Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Renault
  • sparkyrhino

My car is very unreliable.

legend
    Free Member

Not a Kimi Raikkonen fan?

ivantate
    Free Member

Everyone one agrees, that’s why they have shut most the dealers and only sell clios now.

Taff
    Free Member

What’s going on?!

druidh
    Free Member

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/

Bottom 10 Worst
    Position Make/Model Reliability Rating
    1 Mercedes-Benz SL 376.00
    2 Mercedes-Benz CL 352.00
    3 Land Rover Range Rover 308.00
    4 Mercedes-Benz S-Class 274.00
    5 Renault Espace 257.00
    6 Jeep Grand Cherokee 250.00
    7 Mercedes-Benz V-Class 248.00
    8 Nissan Pathfinder 245.00
    9 Land Rover Freelander 230.00
    10 BMW 7 Series 229.00

mikewsmith
    Free Member

France good for wine, cheese, mountains and striking

jordie
    Free Member

My Dad had a Renault 18 back in the 80s It went on fire sitting in the driveway when it wasnt even turned on ?

Bez

Enough said

Enough to get something off your chest or enough for anyone else to have the slightest clue what you’re banging on about?

I’m going to go with the first one. What do I win?

chickenman

The old Clio was the worst of all the “superminis” by a country mile, it sold well purely on the strength of the “Nicolle, Papa” advert: With the seat right back, my head was wedged against the sunroof and my knees against the steering wheel (I’m ony 6’2″).The radio drained enough current to drain the battery in 3 days (with it off!). If you drove through a puddle, the engine would stop and all the electrics went dead, requiring RAC callout.

ali69er
    Free Member

Actually have to totally disagree, I have driven every clio model they have made over a period of 12 years. I had a megane and it was awesome. I would buy again without any hesitation. Love the French, love France.

hillmanimp
    Free Member

Don’t buy anything built between 2001 and 2008 and NEVER, I repeat NEVER buy an automatic. The cars they build are better now but they have damaged their reputation so much by building crap cars for too long.

They recently stopped building a lot of their range and are allegedly focusing on the Dacia brand (which they own) and will be pushing that as a budget brand going forward.

Basically they see the future in Asia, and not with the Renault brand. I would not be surprised if they pulled out of the UK altogether in the next few years.

They newest car you ever see in a scrapyard is nearly always a Renault. But, being a glutton for punishment I keep buying them. I had a 99 Scenic with 197k on it last year. Must have been a record.

I also have a Hillman Imp a Daf 44 a Triumph GT6 (it has British Leyland pedals….) and a Lancia Fulvia so obviously love rusty cars that don’t work.

choron
    Free Member

Lancia Fulvia

Easily my favourite car name: sounds like being propositioned by an Italian…

rootes1

I also have a Hillman Imp a Daf 44 a Triumph GT6 (it has British Leyland pedals….) and a Lancia Fulvia so obviously love rusty cars that don’t work.

You in the ImpClub? I used to be.

Si

other half had a mk1 clio – shite, cramped, slow. but reliable and a ‘pretty colour’…

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2000/01 Clio. Absolute heap of shit, but it keeps running, so what can you do?

dawson

I had a 53 plate diesel Laguna, where each of the front suspension springs broke on separate occasions, whilst the car was stationery, oh, and it ate its own turbo too.

Managed to get ~1500 part ex against a new car while the turbo was still FUBAR’d

Conversely, my brother has had a Clio sport 172, and now has a Clio Sport 200, and has never had an issue – but I think the Sport models are made in a different factory?

uwe-r
    Free Member

Whilst there is a whole thread here on the current issue with my Renault Scenic, I I have had minimal trouble with it since paying £4.5k when it was 3 years old!

It had a recall on the handbrake and some other minor bits / tyres etc but nothing significant. Its still on the original exhaust.

We have had 5 years now and I reckon I will get another 4/5 before it dies. Pretty crap life expectancy considering it will not see its 15th birthday or get anywhere near 100k miles (as we hardly use it now) but when you consider how much I paid for it that’s not bad value.

Downhille
    Free Member

I was just wondering why this is classed as a bike thread…

…I can fully recommend a Vauxhall Corsa. At least it has a cool bike carrier integrated in to the rear bumper!!

cars and bikes can live in perfect harmony afterall…

druidh
    Free Member

Downhille – Member
    …I can fully recommend a Vauxhall Corsa. At least it has a cool bike carrier integrated in to the rear bumper!!

Meh – they just copied it from Renault.

druidh
    Free Member

Downhille – Member

Meh – they just copied it from Renault.

rootes1

^ plus heavy and looses you boot space.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Mate has a 4 year old Laguna, and the list of stuff that needed repairing at a recent MOT ran to two pages. Still, it was cheaper to buy than an equivalent Mondeo.

Downhille
    Free Member

wrong, and wrong again I’m afraid….

Renault don’t have one, and it only takes the space of the spare tyre, so your boot stays is it is…instead you get some puncture foam, and a handy onboard compressor to inflate your tyres, both on the car and the bike. Check it !!!

Potdog
    Free Member

“Renault…..Every day a new noise!”

As told to me by a French client when I broke the handle off the inside of the rear door of my Trafic.

