Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Removing hope pro2 bearings without the correct tools…help
  • ton

is it possible to remove hope pro2 front bearings without the correct tools?

got a hammer, got a drift, what else do i need.

kaesae
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sKcq9ChVEE[/video]

I would take the rotor off first!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Go for it. Ive never done it with Pro2’s, but on the Bulbs there wasa metal tube between the two bearings, push this to one side slightly, then bray them out with a hammer and screw driver. Too replace, use a correct sized socket piece.

alfabus
    Free Member

socket set, hammer, screwdriver, bits of wood, g-clamp, vice.

all valid tools of the bearing trade

ton

cheers boys 8)

Stevelol
    Free Member

If you have an old axle for the same hub that can help too.

I’ve done it before with sockets and stuff, but really, buying the tools makes it so much easier.

wwaswas

buying the tools makes it so much easier.

this.

can’t believe how much less hammering, swearing and fear of damaging stuff there is now I have the right tools for Hope bearing changes. It’s actually become a pleasant experience rather than an hour of hitting and hoping with a big hammer and sockets that are just the wrong size.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

buying the tools makes it so much easier.

+2

Some people will refuse to spend a few quid to make their lives easier. Me, I prefer to have a little less cash and more time on my hands by doing the job quicker and easier.
    <extreme example>You don’t blow up tyres with a straw, do you? </extreme example>

Actually, silliness aside, the socket I used to use worked fine on one side, but was too short on the other. Having the right tool for it was a revelation.

ton

done it now. took me 8 minutes.
    drifted the 2 bearings out, cleaned the inside of the hub.
    pressed the new bearing in using a block of wood, a socket (correct size) and the forklift truck in the warehouse.

nowt like a good old bodge…….. 8)

alfabus
    Free Member

and the forklift truck in the warehouse

stuff of legend! Pics or it didn’t happen 🙂

Dave

SBrock
    Free Member

The edges on the sockets are chamfered, you run the risk of compromising the integrity of the seals, using the correct tools will prevent this.

I learnt the hard way, used a socket bit a month later the bearings were shot as the seals had been damaged.

Just buy the whole PRO2 tool kit, got mine from18bikes think they are about £20′ like previous people have said it makes your life so much easier.

alfabus
    Free Member

The edges on the sockets are chamfered, you run the risk of compromising the integrity of the seals, using the correct tools will prevent this.

Bit of common sense should prevent this – I tend to press the new bearings in using the back of the socket (which is flat) or using the old bearing as a packing piece.

Dave

hopefiendboy

^^alphabus

wwaswas

I could never find a socket which was wide enough that only the outside of the bearing was being pressed but not so wide that once the bearing was inside the hub the socket got stuck.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Removing hope pro2 bearings without the correct tools…help’ is closed to new replies.