Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Removing a 2005 Lefty Max steerer
  • ruminant
    Free Member

Hi all

I'm replacing my lefty with a set of Fox float 32 140mm RLC forks and have 2 questions:

1. How do I remove the steerer tube at home, tried LBS but they can't help so need DIY way of doing it

2. what headset to use. been told by hope theirs would work but CRC states it doesn't. Has anybody used one? what else is there?

cheers

monkeyp

for Q 1

Remove stem

Undo fork crown bolts

Whack steerer with rubber mallet

Jobs a goodun'

glenh
    Free Member

1. once you have remove the stem + upper crown it will be free. You'll probably have to whack it a bit though as it's a tight fit in the headset cartridge bearings.

2. The headtube is 1.5" diameter. However, depending on the model/year of the frame some 1.5" headsets may not fit as the cups are too deep a fit into the frame. This generally isn't an issue on newer frames though.

I fitted a superstar 1.5->1+1/8 headset to my '06 rush no problem.

lovewookie

FSA do a cannondale reducer headset, as do woodman I think. Otherwise use reducer cups from BETD (among others) and a 1-1/8th headset.

walleater

You'll need the equivalent of the Cannondale black rubber dildo thing to get the steerer all the way through, and the chances are you will have to hit it pretty hard.

ruminant
    Free Member

BLACK RUBBER DILDO THING???

technical is that?

glenh
    Free Member

I dunno what he's on about. I don't have and haven't ever used a black rubber dildo thing, even when removing my lefty!

ruminant
    Free Member

I know what he means about hitting it hard though, tried before and gave up trying to get past the lower bearing, any tips?

the bike is a 2005 five model so should be fine?

glenh
    Free Member

I don't remember having to hit mine particularly hard to be honest. Just a few whacks with a bit of wood.

ruminant
    Free Member

thats what i thought, just drop it through the head tube and tap?

thanks for the feedback by the way

walleater

The rubber dildo thing is the correct long drift thing that you are meant to use to remove the steerer, or at least get it passed the lower bearing.

ruminant
    Free Member

Thanks to everyone who offered advice.

It went fairly smoothly, just need to remove the headset itself now

glenh
    Free Member

More hammering – this time involving a big screwdriver 😛

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Removing a 2005 Lefty Max steerer’ is closed to new replies.