Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Reducer headsets – any recommendations?
  • orena45

Currently got a cheap FSA Big Fat Pig headset on my MmmBop but the sealing is non-existent which doesn’t bode well for winter riding.

What are other folks using for 1 1/8″ steerers in 1.5″ headtubes?

(I’m a big fan of Hope headsets so any experience of the new mix n match ones would be great)

djflexure

My Hope reducer is good – but only used for a couple of months.

Mrtrotter
    Free Member

Hope reducer headset on my Cannondale Prophet. Working fine and showing no sign of getting gritty after plenty of mucky rides and washing. Thumbs up here.

Northwind

Hope seemed best value when I got mine… Nothing exceptional about them, they’re adequately sealed etc and well finished. Maybe FSA have added to their range but they didn’t have anything that really competed at the time.

orena45

Cheers folks. As I thought, Hope still the best.

Wozza
    Free Member

I’ve got a hope in a tapered frame with 1″1/8th forks. The mix and match parts got me sorted for not much ££

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Another with Hope here, in C’Dale frame. Seems a good bit better quality than most others, very smooth bearings, nicely made. And pretty good value for money I reckon, about £60-70.

Northwind

Ah… I see FSA finally got with the program, I reckon I’d go with an Orbit Z unless it was a frame that needs a bit of stack height.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Also had the Orbit-Z, and it’s not as nice as the Hope (was available before Hope did one), but costs almost the same I think. Hope definitely better quality. And you can get a zero stack height option too, if you need.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Hope – mine is mint after 18 months of house 🙂

dlr

I had a Hope in my Butcher however the reducer crown race was not tight on my Devilles and made it clunk at the bottom even when done up FT+2. Fitted a cheap superstar reducer one and been fine for months….

orena45

Am I right in thinking the only reducer lower cup option is the ‘D’ cup (oo-er)?

That’s my only ‘issue’ with the Hope reducer – it’s not very aesthetic! At least on the Big Fat Pig, it just looks like a normal headset as the reduced diameter is within the headtube rather than poking out at the bottom like a turtlehead 😀

honourablegeorge

I have a Cane Creek Double X Flush, and it’s faultless, and seems really, really well made.

julioflo
    Free Member

Bought a Crank Brothers one from CRC cheap for my Rush. Iodine. Claims to be ‘DH’, but doesn’t seem overly portly.
    Cups were tight as to fit, but all seems ell 1 month in….. looks lovely too. Fingers crossed.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Reducer headsets – any recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.