But got to say, the old girl has been very good in other respects so far, although the clutch servo needs some attention but it requires the gearbox to come out, so it’s waiting for a little bit until I can afford it!

andydicko
    Free Member

Not a Kimi Raikkonen fan?

What’s he got to do with Renault??

He drives for Lotus!

rootes1

What’s he got to do with Renault??

He drives for Lotus!

Lotus-Renault team which was Team Lotus which was the Renault team which was the Benneton team………

anyhow Renault cars and Renault f1… both show promise but often fail to deliver

hillmanimp
    Free Member

You in the ImpClub? I used to be.

Si

Not at the mo. They know who I am though as have owned Imps for about 20 years now.

I was just wondering why this is classed as a bike thread…

To get it back on track here is an Imp with a bike rack 😉 (not mine by the way and I cant find a photo of my GT6 with the bikes on the back)

MrOvershoot

I had one of those racks on the back of an Opal Manta 😀

Solid as a rock and very quick to remove.

andydicko
    Free Member

Lotus-Renault team which was Team Lotus which was the Renault team which was the Benneton team………
    anyhow Renault cars and Renault f1… both show promise but often fail to deliver

No such Team anymore, its Team Lotus, Renault F1 no longer exist, Renaults only F1 involvement is as an Engine supplier!

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I have to disagree with the clio, its a good wee car, mine runs like a dream, very little maintanance in 70k miles, only thing to break is the hazard light switch.

Not sure i would buy the bigger cars, they all seem to have too many gadgets to go wrong.

stumpyjon

My Clio was nightmare, air bag in the passenger seat went off by itself, went through injector coils and suspension. springs every other month. Scenic was even worse, Renault are the only cars I’ve ever had to fail they’re MOTs, including their first MOT at 3 years despite regular servicing and timely (frequent) repairs. Never ever ever ever ever ever ever again.

willyboy
    Free Member

stevewhyte + 1

Our 54 plate clio was ace – we’ve only just swapped it for a focus (5 doors instead of 3); and to be honest i prefered driving the clio. Low running costs, drove well and i could fit two bikes in it.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

The old Clio was the worst of all the “superminis” by a country mile, …blah blah.. With the seat right back, my head was wedged against the sunroof and my knees against the steering wheel (I’m ony 6’2″)…

You get the same thing in a 1-series BMW, and some muppets pay £35,000 for them.

It’s a basic cheap car, what do you expect? A Maybach?

Pigface
    Free Member

Renaults 4s are brilliant cars.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

The French are famous for surrendering 🙂
    Not a good basis for engineering.
    Now the germans are famous for…..
    Much better 😀

neninja
    Free Member

I used to own Renault 5’s years ago and loved them. First an old shape 5 that leaned at 45 degrees in every corner. Not too bad for reliability but rusted at the first sign of road salt but it was fun and really cheap to maintain.

Then got a 1990 5 Turbo – awesome car which I wish I still owned for pure madness.

My wife and her sister each bought Clio’s on the same day from the same garage a few years ago. They were both total piles of poop.

I’ve never known unreliability like it in every area – oil leaks, paint bubbling off across the entire roof of both cars, drive shaft failures, front discs so badly corroded after 12 months that they needed replacing (only 1/2 the braking surface remained), sunroof leaks etc etc etc.

All of this occurred during the warranty period but Renault had an excuse for every claim and refused to honour them. In the end we packed the drive shafts with grease to stop the knocking and part ex’d it for a new Honda that ran like a dream without a single fault (other than normal wear and tear) until we sold it after 8 years.

I swore then that I would never touch anything Renault which is a shame as I was a fan in the 80’s/90’s.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Renaults 4s are brilliant cars.

“Are” ? You’ve still got one ?! I’ve got to agree though. As the world’s first front wheel hatchback, it was a classic example of innovation in a nationalised industry. It was also an affordable utility vehicle that did the job.

I loved driving R4s, I particularly liked how you could slow right down at the sight of red traffic lights and then pull away in fourth if they turned green as you approached – most other cars would need to go through their gears. The small hinged panel at the rear of the roof on the R4 van was extremely useful for carrying timber, ladders, etc. I don’t why the idea has never been replicated on other small vans.

And I’ve always thought the Renault Dauphine was one of the most aesthetically pleasing small car ever built. Even nicer than the Hillman Imp.

hillmanimp – Member

Don’t buy anything built between 2001 and 2008

So after it was privatised then ?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The French are famous for surrendering
    Not a good basis for engineering.
    Now the germans are famous for…..

Surrendering twice ?

Pigface
    Free Member

Ernie I despatched in a Renault 4 F6 van for 12 months the original vanimal 😀 it was awesome. I would go through a set of points in about 7 weeks and got so good at changing them it turned into a 5 minute job to change and gap them. the only thing that went wrong was had to change the drive shafts, first one took about 3 hours the second and 40 minutes. Must of done 100,000 miles in it and it was still going strong when I sold it. The hatch at the back was great to take off in the summer. Hat peg gear change bench seat just loved it.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Im loving the imp btw….Dont know why there are just some cars that you just know are right.

Maybe its the Scottish roots.

RichPenny
    Free Member

France good for wine, cheese, mountains

And thus beyond reproach for anything else 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Renault’ is closed to new replies.