Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Relentless
  • rolfharris
    Free Member

I'd type something comprehensible but I got 3rd in men's pairs and now I can't even control my own body temperature.

Organisation and course were excellent, thanks to no fuss and all the friendly people on course!

Top.Dog
    Free Member

i heard the course wasn't very challenging

Miggs
    Free Member

Anything is challenging on lap 10 at 3am!!

MS
    Free Member

My body is not much better luke!

Though i would just put this in 😀 I was 2nd in mens pairs, ended up soloing it from 2am.

If you rode the course for 1 or 2 laps then no its not challenging. But rididng it for 24 hours even the smallest technical bits you have to concentrate very hard.

Anymore challenging then soloists especially would have been broken, physically! I though it was a good happy medium. Seemed a lot harder than last year though, not really sure why, conditions and on the course there was no restbite.

Smee
    Free Member

I thought the first half of the course up until the muddy descent where the course met itself was excellent. But from there until the descent through the fire break was dull as dishwater. I jacked it in at 10pm due to boredom – way too many long straight low angled climbs for my liking.

Russ – there is a difference between not being challenging and not being interesting.

Alek
    Free Member

Scheleschirche-sounds like you heard wrong bud!!

You try cycling that course for +10 laps and you'd have a completely different perspective on it. No rest-bite kinda sum's it up for me.

Most CHALLENGING 24hr course I've ridden. Some of the granny-granny climbs were murder and the new singletrack sections just exploded into a mud fest with no actual line just point, shot and hold on 🙂

15 Laps solo (5hrs sleep) and well feeling 'it'. Thoroughly enjoyed the day and NoFuss put on an excellent event. Top marks from me. That last descent into the quarry was ace.

Relentless by name – Relentless by nature!

I'm off to gorge on food 😀

vit-t
    Free Member

I am with you Graon

VERY dull sections! I got to the point where I could not be bothered any longer riding along a slightly rising straight track and went to bed!

It was a pity given that the course 2 years ago was brilliant and generally No Fuss get their courses right but not this time.

jojoA1
    Free Member

I agree that the course 2 years ago was the best so far. It was tough this year, but there were no bits to look forward to in my opinion. Another wee criticism would be that the marking out wasn't as good as usual. In the middle of the night I was gutted to find myself up at the tunnel at the top of last years climb because the marking was very vague.

I was chuffed to be part of a team that got 3rd in the mixed quads, especially as we were the only one with a 50/50 male female mix rather than 3 blokes and a girl as usual 🙂

Well done to the soloists, it would have been a total mind-****, I need to pick your brains for tips for the Puffer…

Stu

I agree that the course 2 years ago was the best so far.

Just seen this, are you having a laugh Jo? 2 years ago most of the course was fun, but then it finished with about 4km of road and fireroad back from Torlundy. I nearly fell asleep twice on night laps on it!!

Really enjoyed the course this year, much prefer low angled singletrackish climbs than steep horrible, bumpy, sandy fire road ones that you usually get there. The last two descents, lazy K and the firebreak section got a lot more interesting after the rain and traffic towards the end of the race.

Top marks for organisation as usual and great banter on and off track!

Diane
    Free Member

Are the results up anywhere?

Stu

They'll be on the No fuss homepage at some point soon(ish). Think its usually a day or two at most.

http://www.nofussevents.co.uk/

jojoA1
    Free Member

Just seen this, are you having a laugh Jo? 2 years ago most of the course was fun, but then it finished with about 4km of road and fireroad back from Torlundy. I nearly fell asleep twice on night laps on it!!

Oh, yeah, I forgot about that bit… maybe I banished it from my memory as I was so traumatised by it.

I don't really think it bothered me much as the rest of the course was such fun.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

It was my first race of any kind and my first night ride experience.
    I don't have a great deal to compare it with but I had a bloody amazing time. Will definitely be back for more.

I enjoyed the course – the descents were rewarding and the climbs weren't too demoralising at 5am.

I wanna do some more!

trail_rat
    Free Member

i thought it was the best relentless course they ever done ….and ive done them all

it was ideally splitable into sections for soloists …

did 16 laps and stopped after hypothermia was setting in …. foolishly went out in the rain skipping the pits to get a jacket in quest of taking some time back off twinklydave….cost me a finish in the end 🙁

jo i have 1 tip for you …. dont sleep in the cafe its bads for solo effort 😉

jojoA1
    Free Member

It's too tempting when the sofa is exactly the same as the one in our living room… Mmmm cosy!

