Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Relocating to Spain? Advice please
  • KT1973
    Free Member

I have a new job offer which will require me to move to Spain around the Burgos-Valladolid region. I don’t speak Spanish and I’m going to have to learn pronto
    My wife and 2 young kids will be coming too. How is it for expats around these parts? Will the locals be welcoming/friendly.
    On the plus side, the countryside looks good for MTBing
    Any advice greatly appreciated

donsimon
    Free Member

Are you FREAKING CRAZY!!!!????

donsimon
    Free Member

I’ll give a more comprehensive answer later, but seriously, are you crazy? Do you know what’s happening here?

hels
    Free Member

I drove through there and spent a nite in Burgos on my way home from living in the south – nice town – kind of like Freiberg or somewhere has that 12th century university town feel.

As I am sure you know, the north is a much richer part of Spain than the south, well it certainly looked that way to me.

Bu as Don Simon says – are you sure now ??

ebygomm
    Free Member

My sister lived in Burgos for a couple of years, will see if she has any advice.

I really liked Burgos when I’ve visited.

donsimon
    Free Member

I’m about to move the other way. Valladolid is probably an hour or so away from Burgos and is more industrial. What are you looking at doing here? Will you be working under a UK contract or Spanish contract?
    Valladolid has better communication with Madrid through the AVE train, but the riding is crap…
    ¡Hasta luego!

KT1973
    Free Member

I’ll give a more comprehensive answer later, but seriously, are you crazy? Do you know what’s happening here?

I do understand that the economy is in a mess in a similar way to Greece, but if it goes tits up, I can come home because I’m not selling my house in the UK. The line of work I’m in means I should pick up work again relatively easily.
    If there’s likely to be riots in the streets or animosity towards a foreigner taking their jobs/money then that might make me think twice.

KT1973
    Free Member

I’m about to move the other way. Valladolid is probably an hour or so away from Burgos and is more industrial. What are you looking at doing here? Will you be working under a UK contract or Spanish contract?
    Valladolid has better communication with Madrid through the AVE train, but the riding is crap…
    ¡Hasta luego!

I’ll be working as a consultant and paid in Euros (can’t be avoided) via an agency in the UK

donsimon
    Free Member

Speaking generally about Spain, I think the country is on its arse. Very few areas, if any are growing. Mind you I did speak to someone this morning who said they’re earning a fortune as a teacher/translator, while I’m packing up and leaving.
    I’m not sure Valladolid or Burgos have sizeable ex-pat populations or a healthy bilingual school system. This will make life difficult if you don’t adapt to the Spanish way of life quickly and as I would consider that they are not very well Anglicised or prepared for foreigners.
    What can the company offer you regarding info and help in the move?
    The locals will be friendly enough, but in Spanish. And even though there is a healthy MTB scene, I’m not sure the riding is that spectacular.
    I think you are quite brave, both for the location and the economy.

roper
    Free Member

Spain is a big country so it is hard to generalise but I think it is fantastic. It has its own problems but they tend to be financial and I can live with that. I find the people and culture, at least in Andalucìa warm friendly, relaxed and pretty decent. I live in a small town, but we have always felt welcomed and are part of the community here. It is impossible to walk to the local shops without stopping for a chat. The countryside is vast, compared to the UK, and variable. You really can ski in the morning and be sat on a beach for the afternoon.
    The cost of living has gone up, but the quality of fresh produce is still very high.

mogrim

Speaking generally about Spain, I think the country is on its arse. Very few areas, if any are growing.

Generally agree, although my sector (IT) is starting to pickup.

Burgos is a nice, small town, set in a nice area. Very pretty cathedral. Basically a provincial town, with all the good and bad points that implies. Spain’s slowly opening up to outside influences – even the supermarket in my wife’s home town now stocks curry paste. But don’t expect a cosmopolitan urban lifestyle, it’ll be a lot more laidback than that! Be aware that Burgos gets pretty cold in winter.

It’s about 2 hours from Madrid, and about the same from the Rioja and the Basque country. The main motorway running from the north to Madrid runs round the town, it’s got roadworks all the way from Madrid to Burgos at the moment, although apparently they’ve shut them down for the summer.

I’m guessing the natives will be friendly, assuming you’re not a complete **** of couse 🙂 You’ll be amazed at just how child-friendly this country is, at least on a personal level.

grantway
    Free Member

Probably better looking at a more modern urbanisation area has your more to
    find different people from different country’s there other than just Spanish.

Mackem

Burgos is a nice place, great for strolling around and sampling a few vinos and tapas. It’s a lot cheaper than Madrid and the Basque country which are both easily reached. There’s loads of nice looking places in the region. It does get very cold in the winter and very very hot in the summer. The locals have always seemed friendly to me but I’ve only been there for the odd weekend.

simonralli2
    Free Member

For rapidly learning the basics of Spanish, Michel Thomas is your friend. But you will need to combine that with something like Hugo Spanish in 3 Months. Spanish is not too bad to learn as a language, and you will improve rapidly once you are there. Make sure you get the advanced course as well with Michel Thomas.

ebygomm
    Free Member

My sister’s reply:

“Our experience in Burgos was there weren’t many expats – we didn’t really know any other English people. Not speaking the language that well makes it hard to make good friends but we did really enjoy living there although probably wouldn’t have stayed in that area if stayed in Spain longer would have gone somewhere bigger like Barcelona where there are more people who didn’t grow up there and more nationalities etc. No idea really what it would be like for children – it could be easier to make friends not sure”

KT1973
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies so far folks. I’ll arrive there this pm and I’ll get an update posted over the next couple of days once I’ve had a chance to have a look around the place

donsimon
    Free Member

¡Bienvenido!

