Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Removing ISIS cranks/bottom bracket when crank puller thread stripped
  • s-keeper

Hi,

I have a bit of a problem – I want to bin these cheap ISIS cranks that came with my Genesis IO but using a crank puller on the drive side stripped the thread. I got the non-drive side crank off though. Can I disassemble the bottom bracket like this? What tool would I need for the 8-notched ring on each side?

Cheers,
    Andy

ds3000
    Free Member

You’d need one of these tools to remove the ISIS BB.

However, unless you can get the drive-side crank off, there’s no way of getting the BB out.

For further advice I defer to other, more betterer members of the forum……

coatesy
    Free Member

You may be lucky, if you find a C-spanner for an old style BB lockring you should be able to loosen the collar, but getting the remaining cup out may not be so easy.A 2 or 3 legged puller, and some ingenuity in getting it to fit/work, may be your next hope.

onandon
    Free Member

whats wrong with using crank bolt extractor caps?

toys19
    Free Member

on and on – Member

whats wrong with using crank bolt extractor caps?
    His thread is stripped.

Thwack the crank arm wit hammer whilst using a big lever? Failing that cut the crank arm off.

Marko

I’m assuming the chain-set is going in the scrap bin?
    Method 1:
    Get some heat on it! A long punch and batter it off from the non drive side.
    Method 2:
    Heat! Get the chain ring off and use a 2/3 legged puller. These are cheap enough:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/13pc-HARMONIC-PULLER-SET-bearing-hub-flywheel-gear-/180685525788?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item2a11b2531c

That one will give you the option of 2 or 3 legs.
    Marko

onandon
    Free Member

you misunderstood.

why wasn’t an extractor cap used initially ,as opposed to a crank puller.
    the thread would need to be pretty darn fecked to not be useful in getting the arm off.

Betamax
    Free Member

I had exactly the same thing happen to my IO cranks. I used a three legged puller and lots of heat. If not cut/chisel it off.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

Take the bolts and and ride around the block. Put loads of pressure through it though

s-keeper

Many thanks for all your suggestions!

Since I don’t have the 8-notch tool yet, I think I’ll buy this one, just incase I can use it without removing the stuck crank first. If not, I’ll try heat/battering it off/legged puller method!

Cheers,
    Andy

coatesy
    Free Member

Bear in mind that ISIS isn’t Shimano, and there quite a few lockring types out there, so they may not fit.

Edric64
    Free Member

angle grind the crank off and use the right cup remover simples

nickjb
    Free Member

Hammer and screwdriver on one of the notches if you don’t mind damaging the BB. Don’t forget drive side has a left hand thread

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I did the same thing a while ago, a mate had a gear puller very much like these that got the crank off very nicely (it was a little gouged up but I don’t suppose you care at this point?)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Removing ISIS cranks/bottom bracket when crank puller thread stripped’ is closed to new replies.