Alek
    Free Member

Terry…….thats bad news mate. You were flying up to that point. Had you down for a podium too. Tough learning curve. Your game plan up to that lap was far better than mine as I should have stayed out for a few more laps while the weather stayed dry! Just couldn't bring myself to leave that warm sleeping bag at 4am when the rain was tippin it down. Managed a strong 5 laps in the morning (and a puncture/no pump disaster) but by then I was way down. Got 10th though which I'm delighted with considering its only my second 24.
    Good training for the puffer mind and if you hadn't got caught in the shower….who knows. It small judgements that make or break an Enduro. Hope to see you both in Jan (if not before). Take it easy………..

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

enjoyed it a lot.

was in a mens quad, got my best ever race result – 6th. sounds ace, until you realise that you missed out on 5th by 2 seconds!

ah well…

i was lucky enough not to have any wet laps either – literately the rain would stop just before i went out, and came back on when i got in… awesome 8)

nice ot have 3 ladies and a man servicing our every need too… 😆

Alek
    Free Member

Two seconds over nearly 25hrs racing……now thats tough!

Good effort but hard luck too. Did you know at the time that the rider in front was the 'enemy'!!?

deus

i preferred the '08 puffer course.
    but as i had a cold to begin with, it was torture every single one of my poxy 4 laps.

i don't know what it's evolved into but it's not killed me yet, although i feel most unwell.

well done everyone who took part.

Stranger
    Free Member

I had my photo taken a few times as I trundled around the course.
    Anyone know the camera man (or men)?

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

aye, 2 seconds was an arse. we didn't know exactly, but our last guy was chasing him down all the way round, just couldn't get him…

ah well, we were aiming for top 15!!

willv

hungry monkey – that was us just in front. We didnt realise until the last man went out how close it was. Our last man came back white as a sheet with your guy right behind him.

Top night out out 🙂

will

crapbutlovingit
    Free Member

I thought it was a great event and frankly luxuriously well serviced in comparison with the Puffer (no offence meant to the Puffer). Ah the joy of dry, lit loos at 3 a.m.! 🙂

It always strikes me as amusing that the complaints about 'boredom' come from people who sack off an event. Do we read it as an alternative word for 'too mentally weak to deal with the same hill over and over again'??

ASwesome event and will most definitely be back.

Thank you No Fuss. 😀

Smee
    Free Member

No you don't read it as an alternative word for too mentally weak to ride the same hill over and over again.

Stu

Results and Video now up on no fuss homepage:

http://www.nofussevents.co.uk/index/home/1505/

rolfharris
    Free Member

I enjoyed the course- if I were in a 4 it'd maybe be a touch dull but for a pair rider it was a nice balance between safe and fun. I think I need a new helmet though (muddy rooty bit before the wall section). They can piss off it they think they're ever making me ride that tram line again, though. What a horrid bit of trail.

I seemed to get ever single wet lap! Which was annoying- some of you might have seen me napping on the fireguard in the cafe in the wee hours of the morning. Last years course was better, but really ruined me physically. It was nice this year having a bit of a cushion with less climbs.

And, let's face it, it could have been like SITS or Mayhem or any of those southern jessie courses, eh?

rolfharris
    Free Member

Ooo, photos are up on olver coats (the only person I've ever thought takes photos worth buying)

http://www.olivercoats.co.uk/index.php?option=com_g2bridge&view=gallery&Itemid=187&g2_itemId=28300

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Love the column headings in the results spreadsheets – I am "Athlete 3". Never felt so un-athletic though; no energy for most of my laps.

4th place in Vet Quads, though a full lap off the podium so we were never going to make it up.

Agree with Oliver Coats photos being worth the purchase price.

rolfharris
    Free Member

If anyone didn't get how addled my brain was, I just noticed I'm wearing odd gloves in that photo!

Stu

One last point which I forgot about till now. WTF is it with people and litter at races?? I mean at what point do you think its OK to chuck your gel wrapper in the nearest bush/stream/verge. Just because its dark doesn't mean they aren't still there in the morning! Really boils my piss and I'm not the only one – see the no fuss twitter to see that Frazer doesn't really appreciate it either:

Relentless24 is now over and the clear up complete( so many gel wrappers argh) Really enjoyed the event and taking part was an eye opener.

rolfharris
    Free Member

that really gets me too- if you take it with you, it stays with you.

trail_rat
    Free Member

all the **** with those torches who appeared to just be emptying batterys course side need there heads looked at also … i saw 3 piles of batterys lying by the course …..

Relentless killed my forks though …. sids are twisted beyond belief

twinklydave

well I enjoyed the course, after a summer of riding round field edges and along race courses made by mowing grass across a field it was a nice change and had some genuinely fun bits in.

yes there were some long, straight climbs, but they were good for getting yourself into a rhythm (and good practice if you were using the race as a top notch bit of training…)…and only lasted too long if you were riding too slowly 😉

shame on anyone throwing gel wrappers etc away on the course – there's just no need!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Relentless’ is closed to new replies.