Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Renal Collic(Kidney stones how painfull)
  • postierich
    Free Member

Ended up in A+e last night for five hours with unbearable pain full of pain killers Tramadol and Voltrol supposetries.Dose of Morphine was lush waiting for a scan probably tomorrow now I want these sons of bitches out of my body now

Thats all and on top of that we are moving house today 😕

Pigface
    Free Member

Hurts dont they.

stevomcd
    Free Member

I had them in the Autumn. Unbelievably painful.

I was on intravenous morphine for the kidney stones. When I broke my back a few years ago, I only got paracetomol!

postierich
    Free Member

Doc did not go into detail so what are the causes take it lack of fluids is the major one!

j_me
    Free Member

I got to the point where I puked with the pain.
    Yes keeping hydrated is important. I was told citric acid (natural lemonade etc) helps too.

busydog
    Free Member

I have had 4 bouts of kidney stones—about as painful as I can imagine anything being. I found that morphine and similar narcotic painkillers not nearly as effective as Toradol (Ketorolac) a prescription painkiller used after surgery and one my urologist prescribes regulary for kindey stones. Comes in pill and shot forms and the shot obviously works faster, but the pills get the pain under control.
    After the first go-around, I start drinking a LOT of water at the first sign of the pain (which, once you have had it, you know immediately what it is) and, so far, have been able to pass the stone—it’s a weird feeling because you know when the stone has passed as the pain suddently, instantly stops.
    My urologist believes the lack of hydration is a big factor for me—I have always had mine in the summer when I am riding a lot in 85-95F heat—thinking I am drinking enough, but obviously not.
    One bit of advice he gave me was if I am riding for 3-4 hours and don’t have to stop and pee at least a couple times I am not drinking enough water.

timwillows
    Free Member

Yep, they hurt

Drac

Sting a bit don’t they.

knottie8
    Free Member

I had a stone a few years back .Doc operated but didnt remove the stone due to complications so I was left to piss it out over a 4 month period ! When it did finally reach the exit point it jammed ! You dont want/need to know the rest but good luck Postie.

oreetmon
    Free Member

erm,,, how big are these stones compared to the end of your ‘mini me’

never really been one for drinking lots of water but thinking of changing my ways.

MrOvershoot

oreetmon – Member

never really been one for drinking lots of water but thinking of changing my ways.
    Beer is fine as well, its all liquid.

Your right though after having kidney stones in 2005, passed 6 in varying states of unbelievable pain.
    I always drink a pint of water first thing every morning to help flush out anything.

Keep hydrated folks

j_me
    Free Member

Think pissing a salt and ground glass encrusted wall nut….and then consider that passing it actually feels cathartic 😯

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Welcome to the club.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Had my first at 26.

Boy do I drink water these days. Renal Colic is the nearest that men can feel to labour apparently.

I was dry retching from the pain, nauseous, white as a sheet and pouring sweat. I couldn’t even walk.

RustyMac

Any of you guys had lithotripsy for them? I hear stoys from the other side as my mum is head of the Litho department at the Western in Edinburgh.

MrOvershoot

Scienceofficer – Member
    Renal Colic is the nearest that men can feel to labour apparently

The ward sister who gave me a Ketamin injection for the pain said she had given birth to 5 children & passed 1 kidney stone.
    Said and I quote ” If any women says you men don’t know pain tell her she’s lying. over kidney stones, give me childbirth any day”

Northwind

Look on the bright side, at least you’re not just going to die of them in constant horrendous agony like in the old days.

Trampus
    Free Member

MrOvershoot +1

Every woman I know who has experienced both ‘sensations’ would rather give life into the world without using drugs, if given the choice! 🙁

Drac

Yup overshoot says nurse told my wife that and as have various females childbirth is nothing compared to renal colic.

birky
    Free Member

Had this last year on summer hols touring the alps and ended up in a swiss hospital. It does indeed smart a bit.

z1ppy

hmmm must drink more water, haven’t had an attack in a few years and I get complacent. Have suffer it 3/4 times, and being curled up in ball due to intense pain is not a fun place to be – mine seem to form and then pass straight out, rather than create huge stones that can be zapped with ultrasonic’s. G/f’s a nurse, so she then has me drinking a pint of water every hour until I pass them… that’s not much more fun when you can’t pee.

Keep hydrated – tt’s not a matter of gulping loads of water down, you need to drink slowly to hydrate you rather than have it pass straight through.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Doc did not go into detail so what are the causes take it lack of fluids is the major one!

Yes, dehydration is the main issue – I put mine down to a summer of bike guiding, where I was probably dehydrated for 3 months straight!

Certain foods are bad too – dairy stuff (cheese in particular) and chocolate.

Once you pass it, they can analyse it to see if there are any particular food issues.

29erKeith
    Free Member

My late step dad had a chronic kidney condition, he had a box about 15cm*10cm*5cm Full! of stones some as big as the end of my thumb.

I’ve never heard/seen a person in so much pain as when he was having a bad bout and having to do what can only be described as “passing sand”
    his stomach was a pin cushion of keyhole scars.

I feel for you guys, I’m so glad as to never of had it myself.

Dibbs
    Free Member

his stomach was a pin cushion of keyhole scars

My mum had surgery for kidney stones back in the 60’s it involved a 6 inch scar and removal of a rib to gain access and then cutting the kidney open to get at the stones 😯

Drac

Certain foods are bad too – dairy stuff (cheese in particular) and chocolate.

Funny I asked the Professor of Urology if food products can cause them and his answer was “No not really” although it’s high protein diets that can help cause uric stones, it’s more to with conditions than diet apparently. For me I have a condition called Medullary Sponge Kidney that’s what causes mine. I was advised that it’s not necessarily the amount of water you drink but how often you pee, which is of course hydration, for me he advised I should pass up to 2 litres of urine a day.

I produce the stones almost consent I can often feel them moving through, sometimes a niggle other times pain to make me wince but so far only the one that put me on the floor into pain induced shock but I have the joy of knowing it’ll happen again. I have painkillers in stock from my GP for when I have attacks and ready for the next one, that said I’ve about ran out but it’s been over a year.

He also explained that the size does not always mean they will be more painful rather the shape and how they pass through. Those spiky ones are the ones that make say “Oh deary me that tingles.”

marty
    Free Member

here’s my last one:

bit of niggly lower back pain, the well kent golfball down hosepipe sensation and it was out ricocheting round the pan and breaking into bits.

first one was horrible – sudden onset falling about in agony sort of a thing. although i’ve had bad ones since, you know what it is and what takes the pain away.

various investigations, but no cause found. last one to send me to a&e measured at 6mm when scanned. popped out the week before i was due to go in and have it fished out.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Renal Collic(Kidney stones how painfull)’ is closed to new replies.