Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Recovery from nearly breaking your back – advice please
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

After a fall down stair where all the impact was taken on the vertebrae between the shoulder blades MrsWCA is feeling a bit painful.

We have a nice selection of pills to make her feel better : Dihydrocodeine, Daizapam, Paracetamol, Diclofenac and some Omeprazola to help it all stay down.

The problem is she gets bored when she is not in pain and tries to do things like walk around. This is good in moderation but unfortunately she shares my views on moderation. This has led to her being fine yesterday but in agony again today.

Anyone any experience of how long the acute pain will last? When asking Dr and the medics they just said ‘Lets see what it is liek after these pills have been used’. they then said ‘I have a friend named Jesus’

Anyway, how long before she is likely to see any significant loss of pain?

andrewh
    Free Member

FWIW, I would suggest seeing a physio rather than a doctor. I had a trapped nerve in my back which was causing a lot of pain and some mobility problems. Dr’s attitude was “Your back hurts? Take these painkillers, then it won’t.” Not very helpful, physio was much more use, and you get a little longer than 5 mins for a consultation.

Would also advise coming off any tablets as soon as possible. I was on codine, which made the pain go away but also made me very sleepy and completely useless at any mental arithmetic/puzzles, etc. More to the point, if the pain was hidden I would tend to overdo things, bit like Mrs WCA. It will hurt more in the short term to come off the tabs, or at least reduce them, but it means she will know when enough’s enough and when she needs to stop and have a rest.

HTH.

DISCLAIMER. I am not even slightly qualified in anything close to medecine…

peteimpreza

jackiehen says see a physio

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

andrew – i sort of agree with you but so far the pain has been at trauma point where she almost passes out as the pills wear off. It is getting better and she reduced the dosage yesterday but appears to be paying for it today.

i was wondering if the pain reduction was a straight line, curve with biggest reductions first, curve with small reduction first…

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Nice mix of painkillers, muscle relaxants and anti-inflammatories there. Go see a physio and see what they say.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

If she’s got any Diazepam left over, can I have them please?

They are good for me helps for to makes calm Elfin…

Hope MrsWCA gets better soon btw. X 🙁

andrewh
    Free Member

With a trapped nerve the pain/time graph was like this for me (pain x-axis, time y-axis) No idea what this graph is though, google pic.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Yeah, nice rattle of happy stuff but none for Elfin i am afraid.

Andrew – hers seemed steeper at the start but with some major steps in in. Today being particular

peteimpreza

Get well soon M

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Thanks Pete.

Just givens her the latest batch of pills so she should sleep comfortably.

I just thank God* it is nothing more than bruising. It is the first time I have called 999 for someone else.

It was interesting watching the paramedics lock her into the neck brace and body board. I have only been on the receiving end and I always thought they were brutal. they treated M with kid gloves. Lots of 1,2,3 lift. 1,2,3 roll. 1,2,3 lift. Kind of reassuring.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Recovery from nearly breaking your back – advice please’ is closed to new replies.