Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Remember these?
  • yunki
    Free Member

I remember half pennys.. they were pretty useless weren’t they?
    Not even good for buying a penny chew with.

they conveniently weighed one sixteenth of an ounce though… which was very useful at school..

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Exactly! Thanks

Trampus
    Free Member

Ah yes, nod and smile at the old folk indulging nostalgia. I’ve always had trouble counting in anything other than binary. On or off, it’s so clean. I never noticed the racism in blackjacks – am I a liberal or a denier?

Surely denier is a silkily imperial measure, you young tosser! 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Actually trampus is right. Stockings are measured on a denier scale.

Ee, speaking of stockings; they’re something that seem to have gradually disappeared from our society. I don’t think decimalisation can be blamed at all.

I blame Thatcher. It’s got to be her fault.

RustySpanner

Yunki:
    they conveniently weighed one sixteenth of an ounce though… which was very useful at school..

All tens and twenties nowadays.
    [Meldrew] Kids today, eh? No sense of history…..[Meldrew].

Kunstler

I believe that ‘young tosser’* is a relatively modern form of con-descension and wholely not in keeping with imperial measures. Indeed, you may have ambled your way into some form of disambiguation.*

*got any werthers grandad?

*also I really am almost flattered to be called a ‘young’ tosser. Makes a change.

edhornby

for a generation getting ready to forget the value of money. Stop thinking about it, it’s easier to spend. That’s worked out well hasn’t it?

well it’s your generation that’s been running the governments, bank of england, treasury, regulators, banks and investment houses for the past 20/30 years… any more daft generalisations ??

Decimalisation is a good thing, I’m not sure that the previous system being around for a long time is proof that it was an efficient system, it could easily be retained due to stubborness or lack of invention

RustySpanner

So when are we decimalising musical time signatures then Ed?

Trampus
    Free Member

Kunstler, you are a **** psychicpathic! How did you know I was mainlining Werthers? 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

I never noticed the racism in blackjacks

Isn’t racism in the eye of the beholder?

Amos
    Free Member

I was expecting White dog poo, which I think is probably more interesting than this thread! My god this is a dull thread! But I still find myself reading it?

Kunstler

I never noticed the racism in blackjacks

Isn’t racism in the eye of the beholder?

I’m pure. 8)

trailmonkey

@ yunki

😉

donsimon
    Free Member

Amos – Member

I was expecting White dog poo, which I think is probably more interesting than this thread! My god this is a dull thread! But I still find myself reading it?

But clearly interesting enough to leave the classifieds and bike sections for, not only to read it but to add your pearls of wisdom.
    I feel that something positive has been added to the world and I feel warm inside.

Pictures of white dog poo next week.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

your pearls eggs of wisdom.

😛

scaredypants

missed a great opportunity for a “show us yer thruppenybits” thread title

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Didn’t Noddy have to put threepenny bits in his car to make it go? Or was it Tanners he put in? I’m so old I can’t remember!

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Remember these?’ is closed to new replies.