Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • replacing a cam belt££?
  • jag61

Just want to see what the consensus is on this one car now done 90K
    Local garage will do this (on wifes picasso 2.0Hdi )for £364! inc water pump.
    They have done good work on previous cars,but what do i need to check up on before committing? thanks john

honkiebikedude
    Free Member

Price isn,t far away to be honest . Not a five minute job on the Picasso .

glenh
    Free Member

Seems like a pretty normal price for a cam belt change.
    Some cars are cheaper than that, some more expensive.

saladdodger
    Free Member

I paid about the same with my hdi picasso but I will not pay that again

I have a choice be lazy or get my hands dirty and I will do the latter

jag61

thanks for that is there anything to also change at the time? or any brand to go for

the-muffin-man

I paid £300 for belt and water pump change on my Octavia last year.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Just use OE stuff from Citroen. May also include a tensioner as well.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

From my days as a mechanic….
    You’re looking about £70-150 for the cam belt kit (cam belt, tensioner and pulley), plus 4-5 hrs labour. Never be tempted to cut corners and just replace the belt – The tensioners just as important.

£364 is about right at a garage. Main dealer likely to be much more.

woffle
    Free Member

double post

woffle
    Free Member

Cost us £250 to have the belt + waterpump done on our Fiat Panda at it’s last service (decent independent garage, not main dealer)…

mcmoonter
    Free Member

My local garage had a guy who did my C5 timing belt as a semi homer. He worked in a Peugeot Citroen dealership and could change them blindfolded. We changed the belt,tensioner, water pump and anti freeze. From memory it worked out at a bit over £200

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Not much point comparing prices from different cars, IMO.

Some cars are 2hrs for a belt change, others 6 hrs. All depends on engine layout.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Looking below I think there is about £180 / £200 in parts (non genuine) leaving £164 labour.

It would take 5 / 6 hours i think, so at 5 hours thats £32 an hour. Seems ok.

You may get it cheaper but its not crazy for the work involved. Just ask if they replace the anti freeze /coolant. I expect they will but it should be done when the water pump is changed.

All tensioners idlers and belt should be done together. If an idler bearing fails the belt still falls off!

http://www.eurocarparts.com/timing-belt-kits

http://www.eurocarparts.com/water-pump-gasket

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Citroen_C4+Picasso_2.0_2007/p/car-accessories/engine-oils-and-car-fluids/antifreeze-and-screenwash/red-antifreeze/?523770511&0&cc5_866

jag61

thanks for all replies as usual all useful. i shall check if citroen oe priced and fluids will also ask about warranty on the repairs i think. goodnight all 🙂

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Citroen will do the job for £299 for belt,tentioner, and roller but not the water pump and at least if the worse happens you have a proper warrenty

monkey_boy
    Free Member

honda HRV here

To change cambelt/tensioners

honda main dealer £321

local garage £278

its b*astard of a job apparently as you need to change 4 other belts before you even get to the main cambelt.

trail_rat
    Free Member

if your in there its fools folly not to change the waterpump on most cars.

stupid previous owner of the golf didnt do the waterpump on ours and it seized and cooked the head.

anything under 400 quid is a good price. and honestly folks changing a cam belt is not rocket science its just time consuming.

sharkbait
    Free Member

£300 for belt and pump on a Golf, but as previously mentioned, not all cars are the same. Our XC90 will cost less than a VW due to a different layout.

giantx4
    Free Member

C-max 1.6 petrol done today dude …£191 fitted ..:(

john_drummer
    Free Member

Saab 9-3 1.9TiD – £600+ PLUS VAT.

when you also need 4 new tyres at the same time it makes your eyes water 😯

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘replacing a cam belt££?’ is closed to new replies.