Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Replacing shock bushes
  • woody2000

I’ve got a bit of slop in my shock bushes, so want to replace them. Bit confused by what I actually need to replace though – is it just the bit that goes in the shock eyelet that wears and needs replacing?

This bit:

chopchop
    Free Member

Yes, those are bushes. Buy a cheap tool and poly bushes off ebay, job done in 10 minutes.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

You also need to replace the 2 alloy bushes that fit into each of those inserts , they will be where the play is coming from . There are various sizes used so make sure you get the right one for your bike .

woody2000

This is why I’m confused! 🙂

wordnumb
    Free Member

TF tuned website has a good guide for what size bushing for what shock, covers most common shocks. As above, recommend the poly bushes rather than alu.

jam-bo

You also need to replace the 2 alloy bushes that fit into each of those inserts

not always. depends how long you leave them to knock for.

jam-bo

As above, recommend the poly bushes rather than alu.

havent had to replace any since I started using the plastic bushes.

jonba
    Free Member

Kaesae off here is helpful with this stuff. He has an ebay shop (Kaltech?)

Gives advice, sells the bushing and a cheap tool to make the job really simple.

jonba
    Free Member
    woody2000

depends how long you leave them to knock for

Hmm, has been knocking for a bit and I do ride with not much in the way of mechanical sympathy. Is it easy to tell if the reducers are worn too?

wordnumb
    Free Member

Yeah. Replace the bushings, if the problem persists you need to look at the reducers as well. The bushings are designed to go first.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Make sure you buy a tool as I extracted a bush with a socket to drift it out an by mistake oversized the hole. So I now have a small amount of play even after I had them serviced by TFTuned with the new polly bushes.

GW
    Free Member

reducers can wear out too and need replacing, if that happens I’d replace the entire bike with a fatbike

mrdestructo

I bought a strong bushing and tool from BETD way back (fits Stratos and Fox shocks) and it’s dead easy to replace the bushing itself. If you find yourself over York way I’ll lend you the tool.

Standard bushings are designed to wear first, to avoid issues with the rest of the bike. Treat them as consumables like bearings.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Jase – in the same situation. Just bought a tool and a pair of bushings for £12 posted on ebay. See how that goes…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Replacing shock bushes’ is closed to new replies.