Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • (rental) flat hunting
  • trickydisco
    Free Member

So I’ve been Looking at rental properties since Monday. I’m told the market is crazy at the moment. Go to see one monday, get there and it’s gone already… Seen a few others and the same has happened.

Have my heart set on one i’m going to see today with the agent. Already been to look around the outside and i really want it. Problem is i’ve got a viewing with 4 other people. What happens if we all want it? Fight to the death? 🙂

I’m not sure whether to play it coy and not look interested then get straight on the phone and put smoe money down or tell the agent as soon as i get there.

I’ve already tried putting money down without seeing it but they won’t allow that.

anyone else had experiences like this? The agents keep telling me the market is crazy for rental properties at the moment and stuff is getting snapped up very quick

Hairychested
    Free Member

Change the part of town, head away from this madness. We were struggling in Teddington a while ago so we looked into Hampton and found a larger and cheaper place.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Bristol BTW!

trickydisco
    Free Member

I looked at a place out of town (emersons green) and it really is a soulless place (apologies to anyone that lives there)

highclimber
    Free Member

I hate it when its a group viewing. especially when they don’t tell you.
    you will find somewhere, im sure.

djglover
    Free Member

Read an internal paper at our Co. that said an average of 5.8 people were chasing each avaliable let.

Mad

trickydisco
    Free Member

See all the viewings i’ve had so far has been seperate viewings. That’s why i was surprised when they said 4 other people.

This property is brand new with a huge decked garden so i reckon a lot of people will want it the same as me.

resisted
    Free Member

Rental market everywhere is booming at the moment. When we moved out of our last rented property (about 2 months ago), we were told the agent wanted to bring in “a couple of interested parties between 2 and 3pm”. The landlord had been good to us, so I thought I would be welcoming and make tea for people etc. Went out to buy milk at about quarter to 2 and there was a queue outside the front door! The agent had bought 9 couples with them!

f*ck knows who got it, but I know it went (deposit paid) before 3pm, I couldn’t imagine doing that again. The only reason we got the place first off was because it had snowed on the day of the viewing and we were the only couple who could make it (afaik there were 6 viewings on it booked that day!)

TooTall
    Free Member

Emersons is a bit soulless but a hipster like you would get this party started. I’d live closer in to town but work put me in a house here so meh.

dan1980
    Free Member

I had similar problems in New Mills.

I ended up checking Rightmove every day and ringing up the agents on a daily basis. I got to the stage where I was ready to take anything remotely suitable without seeing it. I was lucky and got the first viewing of the place I’m in now and said I’d take it before I’d seen the upstairs!

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Yeah it’s mad, my girlfriend owns our apartment (well her apartment) she decided we don’t need somewere so big so we just moved to a rented lovely 1 bed house. Put her apartment on at £850pcm and it was taken within a day. Our house is only £495pcm and I get a garden to mess round in, no more fixing bikes in the hallway. I’m told the house rental markets not so bad people just want apartments.

trickydisco
    Free Member

ha ha.. Sorry Garry.. didn’t know u lived in ‘da Green’

Looking at a place in greenbank.. have looked at st george and fishponds as well

randomjeremy
    Free Member

It is crazy at the moment but some scum **** lettings agents will use this to push you into signing for a place you might not normally have taken, so beware any high pressure tactics…

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Emersons is ok (nearly bought a house there but wanted to be closer to the city).

trickydisco
    Free Member

yea.. i’ve already had this guy saying why i couldn’t put all my bikes in the back of the van?? (want a ground floor flat but when i got there it had gone so he showed me a 2nd floor flat)

nickjb
    Free Member

Are you looking in the free ads paper and on gumtree. Landlords tend to advertise there directly and are much better to deal with than agencies. I spent a while lookng in south Bristol and saw lots of shoe boxes with parking issues. Ended up in St George, not the nicest part of town but reasonably lively and good cycle link into and out of town and I got a house for the price of a flat elsewhere so the bikes had their own room. Now in Bishopston which is good for shopping and going out and an easy walk to town.

trickydisco
    Free Member

All i could find on gumtree was house shares. I really like st george actually. Went to see a flat earlier but it was top floor (property owner had 60 properies in Bristol!)

Going rate seems to be £450 – £500 a month for something fairly nice

trickydisco
    Free Member

Well it looks like i’ve got it!

I could tell everyone was interested. As i walked out i said i had some others to look at.. slowly walked away and grabbed my phone to ring them.

I said what happens if the others want it and she said “it’s yours”

I hope she sticks to that

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

Well done you sneaky git 😉

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘(rental) flat hunting’ is closed to new replies.