Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Boardman Road Bike Comp – Geometry
  • PMK2060

I am considering buying a boardman comp road bike this weekend. This will be my first drop bar road bike (currently ride a boardman hybrid). I am not sure if the geometry is suitable for someone new to road bikes. Do any of you have this bike and what are your thoughts?

I really want a genesis croix de fer but the current sale on this bike, my british cycling discount and the fact i can buy this on the c2w scheme makes it very tempting.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I had Boardman Hybred for 6 years then picked up Team carbon second hand. Its a great bike and was also my first real road bike. Now 3 years on its still comfortable fast and easy to use. If I was to get another road bike it would be another Boardman team carbon again. Why change. The genesis croix de fer is more cx so your not really comparing like for like. I commute on mine every day with normal slick road tyres only extra is some mud guards. My advice would be, unless your off roading a bit, go for the road bike it will be a lot easier on the tarmac. If I go off piste I swing my leg over Ms Zesty why compromise your off road experience is my view 🙂

finbar
    Free Member

I had the top Boardman alu road frame a few years ago. The geometry was extremely aggressive, in a good way.

Which doesn’t help you a whole lot, because i have no idea if it’s the same for this year’s comp model. Sorry.

hounslow
    Free Member

The Comp is good for road noobs as it has more relaxed geo, a taller head tube and space for wide tyres and mudguards.

PMK2060

Thanks for the feedback. I am going to have a look at one.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

OMG I’m a road noob ….. shuffles off head down

GreenRoom
    Free Member

I’ve had this in a medium for about 8 months now. It’s a great bike, no complaints specwise, and I built it myself. The geometry is on the lively and quick side without being overly aggressive. One thing to watch out for is that the saddle is awful, and the seatpost has a large layback compared with average. Also if you aren’t super road fit or live in a hilly area, it has sram compact wifli gears which makes steep hills much more bearable (I’m in Cumbria – it’s perfect). It’s not too hard going on rough road surfaces with the triple butting and a full carbon fork.

Bear in mind that I’ve ridden race bikes on and off all my life, so I don’t have a beginners perspective, although a friend bought one coming from riding a lapierre downhill bike and he loves it too.

This is definitely a race bike vs an easy going tourer. It flies – if that’s what you are after

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Boardman Road Bike Comp – Geometry’ is closed to new replies.