Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Replace or service Fox rear shock?
  • ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

My 1999 Marin EastPeak is still running on the original Fox Vanilla float rear shock. I’ve noticed the damping performance has been below par recently with the shock making squelching noises. I think the damper has leaked some oil. Thing is to get the shock serviced would be £79 or I could geat a brand new one of these suntour shocks, is it really such a no brainer?

Suntour RS9- Raidon – LO Rear Shock 2009 From £56.00

foxyrider
    Free Member

What about getting a service kit (if available) did that on my old high volume float rear?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

How often have you had the shock serviced and have you been carrying out regular oil services?

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Its the nitrogen charged damper that I think needs serviced.

from the manual

“YOUR FOX Racing Shox IS PRESSURIZED WITH NITROGEN. THE CHARGED PORTION OF THE SHOCK SHOULD NEVER BE OPENED EXCEPT BY AN AUTHORIZED SERVICE CENTER. IF YOU HAVE AN AIR SHOCK, THE PORTION OF THE SHOCK THAT IS CHARGED WITH NITROGEN DOES NOT NEED TO BE OPENED IN ORDER TO PERFORM CLEANING AND LUBRICATION OF THE AIR CHAMBER.”

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Kingtut,

I had the shock fully serviced by TFTUNED 2 years ago, I’ve done less than 200 hours riding since then which is the reccomended service interval.

foxyrider
    Free Member

“YOUR FOX Racing Shox IS PRESSURIZED WITH NITROGEN. THE CHARGED PORTION OF THE SHOCK SHOULD NEVER BE OPENED EXCEPT BY AN AUTHORIZED SERVICE CENTER. IF YOU HAVE AN AIR SHOCK, THE PORTION OF THE SHOCK THAT IS CHARGED WITH NITROGEN DOES NOT NEED TO BE OPENED IN ORDER TO PERFORM CLEANING AND LUBRICATION OF THE AIR CHAMBER.”

Well I did mine without any problems – At least maybe try changing the seals and oil etc for the sake of £15?

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

You serviced the nitrogen charged damper!! are you sure you don’t mean the air sleeve?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Air sleeve service is easy
    🙂

z1ppy

assuming the anodising is not worn (this should be obvious on the ‘shaft’ going a lighter colour than the surrounding ‘grey), I’d get it serviced and maybe ‘pushed’ too.

I believe they will inspect them before servicing, and let you know what will need replacing, so you can decide…

That suntour is never going to be great…

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Get it services, although even on only 200 hours riding if you haven’t been doing regular air sleeve services every month / 15 hours riding then the shaft may need replacing as the anodising may be worn

foxyrider
    Free Member

No Ballsofcottonwool – I mean I serviced the air sleeve – All I mean’t that servicing the air sleeve and seal is a cheap way of finding out if its just the seals if not maybe its new shock time?

has leaked some oil

The oil surely comming from the air chamber?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Any links on how to do this air sleeve service?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Replace or service Fox rear shock?’ is closed to new replies.