and the Bristol Flyer all on Glos. Road.Then further down Cafe Kino (in new premises) If you want a curry try the Thali house in Montpelier.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

As it’s only just opened, I’m not sure it’ll be quiet though

Yeah – let the hubub die down a bit. Looks nice, but was completely rammed this w/e.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

is say pasta worth a 25 mile ride or do you just fancy a ride?

I have all evening to kill, and a bike in the car as my main entertainment!

Some good tips here chaps, thanks!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Jamie’s Italian has just opened at the top of Park Street & I’ve been very impressed by the one in Bath. Quality food at reasonable prices (~£9 for a main IIRC).

I’ve been to one in Guildford and it was nice, IIRC it wan’t cheap though, but yeah, I saw them fitting it out the other week, and I’ll deffo be having a closer look at some point

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Restaurants in Bristol?’ is closed to new replies.