Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Removing sram xd cassette
  • seifahmad
    Free Member

Any tips from anyone?
    Cannondale slate has a sram xd cassette. Can’t seem to shift it (have some new wheels to put the cassette on)

Thankyou

wind-bag
    Free Member

Standard Shimano cassette removal tool, just ensure the splines on the tool are long enough to fully engage with the cassette otherwise it will slip and risk damaging the splines. Removal is as with any Shimano cassette.

BoardinBob

Chainwhip and a cassette tool

If you can’t get it off then there’s a very good chance it’s seized if there was no grease or anti-seize on there or it’s been washed out. Known problem.

rickmeister

Assuming that it was greased when fitted, its the same tools as a Shimano cassette, used in the same way.

Wheel against the legs, cassette facing out. Chain whip stops the cassette spinning… same tool goes in the small end of the cassette….. push down on both tools…..

A key thing is long splines on the tool used to unscrew the cassette to avoid damage and ending with a cassette stuck on the XD hub. Putting the new one on is a reverse process. Grease the splines well and no need to swing off the tool winding the new cassette on the hub.

Thats it really. There are some good YouTube vids on this as well.

Onzadog
    Free Member

With some hubs, it’s worth pulling the end cap off first to ensure fuller engagement with the splines. I believe there’s a little note to this affect included with hope hubs and the end cap modified to allow it although it will work without if using the right tool.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ive had this before, couldn’t budge at all, a trip to lbs sorted It….

I think the key is to regularly take it off and grease, not just leave it for ages

also it states on 40nm torque, I tried taking it off instantly after doing it to 40nm and it was still a bugger to get off

torque it now to 35nm, and I have absolutely no problem at all removing it, theres no creaking nor any adverse effects, just a breeze to get off

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Removing sram xd cassette’ is closed to new replies.