Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Removing Chainring bolts
  • Highland28
    Free Member

Hi All,

trying to replace my chainring but currently 2 of the bolts are refusing to loosen and are just spinning on my slx cranks. I have tried using the specific tools for holding the bolt in place but i can’t seem to get anywhere with it.
    Has anyone got any suggestions or tips that might make it easier?

Cheers

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ahh. The tool always works for me…..

jackthedog
    Free Member

Hmm. If the tool isn’t working, try a combination of a pack of cookies and your LBS.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

I have tried using the specific tools for holding the bolt in place but i can’t seem to get anywhere with it.

Can you be a bit more specific – what tool are you using, and in what way is it not working?

Highland28
    Free Member

I have the icetoolz chainring bolt tool, it like a screwdriver basically, I have tried gripping it in the vice and turning the torx key with my hand but it is just slipping, which is obviously not what you want to happen.

bigyinn
    Free Member

bristolbiker, thats a pretty dumb second question. 🙄

Haze

Angle grinder?

thepodge
    Free Member

a bit of heat might work. sometimes they are locktited in and the heat should break the bond.

stumpy01

Have you managed to get two out and now can’t get the others? If so, completely removing two bolts might have added extra tension to the remaining bolts making them hard to remove.
    Replace the removed bolts & nip them up so they take some of the tension out of the remaining two. The try removing them all a bit at a time…..

seanodav
    Free Member

i had one stuck and the bit the tool fit in was rounded so gripped it using these
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-steel-10-water-pump-pliers/37427
    i opened it far enough to get one of the jaws on the nut and the other jaw on the edge of my bash guard holding it still.
    might be worth a try!

scruff
    Free Member

Try soaking the offenders in WD40 and leaving overnight to marinate.

lovewookie

Two things you could do.

try gripping the slots in the back of the chainring bolts with circlip pliers, they have worked for me in the past.

If not, I’d assume you’re removing a chainring to replace it? I’ve needed to dremel out the bolts before. If you can cut the chainring off the bolt you;ll have enough exposed to either cut the top off and remove the remainder, or grip with a vice or vice pliers.

once done, replace with FSA/A2Z bolts with a 5mm hex one side and 6mm hex the other. Those don’t get stuck.

🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Removing Chainring bolts’ is closed to new replies.