Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Replacing a field gate with a style
  • Alphabet

I have a field with a footpath running through it. Some inconsiderate people keep leaving a gate open causing my sheep to escape.

Does anyone know if I am allowed to just replace the gate with a style or do I need some kind of planning permission? There is a style at the other end of the field.

There is another footpath that runs around the outside of the field so walkers really aren’t going to be inconvenienced if they can’t lift their dogs over the style.

wwaswas

Call your local Rights of Way officer at the council but my guess it aht for a footpath a style is probably acceptable.

I’ll just lift my bike over it in future 😉

[edit] for the doggy thing – you sometimes see sliding ‘trap doors’ next to styles for dogs to go through.

or are they ‘stiles’?

Jamie
    Free Member

Can you not fit a a weight to the gate so it self closes?

richmars

http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk is a good place to look.

trailertrash

Styile 🙄 🙂

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Convert it to a Kissing Gate?

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Jamie – Member
    Can you not fit a a weight to the gate so it self closes?

I assume the OP will have tried a gentle reminder sign along the lines of “Close the effing gate you useless bunch of redsock arseholes!”.

LoCo
    Free Member

I though you meant a specific reginal style of gate, e.g a wilshire style one!?
    The problem with self closing/sprung gates is depending on the amount of traffic they will slowly knock themselves to pieces.
    I worked for the National trust a while ago at Avebury and it was almost a yearly task to replace the gates around the stone cicle as they just got shaken to pieces due to the footfall.
    As above speak to the rights of way officer

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Ahh Friday morning and the stereotypes are alive and kicking…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Replacing a field gate with a style’ is closed to new replies.