Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Replacement jockey wheels. What's good?
  • bruneep

Need new jockeys for my XT 10 spd rear mech.

What’s good cost effective replacements?

smiff
    Free Member

TacX ceramic from somewhere like ribble. only place i think it’s def. worth getting ceramic.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve always found XT to be pretty good (if a little expeesive).

Trekster

Recently got some bbb ones and they are doing the job

eyerideit
    Free Member

KCNC do some nice ones for fractionally less money than XT

A good selection here.

barn
    Free Member

Must be jockey wheel week.

(My post steered me to a Deore which seems fine).

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve got some Mt Zoom ultralight ones, slightly cheaper and lighter than KCNC, lasted far longer than I expected too (significantly longer than SRAM and Shimano)

smiff
    Free Member

yes the mt zoom arent ridiculous at £25, if you must have colours, but the tacx ones i mentioned are only £18
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/mtb-bmx-bike/Derailleur-Spares-Tacx-T4065-Derailleur-Rollers-9-10-Speed-Shimano-Ceramic-Bearings/TACXGRSZ220000000000

also, alloy tends to be noisier than the glassfibre/plastic that tacx use.. but the bb ones i tried shattered.

Wally

TacX stainless Steel – £9 Decathlon.

Moda
    Free Member

Another vote for tacx ceramic here been using them for 3 years…

nuke

Another vote for Tacx. Tried BBB ones last year but the lower one seized so went back to Tacx.

DT78
    Free Member

asked this yesterday 🙂 I’m going for mt zoom, not the ultralight ones though as it is for the workhorse bike. If they perform ok I’ll probably go for the ultralight ones on the race bike.

Am I the only one who gets some sort of perverse joy from seeing a jockey wheel worn to a shuriken star?

ratherbeintobago

Can you get Tacx ones for 2010 SRAM X0/X9? T4080/T4085 look like they won’t fit as they’re for the previous generation.

Andy

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Tacx are fine. Tiso last longer though as they’re metal, and you can replace the bearings, so last for absolutely ages, practically.

ratherbeintobago

The mud round here eats jockey wheels, so metal might be the way forward.

bruneep

went for the Mt Zoom

smiff
    Free Member

Tiso.. they cost £44 or ONE HUNDRED POUNDS for the full ceramic.
    http://www.subzerobikeco.co.uk/?p=1214
    ahh yes.. made in Italy, that’s worth at least £25 right.

btw has anyone worked out how expensive you could make a bike if you tried? (with off the shelf parts) for the £10,000 mtb anyone?

actually they do alloy ones for a reasonable £21
    http://www.subzerobikeco.co.uk/?p=59
    but doesn’t say if they’re even stainless.. making them no better than the £9 TacX probably.

i have to say Tiso do look like very nice jockey wheels.

sorry i missed the £160 “full retard” option
    http://www.subzerobikeco.co.uk/?p=2398
    a snip at 10x the cost of TacX ceramics..

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Running BBB on both bikes.Been at least as good as the Shimano OE ones so far.

fathomer

Has anyone tried the Toronto Cycles jockey wheels? They look nice and are pretty cheap.

njee20
    Free Member

btw has anyone worked out how expensive you could make a bike if you tried? (with off the shelf parts) for the £10,000 mtb anyone?

£10k would be easy. If you get into things like full ceramic bearings there’s £1000 there at least.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

the std Tiso ones are £22 a pair. Like I said, they don’t wear out like placky jockeys, and you can replace the bearings easily and cheaply, so they’re actually a cost effective solution. And they look good, obviously.

You won’t go back to std jockeys, trust me 😉

sam_underhill

Just popped some Mt Zoom ones one in the interest of less surface area to get gunked up with mud. First ride, in the gloop showed much less muck build up, better shifting than the worn out shimano ones that where well overdue replacement.
    Used Tacx in the past, which seemed to do the job well.

DT78
    Free Member

So my non superlight mount zooms are here. 2 days from ordering off xcracer. Super impressed. Look the part too

bruneep

Got my Mt Zoom wheels today.

Speedy delivery

relliott6879
    Free Member

I’d just get XT again. The ceramic bearing in the RD-M732 (about 1992/1993 I think?) rear mech on my commuter bike is still in perfect condition.

EDITED TO ADD: Just actually read the above post properly!. Too late, never mind.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Which of these float and how important do people find it? I used some alloy ones in the past that didn’t float. Never worked as well as the originals.

andyl
    Free Member

I’m just running some Toronto cycles aluminium ones on my 9spd XT mech. Absolutely no problems and lasting well which is surprising for aluminium. Afan grit did wear off some of the anodising but still in pretty good shape.

The wear is good for checking your indexing is spot on too as if it’s not quite right you will get uneven wear.

shindiggy
    Free Member

just bought a pair of standard shimano jockey wheels from CRC for £4.99.

Mine currently resemble ninja stars.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Replacement jockey wheels. What's good?’ is closed to new replies.