Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Remote light switch
  • Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Just fitted the remote switch sent by Luminous to go with my 601 – it’s a very neat little thing with a nice anodised housing and weighs about – errrmm – my scales didn’t even register it – about 10g I’d say!

Makes night switching of light modes far easier. About to test it fully but it’s a cracking little item.

I’ll probably crash horribly now…

Coleman
    Free Member

Surf-Matt. Yet another plug for Luminous products. I hope your on a decent commission!
    PS – From a serial Exposure groupie. 🙂

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Nope – just like to shout about decent products and good service 😉

spokebloke
    Free Member

Put some air in my tyres tonight – brilliant stuff – would thoroughly recommend.

jimjam
    Free Member

What sort of air and how much?

firestarter
    Free Member

I did too spoke that’s spooky that is

Coleman
    Free Member

Where can I get some air like that? Is it from Hong Kong? What would the delivery times be like, and how long would the pressure last?

spokebloke
    Free Member

Not sure if there’s a UK distributor yet – there’s an opportunity for someone.

showerman
    Free Member

i like to mix my air 50-50 makes me go faster

jimjam
    Free Member

Potential warranty issues with such a set up though.

slimraybob
    Free Member

I’ve got some air left over from the car, can I use this auto air in the bike?

Stoner
    Free Member

No problem using car air in bikes.

You can get 5litre tubs of it from halfords. Much cheaper than the stuff in your LBS.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’ve got some air left over from the car, can I use this auto air in the bike?

Works fine. Just don’t do it the other way round, as the cycle air will not have a high enough speed rating for automotive purposes.

Stainypants

I’d recommend using pure nitrogen its about 2% lighter than air or if your a real weight wennie you could use hydrogen which is about 15 times lighter but your wheels might explode.

robdob
    Free Member

What you MUST do is be very specific when ordering your air. It is easy to order the wrong thing and it will have a big impact on performance. People who have filled their tyres with hair, chair or bear will back me up on this.

antigee

always use a properly apprenticed airdresser they are taught not to laugh at your home bodges and charge you just the right amount so you don’t feel under pressure

spokebloke
    Free Member

Stick with known brands – I always go with Awesome Air – it just feels right.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You can get 5litre tubs of it from halfords. Much cheaper than the stuff in your LBS.

It’s true! Eight pounds fifty for a little 500ml bottle from the LBS, or just twelve pounds for 5 litres in Halfords. Its EXACTLY the same thing. What a rip-off activity biking is. 😡

trout
    Free Member

Elfin
    are you still wanting this sewing machine
    fed up with tripping over it

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I see – mention a good product, thread gets taken over by goons.

Oh well.

Stoner
    Free Member

Your Awesomeness, how about putting some pics in next time, or something of how it connects? nothing on the rather empty luminous site, so Ive got no idea what on earth your post is badgering on about.

A remote, yesterday:

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

:lol 😆 😆

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Will put a photo up – Lum’s lights come with a remote switch connector. You shove the connector in, attach the switch to the bars and away you go – three modes at the touch of a thumb.

Oh and Spokebloke – sorry I didn’t buy one of your lights. Seems to have caused issues – hence you crashing this thread.

Nice try but Lum’s lights kick yours into touch.

Chris-S
    Free Member

Hi Smurf-at

Does the switch work with any other lights.

My DX light is the dogs ‘b’s but as it has 5 modes it does take longer to cycle through the modes

wwaswas

What I’d really like is a wireless remote for a helmet light.

Something on the bars you can use to turn it on/off.

Luminous
    Free Member

Yesterday, after being out STW range yesterday, instead having to spend too much time in the dentists chair 🙁 , I’ve only just found this thread.

Stoner.
    I haven’t had time to update the website, not sure what the empty remark means, sounds like your upset about something.
    But its just a remote switch, two wires, IP67 connector and switch, connecting to the connector on the battery lead.
    Place the switch next to the inboard end of your handle bar grip and operate the light with your thumb. Simple.

It makes selecting/adjusting light output while on the move, alot easier. In the same manner that remote suspension fork controls enable easier adjustment/lock-out, etc.

Constructive website suggestions will be considered.
    😉

Cheers

Luminous

Luminous
    Free Member

Wwaswas.

