Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Removing oil stain from tarmac driveway…
  • ssmith1979
    Free Member

… so the lovely delivery driver has left a good few splodges of oil on tarmac driveway. Nice.

Degreaser and scrubbing has removed the surface oil, but still a dark stain where it has soaked in to tarmac.

I have purchased some Thomsons (Ronseal) Oil Stain remover and will be trying with a pressure washer to follow – but don’t hold out much hope.

Any other suggestions gratefully received… thanks!

Kahurangi

I’ve successfully removed oil stains from concrete driveway using hot water, washing up liquid, elbow grease and a stiff brush, and a jet washer.

A few cycles of this and it was looking great. Wasn’t perfect but the mark was barely noticeable.

More efficient methods may be available 😆

If you’re dealing with a tar sealed drive you should have an acceptable result pretty quickly.

onandon
    Free Member

Years ago I was told to put a small pile of washing powder on top and leave for 24 hours before washing off.
    It has worked a few times when my old car leaked

darrell
    Free Member

it’ll fade with time

windyg
    Free Member

Washing powder, it breaks down the oil, as above put it down as a powder, leave for 24hrs and wash off

singlespeedstu

Be careful with washing up liquid and boiling water or you could end up with a hole instead of a small mark…

project
    Free Member

dont use a jet washer on tarmac it will loosen it up and youll have a pothole, washing powder afgain or Swarfega oil and grease remover, its water based pour some on and leave overnight, then gentle scrub with water and rinse.

swarfega oil and grease remover sold in b and q toolstation and screwfix

CheesybeanZ

Theres a few videos on YouTube of people using full fat coke on oil stains .

johndoh
    Free Member

I must admit that I really don’t think I could be bothered with removing an oil stain rom a drive. As above – it’ll fade with time.

However, if you really feel you need to remove it, Dave’s Insanity Sauce claims on the label that it will remove oil stains. And if it doesn’t, you can use the remaining contents of the bottle to spice up your chillies.

v8ninety

Problem with oil stains (esp from Diesel engines) isn’t the oil, it’s the soot that it carries into the fabric of the material. You can degrease the oil but it’ll leave the carbon behind. I know this from owning a diesel Land Rover and a concrete drive. I wondered in the end whether it would be better just to brush used oil thinly over the whole drive…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Removing oil stain from tarmac driveway…’ is closed to new replies.