Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Replacing Headset? Hope Vs CK Showdown ;)
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

Deciding between a Hope Headset (I already have one) or a Chris King headset for my Hardtail.

Background (you can skip this if your bored): I have a hope one on my Five for over a year now – I have serviced it for the past year on 2 occasions. The first time it was just a very basic inspection, the latter was after a very wet winter and mud had penetrated inside and the bearings were a little gritty. Very pleased with the stainless bearings as degreased n' cleaned, dired and regreased and is good as new.

My question is the usual – are CK headsets even better sealed thus requiring less servicing. I know some riders that swear by them. Otherwise I think I'll save a few quid and go for another hope 🙂 This is not a grudge match between Hope and CK homies ;)Cheers for any comments 🙂

foxyrider
    Free Member

I can't believe no one has an opinion 😉 😳

Dibbs
    Free Member

My oldest CK is around 10 years old now, its has been on several different bikes and I've never felt the need to waste time servicing it. 🙄

IHN

In true STW fashion:

My FSA Orbit XLII is five years old, has never been serviced, is on it's second bike, and is as good as new.

And it cost half the price of a Hope, and a fifth of the price of a CK

And I use BB7s, but won't start that one 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

I've seen a CK ruined.

foxyrider
    Free Member

My FSA Orbit XLII is five years old

Blimey I can undersand it. My FSA Orbit XLII has seized twice now – I rarely jet wash – I guess you have never put any water near it as the sealing is shocking. I do ride in the winter in +++ mud frequently and therefore have to clean it quite often so maybe Water penetration is more of an issue?

AndyPaice
    Free Member

Worth a look at Cane Creek headsets too. They are really nice, with the higher end models being as good as or better that CK (I've owned both and sold the CK).

Bonus being the Cane Creek have a proper tapered washer in the upper cup (collet?) to lock everything in place.

ddmonkey

All my bikes now have CK headsets, two of which were bought second hand. One of those I have had for 10 years. I've never serviced any of them. They all work perfectly. All other headsets I have had have had issues of some kind.

walla24
    Free Member

il be annoying and say i dont like either, if i had to choose it would be hope.
    Cane creek are really really quite good….

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

tbh when I want a headset I pick whatever Cancreek is within the budget for that build

I am considering one of the Crank Bros ones to replace an old FSA pig that has been on an HT for many moons

foxyrider
    Free Member

Hmm Dilemma 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

💡 Buy 1 CK headset and an additional CK crownrace – you can now fit a CK headset to the lower headtube position on 2 bikes (one will be upside down though) – fit whatever you like to the upper position as this one does not get the abuse the lower one does – this may also save you getting the dreaded CK scoring of your steerer tube 💡

foxyrider
    Free Member

Cheers guy – I'll have to have a tink 🙂 and check my purse 😉

Dibbs
    Free Member

I never have and never will pay full UK price for a CK headset though.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Oh god no – I wouldn't either 🙂

messiah
    Free Member

I stripped my year old Hope yesterday and I was not overly impressed with what I found; it was full of mud and grit.

The CK I had before was much better sealed but it marked the steerer which I was not happy about.

Past experience with Cane Creek has put me off them and I have had good times with FSA Orbit Extreme – but MX, XLII and lower I have found not to last very well.

I've just ordered an Acros from http://www.balfa.co.uk as I've heard good things about them… I hope it works out for me.

soma_rich
    Free Member

qwerrty that's an interesting idea!

LeeW

I've had my CK on my hardtail for around 15 months now, I had to service it after around 8 months after a wet ride at Cannock Chase – loads of sand got in to the lower race.

The importer will service it for you can't remember how much that costs though, I did it myself with some Fenwicks in the ultra sonic bath at work. Sweet as a nut now.

DT78
    Free Member

I was throughly disappointed with my hope headset – the bearings lasted 6 months. Whenever I say this the hope fanboys are generally along in a minute with accusations of jetwashing, poor fitting & devil worship.

As I had it fitted by my LBS I paid RRP – then to chuck on top paying another £20 for bearings within 6 months with little use (LBS refused warrenty) I wasn't too pleased.

That aside, all my other (more used) bikes have FSA orbits/pigs and they are still fine after 2+ years use.

foxyrider
    Free Member

❓ ❗ 😯 😡

swisstonyswiss
    Free Member

For what its worth, Iv'e been using a Hope set on my hardtail for 6 years.

Its been all over the place including 2 trips to the Alps. I have never cleaned it or serviced it and it still runs as smooth as the day i fitted it!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Well I got one already – and I think the few times I have jet washed it it has forced some muck in – I think I'm just gonna go for antoher hope. The bearings are fine and I know where I am at with one (seems to be the best balance of value/longevity). Cheers for the comments though 🙂

hillsplease

I am not keen on the CK o ring/steerer interface.

Have filled both with cack, cleaned out and regreased and both worked. King look nicer, but in my case badly scored a steerer which was expensive to replace.

The Hope one is trundling on nicely and is about 8(?) yrs old – dates from when they did the one with roller bearings and the one with sealed bearings with the snap ring and rubber seal. I need to get out more.

nickc

Used both, both are still OK. The CK is at least 8 years old (its the patriot design they bought out after 9/11) and the Hope is, blimey, a couple of years older than that! the anodizing is rubbing off both, the bearings in both are still smooth, never had the steerer scoring that others have seen. I'd be happy with either.

xcstu
    Free Member

CK any day over hope headset… hope died within 6 months…

oldfart

Just to confuse you even more .On one are flogging Race Face Deus headsets for £28 .Retail is £85 according to Silverfish !!!!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Well most places you can get those Deus X for £30-£35 and they get crap reviews from what I have seen – gone with the Hope again sorry – £55 brand new 🙂 Cheers otherwise OldFart 🙂

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Replacing Headset? Hope Vs CK Showdown ;)’ is closed to new replies.