Mackem

That was quick! Good luck.

mogrim

Our experience in Burgos was there weren’t many expats – we didn’t really know any other English people. Not speaking the language that well makes it hard to make good friends but we did really enjoy living there although probably wouldn’t have stayed in that area if stayed in Spain longer would have gone somewhere bigger like Barcelona where there are more people who didn’t grow up there and more nationalities etc. No idea really what it would be like for children – it could be easier to make friends not sure

If learning Spanish is going to be a problem this is something you definitely need to bear in mind – particularly for your wife if you’re out working all day. That said, the Spanish are mad keen on learning English, and offering (free) “intercambios” (an hour of chat in English for an hour in Spanish) is a good and very easy way to meet people.

Kids will make friends very fast, and will pick up Spanish at a speed that will astound you. How old are they?

FWIW I don’t have any close English friends out here, they’re all Spanish…

roper
    Free Member

I agree about the intercambios thing. They can be a great way of meeting people and understanding how things are done, rather than just relying on the TV.It is especially helpful if you have kids in school. You would need to ask people to correct your Spanish too. A lot of people are too polite to do so otherwise. Have a look at the coffebreak spanish pod casts too.

Zoolander
    Free Member

One thing to add – the best black pudding in the world is from Burgos!

Mackem

I disagree, I find the Asturian black pudding better, it’s like a slightly minty paste. Yum Yum.

doug_basqueMTB.com

There’s some awesome riding within 1hr 15 minutes drive of there, like some of the best riding I’ve ever done. That’s just what I know of, it’s not really my area.

I know nothing about economics but the north is a lot better off than the south. Locals are ace, friendly although it can take a bit of time to get to know people. Food is brilliant. Learn the language, it’s vital. If you fancy a drive and want to ride off season then give me a shout. Stay away from the Patxaran 😉

mogrim

Stay away from the Patxaran

Are you mad??? What are you on about???

doug_basqueMTB.com

We were dancing and drinking Patxaran last night to celebrate the end of a week with Ed from Great Rock. I think we got home about 10am. I repeat, take a step away from the Patxaran 🙂

mogrim

We were dancing and drinking Patxaran last night to celebrate the end of a week with Ed from Great Rock. I think we got home about 10am. I repeat, take a step away from the Patxaran

Nothing a little kalimotxo can’t sort out, though.

doug_basqueMTB.com

At one point we were thinking of getting a kalimotxo, luckily we stayed on the Patxaran!!! There’s a lot of STW’ers not too far away from here now, we should do a ride at some point. Happy to show people some trails after October but I’m totally busy until then.

mogrim

Happy to show people some trails after October but I’m totally busy until then

Intercambio? Was vaguely thinking about Euskadi Extrem, assuming wife will give me time off 😉

Mackem

Patxaran till 10am? – You’re more of a man than me.

Tell me more about this riding 1hr15m from Burgos.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Mackem, I’ll do better than that once I’ve got the season out of the way and have some free time again… I’ll show you 🙂

Patxaran in the most Basque bar in the whole of San Sebastian, someone actually asked us if we were lost because “giris no vienen aqui”.

Intercambio it is!

KT1973
    Free Member

Just arrived -(I’m only here for a few days initially)
    Torrential thunderstorm from about 50km North of Madrid all the way to Burgos, and 25km out there was a bad accident which stopped us completely for an hour. Fair bit of road works on the go, but otherwise the road is good.
    Some beautiful countryside en route and I’ve only seen Burgos in the dark but so far so good.
    Great to see so many others near(ish) and a meet sounds good.
    I’m really keen to learn Spanish too- I thought about trying rosetta stone. The kids are 2 & 3, which is another reason I fancied doing this just now as it won’t cause too much upheaval on school life

mogrim

Fair bit of road works on the go, but otherwise the road is good.

I did warn you!

At that age the kids will be fine, absolutely no problems at all – and they’ll be a lot better at Spanish than you!

mogrim

Thread resurrection: How did your visit go KT1973?

KT1973
    Free Member

Hey Mogrim,
    the trip went well and I’ve been offered the position. I should get my contract after the weekend and then work my 1 month notice so I reckon I could be over there in 6 weeks or thereabouts.
    I found Burgos to be a beautiful city with some great architecture, interesting history and lots of nice cafes etc. I’m not usually one for visiting religious sites but the cathedral is very impressive and well worth a visit- it’s been restored to a magnificent condition.
    The surrounding countyside is very nice and seems to be some good potential for some decent rides not too far away. We’re currently trying to negotiate a house and car and I’m pretty excited about getting over there.
    It’s true that most folks don’t speak English, but we got by and this will improve as I pick up the lingo.
    Only downside was the crappy easyjet flights to Madrid were delayed 2.5hrs there and 3.5 hrs coming back but there isn’t much else from Scotland to that region.
    So all in all a good experience and I’m looking forward to it

mogrim

Only downside was the crappy easyjet flights to Madrid were delayed 2.5hrs there and 3.5 hrs coming back but there isn’t much else from Scotland to that region.
    So all in all a good experience and I’m looking forward to it

If you’re passing through Madrid and fancy heading out for a ride give us a shout. And bienvenido a España!

(Word to the wise: it will get very cold in winter!)

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Relocating to Spain? Advice please’ is closed to new replies.