Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Remember the 'Tandem of Doom'?
  • MrSparkle

Well the project still lives even if the orignal thread seems to have disappeared.
    It's gone from this 27" geared ex drop handlebar shed:

To this 26" wheeled singlespeed mtb shed with no brakes:

I'd got some donor 1" steeerer mtb forks which just needed a little extending:

I found somebody handy with the brazing torch and..

So, it's got a front brake now. yay!

And now I just have to get these:

attached to here:

And the death trap can be let loose!

D0NK

Singlespeed tandem, bodged together, mates garage wielded deathtrap, wouldn't touch it with yours 🙂
    Erm aren't you going to ground it on the first kerb you ride off?
    Very niche tho, I eagerly await the first ride review/postmortem.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I think you may die

nbt

Looks like a proper deathtrap. English bodgery at it's finest.
    are your riding it @ Hit The North?

I'm considering bringing the Silver Machine and offering laps of the campsite for charity 🙂

soobalias
    Free Member

tandem of doom,

Cressers and TJ ride together?

ourkidsam
    Free Member

I think you may will die

fisha
    Free Member

I think my concern would be the central section between the 2 seat posts not collapsing

tis very niche though.

thumbs up

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

LOL@ soobalias

jackthedog
    Free Member

What brakes did it originally have? U brake BMX type thing?

MrSparkle

Donk – actually got it brazed at a College. It's got a re-inforcing bar attached inside the steerer so it's far stronger than it was orginally. But that apart you're about right! Anyhoo it's just a bit of a project for me and the first born. It might come to SSUK with us (if it's not folded in half by then)…

MrSparkle

Nah, it has 27" 'roadie' wheels on it so they were just caliper brakes, totally redundant with 26" wheels and fat tyres.

RealMan
    Free Member

MTFU, and make it fixed.

D0NK

(if it's not folded in half by then)…

thats a pretty big if 🙂
    not sure I'm doing ssuk this year but if so I may chance a lap of the campsite on it.

lowey

Nice, but can you wheelie it ?

Let me know when your coming down Blackburn Road on it and I'll come along and wipe you up 😛

Eccles
    Free Member

MTFU and get SPDs on there. Show some commitment.

peachos
    Free Member

RealMan – Member
    MTFU, and make it fixed.

haha…that would be fekking ace…two lunatics unable to stop pedalling…i'd pay to watch that!

nbt

I've a pair of bolt-on v-brake mounts from an inbred in the garage, it they'll be easier to mount

MrSparkle

Ooh, I might take you up on that!

nbt

Drop me a line with your details and I'll bob them in the post

MrSparkle

You sir are a star. YGM

RealMan
    Free Member

Does he win a free ticket aboard the ToD on its debut ride?

epicsteve
    Free Member

I think you may die

+1

MrSparkle

Does he win a free ticket aboard the ToD on its debut ride?

Yes, second prize is two goes.

cynic-al
    Free Member

No way would I put a repaired fork on a tandem.

soobalias
    Free Member

you brazed the fork/steerer?

what are you an art student

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Go steady for a few rides eh. It might fall to bits.

Coyote
    Free Member

Go steady for a few rides eh. It might will fall to bits.

Fixed it for you.

MrSparkle

Gah.Oh ye of little faith! ;0)

tthew

Could you get your mate with the torch to braze another tube between the top of the front seat post and the rear BB. Would make it a bit stronger. Great project though, more power to you!

farm-boy
    MrSparkle

Could you get your mate with the torch to braze another tube between the top of the front seat post and the rear BB. Would make it a bit stronger.

I am thinking about this.

MrSparkle

OK T.O.D fans here's the lastest installment. All you Health and Safety whimps and those of a delicate disposition should look away now…

The rear brake was always going to be a problem so when nbt offered to send some 'bolt on' brake bosses I snapped his hand off. True to his word I soon recieved an interesting looking envelope. I had googled bolt on brake bosses but didn't really get much so I had no idea what to expect. This is what turned up – 2 of these:

Never look a gift horse in the mouth is my watchword but when I offered 'em up to the frame it soom became apparent that I would have to drill and tap 4 holes into some very spindly and no doubt elderly seat stays. As this wouldn't have left much metal left to do anything fancy like hold the frame together I had to reject that idea.
    I was still loathe to do nowt with such lovely made pieces of ali so I came up with Plan B.
    Now, I must add at this point that this is only a temporary bodge just so we could actually have 2 brakes on the damn thing.

I had already rooted out some discarded v brake arms that I'd forgotten I had, so I stuck them on.

As I didn't have a new brake cable long enough I had to re-use the manky original one. I chopped the frayed end off but then had to shorten the outer so there was enough cable exposed. This led to an interesting way of routing the cable outer…

All that was left to do was to put a couple of bells on – hey, safety is my other watchword! ;0) This one seemed apt..

and one for the Captain to ring in moments of real fear.

The dog looked on as the final touches were made

A quick squeeze of the brake levers to make sure they were doing something and it was time to get a couple of chickens to ride the thing…

at least it's kind of together. I know the position I need for the brake bosses so I will probably get the brazed on eventually as I orginally intended. Watch this space. Actually don't,it'll only end in tears.

Coyote
    Free Member

I think that the picture on the bell says more than real words ever could…

MrSparkle

Hell yes.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Do the brakes actually work?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Bodgetastic

A quality effort sir.

MrSparkle

Yup. Back one needs setting up but they both work. Front one is sh1t hot (all things are relative…).

BigDummy
    Free Member

I admire this project for its creativity, its flair, its joie de vivre, the general impression it gives of living in the moment, outrunning Time's arrow, never thinking about the future. It's a bicycle for Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, a bicyle that kisses you gently and asks "why, do you want to live forever?" when you start dull, earnest conversations about braking distances and the integrity of welds. It's a beautiful, free-spirited thing.

What I'm not clear about is whether the thing you're creating is any sturdier or safer than the original… 🙂

RealMan
    Free Member

I've found the source of your inspiration.

That's what you're going for isn't it..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Remember the 'Tandem of Doom'?’ is closed to new replies.