Thats a good idea and I see the attraction, but wireless would require a power source and would likely add weight, which as we know, for a helmet light is a primary consideration.
    Then you’d also have to cater for two people using the same brand and model of helmet light, not operating each others light
    😯

The unintentional operation by people in close proximity, using the same equipment as you, is something the wireless bike computer companies have had to deal with.

Perhaps a good compromise would be a remote switch on a long fly-lead, so that you could attach the switch to your back pack strap, in a similar fashion to those camel back bite valves.

I think the helmet Light Chipps reviewed in issue 61 had a remote switch on a long lead, and the 401 can use a remote switch too.
    🙂

wwaswas

you’re right there are issues but with, bluetooth, for example you have to ‘pair’ devices before they’ll work together so if the switch unit had a code that the helmet light knew then you’d avoid the problem of interference.

most car alarm keyfobs are pretty small/lightweight and the bit at the other end could be powered by the light battery (wired in to the circuit as per your remote switch).

I did like the switch on that light chipps reviewed too.

Stoner
    Free Member

OK, some pointers for you:

1) there’s no photos of any of your range mounted to either a bar or a helmet or head strap.
    2) No photos which give any indication of scale
    3) No photos of head units attached to battery packs
    4) No photos which give any indication of battery pack size
    5) No beam shots (!)
    6) no photos of remote

Lots of macros shots of anodised CNCd work and graphics. Bravo. Im sure you’re very proud of the fabrication quality (and yes, it looks fine, no worse than any other CNC product), but it’s not substitute for informative images.

spokebloke
    Free Member

Oh and Spokebloke – sorry I didn’t buy one of your lights. Seems to have caused issues – hence you crashing this thread.

No issues in the slightest – I crashed the thread because I felt sorry for your vacuous post – thought it needed awesomising.

chriswilk
    Free Member

I’ve used the proto Luminous remote and it worked well. Small enough to fit between the shifter and brake clamps too.

clubber
    Free Member

luminous – any pics of the remote and costs – assuming it’s a momentary push-to-make, I reckon it’d work well on my homemade cutter light…

(I’m currently using a bodged remote button from a Cateye speedo which works perfectly but is a pain to actually mount near the grip)

Luminous
    Free Member

Stoner.

It seems that most of your issues appear to be with a lack of images. Plans are already in the pipeline for a “Gallery”.
    However, as you are a regular on here, you have no doubt seen in-situ pictures of all the lights I produce 😉
    But yes, more pictures are on the way.
    Cheers.

Furthmore, the switch Surf_Mat has is the first production level switch. As ChrisWilk points out, the prototypes have been knocking around, but I am at the mercy of the lead times dictated by my suppliers and the snow in certain parts of the country.
    I can reserve one for you though if you wish.

Clubber.
    Yes its a MOM switch, it fits to the bars with a simple rubber ‘O’ ring, fully waterproof.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Okay guys, here’s a quick (and poor!) mobile phone shot of the light and switch. It’s just to the right of the light.

Very neat and worked a treat last night on the best ride I’ve had in a LONG time.

New SID forks are brilliant too.

clubber
    Free Member

So, how much does the remote switch cost? (Looks good)

spokebloke
    Free Member

Surf Mat – isn’t the thumb switch approx 5mm away from the switch on the back of the light?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Spoke – it’s about 10x easier with the switch.

Clubber – I’ll let Lum give you costs if that’s okay?

Stoner
    Free Member

you have no doubt seen in-situ pictures of all the lights I produce

nope.

To “assume” makes a blah di blah di blah.,.,..

EDIT:

let me put it another way anyway. If i were in the market for a light I wouldnt buy one if I hadnt seen (or found easily on a product website):

1) there’s no photos of any of your range mounted to either a bar or a helmet or head strap.
    2) No photos which give any indication of scale
    3) No photos of head units attached to battery packs
    4) No photos which give any indication of battery pack size
    5) No beam shots (!)
    6) no photos of remote

So, its not my loss if the photos dont exist. Guess whose loss it might be?

lcj

After this hype about using air in tyres I ordered some but CRC still haven’t delivered it GRRRRRRRR! 👿

Stoner
    Free Member

should have bought your air at halfords then, durrr 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Remote light switch’ is closed to new replies.